Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
For the type of racing I do and at the Summit Super Series races Hoosier is paying contingency money to Box and No Box cars. Goodyear pays money to the pros. I like to run what may pay me a few extra nickels. My junk isn’t fast as most but I have always ran Hoosiers for bias ply slicks, I am now running M/T drag radials because I am trying something new.

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
P.s.
You want a real tire you'd be running a Goodyear slick like every professional class is....
You want to follow the masses for racing fuel, so you should be running a Goodyear slick.
I have always been of the opinion that whatever the top guys are doing you should try to mimic them. I am a strength and conditioning coach, and I call some of the strongest guys in the world my friends, and I incorporate as much of their stuff as I can with my training and my clients. Which is why I will be running Hoosier's. Two years ago a good friend of my, who runs M/T, went with me to the Sonoma nationals, and we walked through the pits together and every Super Gas car accept one was running Hoosier's. He was shocked, I was not having been to several National events I had already checked out who was running what. That's is why I will be running Hoosier's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Coach, good to see you’re paying attention and Hoosier tires are probably 50:1 in all of NHRA Sportsman classes.

If you plan on doing much 1/4 mile racing, I suggest you swap your current rear gear for a 4.86 gear set. I am still of the opinion there is no good reason to be running this big tire on your back halved truck, a 32/14 is all you need and the smaller lighter weight tire is worth ET/MPH.
JA, your right about the weight difference, Ok I am sold.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I have always been of the opinion that whatever the top guys are doing you should try to mimic them. I am a strength and conditioning coach, and I call some of the strongest guys in the world my friends, and I incorporate as much of their stuff as I can with my training and my clients. Which is why I will be running Hoosier's. Two years ago a good friend of my, who runs M/T, went with me to the Sonoma nationals, and we walked through the pits together and every Super Gas car accept one was running Hoosier's. He was shocked, I was not having been to several National events I had already checked out who was running what. That's is why I will be running Hoosier's.
LOL....
Well the top guys are ALL running Goodyear, PS, TF, FC, TAD and the many winners in competition eliminator....

And for your fuel choice well.... They must run Sunoco, NHRA will not let them run anything else.
So the top guys run Goodyear slicks, ....will you....
Didn't think so....

Listen to JAFO....
He knows it all....

NOT.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
LOL....
Well the top guys are ALL running Goodyear, PS, TF, FC, TAD and the many winners in competition eliminator....

And for your fuel choice well.... They must run Sunoco, NHRA will not let them run anything else.
So the top guys run Goodyear slicks, ....will you....
Didn't think so....

Listen to JAFO....
He knows it all....

NOT.
I don't run in the pro classes, (top fuel, funny car, pro stock, pro stock motorcycle) and I am sure most guys on here don't either. My truck is pretty much set up as a Super gas car, so that is what is important to me, and almost all of them are running Hoosiers. I wonder how many of the pro classes would change if hey could? By the way most of the pro mod guys run Hoosier's including Stevie Fast. (2019 pro mod world champion)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I've ran Hosiers for years. The slick I ran used to be, I think, C05 and they switched it to the next harder compound maybe D06. Can't remember without checking and I not in the shop. When they switched I had to change a bunch of stuff to get them to work. Still not happy as they want to barely turn in evening rounds. Ran a set of MTs 2 years ago and they were pretty much the same but slower which was probably because they had tubes and were heavier. I bought them with wheels already mounted barely used or they wouldn't have tubes.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The 16" wheel diameter Hoosiers seem to be very popular. In a 15" the MT is way more forgiving for me. I've tried 4 different hoosiers and on my car the MT was much more consistent. Not saying it would be better for yours but not even close on mine.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
to me all major brands will get the job done with todays tire technology and testing that is done , that being said some maybe a little better than others
i race 10.00 index and 10.50 and only make 650hp i won my class championship on an M&H tire this past year but im going to run a stiff sidewall hoosier this year to see if i can gain a little on my reaction times .

i see a lot of guys running phoenix tires as well

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What i have not seen in these posts is .4 or .5 tree racing. From what i have seen from my area is that Hoosier is more popular in the .4 tree stuff.

·
Registered
23,124 Posts
At 3,000 lbs its heavy compared to everyone else I want to run against. LOL! But, as I truck guy would understand that. How much does yours weigh?
Im at 4600lbs with driver . I run a 30.5 x 10.5 Hoosier CO7 compound . No tubes , with rim screws . Its been 1.25 to the sixty .

My home track ( Orlando ) is always radial prepped . And I dead hook them with 20psi air pressure .

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have the CO7's on my super pro rail hate em with a passion. They shake the feelings out of my teeth and I've had enough. Switching to the M/T lil bubba's like I have on my Top dragster and not looking back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Im at 4600lbs with driver . I run a 30.5 x 10.5 Hoosier CO7 compound . No tubes , with rim screws . Its been 1.25 to the sixty .

My home track ( Orlando ) is always radial prepped . And I dead hook them with 20psi air pressure .
Wow 4600 lbs with the wheels in the air. Mad Props

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have the CO7's on my super pro rail hate em with a passion. They shake the feelings out of my teeth and I've had enough. Switching to the M/T lil bubba's like I have on my Top dragster and not looking back.
Bingo, my car would flap the sidewalls every time I tried Hoosiers. They finally came out with a stiffer sidewall 33x15x15 that is DO6 compound. MT's never an issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
CO7's are way too stiff for a light weight dragster. DO5's would work way better.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
CO7's are way too stiff for a light weight dragster. DO5's would work way better.
Now you're an Expert on tires in a thread you started asking about Hoosier tires and compounds....
Too damn funny....

Nice to meet Ed Bigley's 1 millionth screen name.
FYI, D05 and C07 is the compound structure, nothing to do with side wall strength, that'd be non stiff or regular sidewall and Stiff side wall....

Mkay there cupcakes....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Now you're an Expert on tires in a thread you started asking about Hoosier tires and compounds....
Too damn funny....

Nice to meet Ed Bigley's 1 millionth screen name.
FYI, D05 and C07 is the compound structure, nothing to do with side wall strength, that'd be non stiff or regular sidewall and Stiff side wall....

Mkay there cupcakes....
RC, you are right DO5 and CO7 are compounds, and CO7 is differently harder than DO5. But, there are several CO7 compounds with stiff side walls and that is what I was referring to. I don't know Ed Bigley and I am not an expert.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
RC, you are right DO5 and CO7 are compounds, and CO7 is differently harder than DO5. But, there are several CO7 compounds with stiff side walls and that is what I was referring to. I don't know Ed Bigley and I am not an expert.
You just acted like an expert saying a CO7 compound is to stiff for a dragster... LOL
He didn't say he was running a stiff side wall....

21 - 40 of 41 Posts