Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys looking for some input on which compound I should use. I am almost done with my 58 Chevy Apache 3100 truck. 12 point alston cage, alston back half, Profab 9 inch rear end, 5:14 gears. 572 Keith Black BBC- 15:1 J E pistons, Brodix BB2 plus heads, highly ported and flowed, Pro stock tunnel ram and twin dominators. The truck weighs 3,000. The tires size I will be running is 33x16x15. Hoosier makes three compounds to pick from: DO5, DO6, CO7.

·
Registered
24,523 Posts
No one makes the hard compound for heavy stick cars anymore. M&H used to have a great compound for a stick car. And Firestone had the 14 compound, and Goodyear had the D-3 in lots of sizes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coach, why such a big tire, why not use a 32/14? Regardless you want the CO7 compound
Good question. Partly because I am trying to run 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile without changing gears, I know I am a lazy ass, but that's the real reason. My wheels are weld super lites 15x15

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coach, why such a big tire, why not use a 32/14? Regardless you want the CO7 compound
Good question. Partly because I am trying to run 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile without changing gears, I know I am a lazy ass, but that's the real reason. My wheels are weld super lites 15x15
DO6 is the newest compound and is the best of both worlds IMO.
yeah, I had not seen that compound before. The price is about the same as the others. I am assuming (the lowest form of knowledge) the harder compounds would be better for my heavy truck.

·
Banned
322 Posts
if you're going to call Hoosier speak to my friend and Frank's boss, Faron Lubbers, Hoosier Tire Drag Racing Business Unit Manager

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks again for the help JA. I thought the CO7 compound would be the way to go. I'll call them and see what they say. Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well with that gear your only going to be able to run 1/8 mile co7 will work they will not grow so rpm probably to high for 1/4 mile just my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well with that gear your only going to be able to run 1/8 mile co7 will work they will not grow so rpm probably to high for 1/4 mile just my opinion.
I know, I am going to have to change gears at some point. If I run the 1/4 I'll have to just cruise through the lights at 7200 - 7500 which I could get away with bracket racing, but not grudge racing. I'll have to change gears.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Coach, good to see you’re paying attention and Hoosier tires are probably 50:1 in all of NHRA Sportsman classes.

If you plan on doing much 1/4 mile racing, I suggest you swap your current rear gear for a 4.86 gear set. I am still of the opinion there is no good reason to be running this big tire on your back halved truck, a 32/14 is all you need and the smaller lighter weight tire is worth ET/MPH.

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
LOL! Really? I have been to several national events and I noticed that in super gas which is very close to my set up it's 50 to 1 Hoosier's to M/T. No thanks!
you really are a fucking douche bag, your climbing right up there with JAFO if you aren't one in the same.
You follow the masses, you get left behind....
Guess if all them stupid gas racers jumped off a bridge you'd jump right with...
Cool for you.....
Good luck little buddy.

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
P.s.
You want a real tire you'd be running a Goodyear slick like every professional class is....
You want to follow the masses for racing fuel, so you should be running a Goodyear slick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Coach, good to see you’re paying attention and Hoosier tires are probably 50:1 in all of NHRA Sportsman classes.

If you plan on doing much 1/4 mile racing, I suggest you swap your current rear gear for a 4.86 gear set. I am still of the opinion there is no good reason to be running this big tire on your back halved truck, a 32/14 is all you need and the smaller lighter weight tire is worth ET/MPH.
I am considering it for sure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts