Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)ZIPLOC OMELET

(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet!!!)

Have guests write their name on a ziplock freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them. (make sure bag is sealed tight first)

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shakes it. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes [we did 15 minutes]. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not really...three or more would be fine but the cooking time would have to be extended. I first tried 13 minutes but increased to 15 minutes. Mine had two eggs, ham, red bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, cheese. Gooooooooood Stuf!!

·
Roll Tide!
2,628 Posts
Altitude probably makes a difference to some degree. We use 13 minutes here at about 50' elevation. The omelets are awesome and cleanup is minimal. It's great when there are lots of people, they can write their name on their bags, and walk "buffet style" through the ingredient line and add only what they want.
This is a great recipe, especially if you're feeding a large group breakfast!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
wow, sounds good, i'll have to try this sometime...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Do you need a special bag for boiling or just a standard issue ziplock? Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use the regular ole ziplock bag. Now what I do is roll the bag up from the bottom to get all of the air I can out of it and then seal it.

Brady is right....if you are feeding a number of people for breakfast or brunch this is the way to go. Big ole pot of boiling water and lots of goodies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
wow i never heard of doing this before but it seems pretty simple to do. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Do you just use a standard size sandwich ziplock bag or a different size?

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,077 Posts
I'M WITH YA , MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE THIS A SHOT, AND WHAT THE HELL IF I DON'T LIKE IT I KNOW THE DOGS WILL! LOL

·
John's X275 fan
1,657 Posts
sweet, gona try it.:)

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,077 Posts
SOMEBODY THATS TRIED IT LET ME KNOW. PLEASE

·
Registered
401 Posts
No difference between the two cooking methods. However when feeding a number of people the ziplock method allows all of the omlets to be done at the same time.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Guys, I'm sure it tastes great and is easy BUT you're not even supposed to drink water that's been left in a plastic bottle in the heat (ex. your car) because the plastic releases a toxin into the water. Same goes for plastic in the microwave, toxin from the plastic goes into the food when exposed to heat, let alone food cooked in a plastic bad in boiling water, lol

If you eat Mcdonalds more than once a week-ignore the above, hehe

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,077 Posts
Had them this weekend, home run!!! Easy to make, easy to clean up, Thanks!

Nate

p.s. mine was a 4 egg, and took about 20 min in the water.:tonqe:
COOL THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE I ALMOST DID IT THIS WEEKEND BUT I'M GLAD YOU SAID THAT I'M GONNA TRY IT NOW :)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts