Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 68 Z-28 302 block that has been sitting around my garage for a few years - casting # 3194678. it has a small crack in the block on the main bearing. Is this worth anything being cracked, or is it junk? I want it out of my garage, but if its worth anything I dont want to just scrap it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Have the crack repaired.......

I`m SURE someone would LOVE to have that block for their project.....Just remember to tell them that it has been repaired.....

Casting numbers are EVERYTHING to resto freaks....And they don`t make those anymore.........

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
It may be to someone doing a restoration/show piece that will not be driven. I would try listing in maybe on Ebay or Hemmingways....that or contact a local Camaro club. You may not get much for it but if you did it would be more than you would get for scrap probably.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I didnt want to put any $$ into it getting it fixed if it wasn't really worth anything, I will see what the cost to repair it is then throw it on ebay to see what comes of it. thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Give this guy a call, he can fix anything. He does work for NASCAR, NHRA and everybody in between. His name is Ray Shepherd , 502-645-7444.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I had a brand new 1178 crank(big journnal 302 crank) that had never been in an engine..my dad had ratt holed it years ago and gave it to me. I sold it onn ebay for $906

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a brand new 1178 crank(big journnal 302 crank) that had never been in an engine..my dad had ratt holed it years ago and gave it to me. I sold it onn ebay for $906
wow, thats pretty good. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The blockwould be worth lots of money to some one that needs it to finish his "numbers matching" resoration, alot of those cars are trailer queens cause they are worth too much to really drive. I'd be willing to say they may even just assemble the motor with the crack - cause many of those cars drive on the trailer and off the trailer- in any case its a lot of money. Look at what they get for a "512" casting BBC with the desired date codes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have a large journal 302 crank. i wanted to keep it & use it, but i'd be willing to get off it if someone really wanted it.
I'll think about it, not sure what I am gonna do with it yet. I would like to just get it out of my garage at this point, but dont want to scrap something that is worth something to someone.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
definately a 68 302, engine built july 9th and the second set of numbers is the vin of the car it came out of. you find the guy who owns it and youre in business

124378N470961 SHOULD BE THE WHOLE VIN FOR THE CAR THAT GOES WITH IT.
IF YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN RUN THE VIN THE GUY MAY WANT IT.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
definately a 68 302, engine built july 9th and the second set of numbers is the vin of the car it came out of. you find the guy who owns it and youre in business

124378N470961 SHOULD BE THE WHOLE VIN FOR THE CAR THAT GOES WITH IT.
IF YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN RUN THE VIN THE GUY MAY WANT IT.
thanks for the info, I will check into it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts