Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I witnessed a game yesterday and wanted some outside input:

(I was not in the dugout and did not have any input on how either team played during the game - yes I had a child playing in the game)

Scenario:

11/12 year olds
Playoff Game
5 run/inning limit for the first 5, last inning unlimited runs.
10 in the field/universal batting (only 10 players in your dugout)

After three innings the score is 10-0 in your favor.

Do you change your game management?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buy new kids, pay off refs
:rolleyes:

you're the Coach with the lead. I realize now I didn't put that in. Edited to add that info.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Nothing to change...game is over.

If they are not a travel team using some funky rules, which sounds like they are.

In LL International rules the game is over when thery hit the 10 run differential.

And no either way. I coached for 3 years.

·
asshole
4,146 Posts
Nah, Foot to throats whole time, prove dominant.

this... coaches need to stop the EVERYONE IS A WINNER BULL SHIT!

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
IDK what universal batting is, everyone got a chance at bat. idk what your real question is here though.

You are winning a playoff game and the other team is failing big time. Are you supposed to hold back your players?

Should we assume your kid is on the losing team and you are butthurt cause you team is getting hammered?

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing to change...game is over.

If they are not a travel team using some funky rules, which sounds like they are.

In LL International rules the game is over when thery hit the 10 run differential.

And no either way. I coached for 3 years.
Not a travel team

No mercy rule in the playoffs. during the season the mercy rule was 13 runs after 4 1/2 innings if you were the home team or 5 if the visitor

IDK what universal batting is, everyone got a chance at bat. idk what your real question is here though.
Universal batting is every kid bats in the order regardless if they are playing the field or number of kids on the roster.

You are winning a playoff game and the other team is failing big time. Are you supposed to hold back your players?
/\ do you?

Should we assume your kid is on the losing team and you are butthurt cause you team is getting hammered?
I'd rather not say what side my child was on at this point. I'd like to keep the views as unbiased as possible for now. I will post what side my child was on later.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Either way...you are in the playoffs. You keep playing the same. The more looks at pitches you can get your kids the better for the next round.

Whether you are on the winning side or the losing side, if a parent or caoch can't realize why one would do this, then you miss the point of having a coach and need to get your kids into an art class.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In the regular season we would move the kids around it it was a mathmatically impossible for the other team to win. We spent most of our season getting our ass kick. We were just about always on the playing catch-up side. I never was mad if another team was running up the score on HITS. If they could hit it, smash it. I didn't like base stealing and or trying to create confusion to score runs. But all that said, your in the playoffs, your whole season was to get to here. Play to win the whole time.

·
Hemi's ROCK!!!
32,156 Posts
I say play your game and let it fall however it falls. I was the head coach on a girls travel softball team for years. Before my daughter got too old for youth sports, we had won every World, National, Regional, area, and championships there was to win. That team was badass for several years. I speak from experience. First allow me to say this: a rout is no fun for either team. That said, I must pass this little story along.
We were in Florida playing in the USSSA World Championship Tournament when we ran across a weak team in the first round. They really should not have been in this tournament, but the rules allowed for a couple of local "at large" teams to enter the tournament. Anyway, we were absolutely slaughtering them and I told my base coaches to slow the runners down and just play station to station ball. I was trying to not run up the score and allow the other teams girls to make some plays and get some outs. After a couple of hitters stroked some hits and we slowed down our runners, the umpire shouted "TIME OUT"!! I wondered wtf? He called both managers to home plate and told me in no uncertain terms that I was making a mockery of the game of softball and if I didn't get my offense back in high gear he would award the victory to the other team. I said yes sir and looked at the other coach and apologized in advance for what I was forced to do to his girls. They called the game after 1 inning. They were the home team and after they batted one time, they surrendered as we were ahead by 30 runs or so. Anyway, after that, I never slowed my horses down again.

Plus: if you slow them down against a weak team, sometimes later in the tournament,it is hard to get them playing full speed again.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Plus: if you slow them down against a weak team, sometimes later in the tournament,it is hard to get them playing full speed again.....

Saw that first hand with my daughters softball team. They were very good for a rec ball league, but once they would get ahead on a very weak team the grabass started and sometimes carried into the next game.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I hate it when girls softball teams play grabass...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,374 Posts
it's about the kids. as long as all have had a chance to play then leave it. if not then make sure everyone gets play time.

i was an assnt coach on a youth football team. we were 2-8 and the head coach still refused to play kids that "weren't" that good. I was like, dude, we aren't going to any playoffs. let the kids play and gain some experience.

we fired him next season and went to championship game:cool:

·
Hemi's ROCK!!!
32,156 Posts
it's about the kids. as long as all have had a chance to play then leave it. if not then make sure everyone gets play time.

i was an assnt coach on a youth football team. we were 2-8 and the head coach still refused to play kids that "weren't" that good. I was like, dude, we aren't going to any playoffs. let the kids play and gain some experience.

we fired him next season and went to championship game:cool:
We played every player in every game. But, I had awesome players across the board - the non-starters would have been starters on any other team. I had players that came form 100+ miles away to play for the HEAT......

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?cmenuid=1&url=wcgsheat&sid=670690780

:-D

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I was 13,14,15 I had a very good coach and we were the town champs 2 out of those 3 years. Our coach if we were up that many runs would try all sorts of crazy stuff almost as a sort of real live practice. Change up players positions, bunt like crazy, try to do overly aggressive base running. Stuff like that, then if the game got less out of line then we would switch back to the normal way of play. And every year the last game of the year he let the 15 year olds pick whatever postion they wanted to play. We were always in the playoffs so if we lost that last game it really didn't matter. The funny thing is we would always seem to play well that last game.

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wall street mentality would say you should not keep score everyones equal, I say beat them till they are black and blue mabey they will try harder next time.
gotta disagree, wall street has a similar attitude as YB. Be a killer and eat the weak. I've been "on the street" for 15 years

·
Registered
263 Posts
It sounds like everyone wants to tell there story and are dancing around the question.... I as a coach looking in.. first if I was the team losing. I would change the line up and hope things changed in my favor...If I was the coach with the lead I would make small changes if possible trying to expand my lead. With the all hit rule the hardest thing to do is a batting order. You can change players easy enough but you are stuck with where your hitting is. That makes it hard if you get some weakness in that order and cant move it. Just my 2cents!....other than that I would say its kill or be killed!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts