Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son has been after me to buy him a gun he is 9 but i dont know what would be better for him maybe 4/10 shotgun or maybe something like cricket 22 which one would be better?what have some of you bought your children?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm fixing to order my 12yr old his 1st gun. We went looking this past weekend for a 22lr. After a bunch of looking my son wanted a Savage Arms bolt action. I did some research on the net I have decide to buy him a Savage Arms 93 in .17 HMR caliber with a scope. One of my customers is also a FFL holder and a Savage Arms dealer. He is going to help me get a better price.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17FXP

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Does he already have a BB gun/air rifle. If not, start him off with one, let him learn the fundamentals and safety with it. I'd step up to a .22 after that.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
for Rifles I taught my boys on a cheap .22LR bolt action. they moved up to a Ruger 10/22. this year we moved onto Shotguns (they are 11 & 13 YO). my 13 YO shoots my 12 G pump with no problem (he's big like me), but the 12 G is a bit much for my 11 YO. he was shooting my dads .410 w/no problems though. Im going to borrow my Dads 20G for the 11 YO next time we go out.

for handguns I taught them to shoot my 1911. Again, the 13 YO was OK with it, but it was a bit much for the 11YO. last time we went to the range we rented a Ruger MkIII from the range & they both loved that. my 13 YO really enjoys the .45 though, its just expensive to shoot compared to the .22.

The biggest problem is that they get bored shooting paper, so the shotguns & a box of trap are WAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my son already has bb guns hes been shoting cans and what not since he was 5 he is 9 now hes not really that tall thats one reason i was thinking about the cricket 22 i think he could handle it better or maybe the rossi tuffy single shot 410 he really likes the rossi cause of the look

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
IMO, if he has the mechanics down & is responsible for a "real gun", then I would not hesitate to go with a .22. just about any long gun can be hard to hold for a small kid, so it could get really frustrating if he is just not "big enough" to shoulder it. take him to the range & "try a few on". WAY cheaper than buying something that he hates.

Bob

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'm fixing to order my 12yr old his 1st gun. We went looking this past weekend for a 22lr. After a bunch of looking my son wanted a Savage Arms bolt action. I did some research on the net I have decide to buy him a Savage Arms 93 in .17 HMR caliber with a scope. One of my customers is also a FFL holder and a Savage Arms dealer. He is going to help me get a better price.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17FXP

Just bought a 93FV in 22WMR. Put on a Mueller 3x9x40 extended eye relief scope, it's a nail driver.

Go to rimfirecentral.com,, lots of good folks on there that will help with a decision.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
First gun I got was a 20 gauge pump mossberg, love that gun.

Still use it for small upland game, but mainly use a 12 guage nowadays... eventually I need to get a new stock for the mossburg, still has the youth version on it. But for what it is, its light, cheap, and has never failed me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My daughters first gun at 8 was a cricket, super safe as a single shot that had to be cocked after the round was chambered. She is now 9 with a 10-22 but shoots my AR and an SKS with frequency. The cricket made dad feel safe about the kids first firearm.

·
Registered
954 Posts
do not let him shoot tin cans, I personally know of two different instances where the can spun the round back and went by ones ear, and the other wasn't so fortunate. It hit the guy standing next to him. Yes I know freak things happen, but to witness it twice makes me think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WalMart has the 410/22 that comes with both barrels for around $150. Good for target practice or slug the 410 for hunting when the season arrives.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Go Savage 22...did that for my kids and it was easy to move up to the .243. The guns work the same and have the accu-trigger so they even felt the same. I looked at the Cricket and just really didn't like the quality.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Rossi makes a breech action .22 / 20 ga also.
I agree that the Savage is a great way to go also ^^^^.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts