Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36,779 Posts
Ford blew it. They own one of the most iconic cars in the Mustang, but they have failed to translate that into sales. They spend time and money developing things most people can't afford and fail to concentrate on what should be their bread and butter.
2-door ponycars/musclecars get a lot of attention on forums such as this one but they aren't what's going to carry the load for any manufacturer. They're only about 2-3% of the market and there's comparatively little profit in them seeing as the majority are sold as fleet/rental units. SUVs and trucks are where it's at in North America, and like it or not the electric market is evolving and Ford has its eye on China where pollution is so rampant you can barely breathe. I'd like to send AOC to Beijing for a week and then see if she still thinks America is responsible.....

Speaking of China, the international markets have been Ford's achilles heel lately; their US operations are making money ($7.6B net, 2018). They're turning things around in Europe but China and South America have been losers when they should have been big winners. I'll look for our resident liberals to blame Trump's tariffs but they're not the problem. Not having the right products to satisfy those markets is the problem....and F150s, Navigators and Expeditions aren't the solution.

So to answer the question, no, I don't believe a US recession, which is inevitable at some point in time, will take Ford out. A big enough global recession could put the hurt on them and every other auto manufacturer for that matter. So should we expect one? Dunno, guess we could ask one of those sky-is-falling internet book sellers; they seem to have all the answers.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
10,750 Posts
I'm not gonna do that.. but the article is correct.. if we hit a recession and/or gas prices spike.. they are gonna have a lot of troubles on their hands.. let's hope neither of them happen..
Ford is not alone in this.
I questioned the oem's leadership that axed sedans.
G.m. isn't going to fair any better if fuel prices go up. as they killed most of their cars. and neither ford or g.m. build a tiny fuel sipping powerplant. And if they do/did the killed of the vehicles that used them.
Both should have kept a smaller car with a 1.0-1.3 ltr turbo'd . or at least have that sized engine sitting and waiting if needed.
Mopar if that happens at least can badge engineer fiats.
Chevy's full sized 4 banger isn't a seller now, but if fuel gets to over 4 bucks again, it might be. IF it can get better mpg.
But if it gets the type of crap mileage that the 2.3 turbo 4 in the 2019 ranger gets. why bother.
Our old 2004 ford sport trac with a 4 ltr v6 got better mpg with it's 4.11 gearing, than the new 2019 ranger 2.3ltr turbo with 3.73 gearing. a 4 banger should be getting better than 15.5mpg.
But it doesn't

·
Registered
36,779 Posts
Ford is not alone in this.
I questioned the oem's leadership that axed sedans.
G.m. isn't going to fair any better if fuel prices go up. as they killed most of their cars. and neither ford or g.m. build a tiny fuel sipping powerplant. And if they do/did the killed of the vehicles that used them.
Both should have kept a smaller car with a 1.0-1.3 ltr turbo'd . or at least have that sized engine sitting and waiting if needed.
Mopar if that happens at least can badge engineer fiats.
Chevy's full sized 4 banger isn't a seller now, but if fuel gets to over 4 bucks again, it might be. IF it can get better mpg.
But if it gets the type of crap mileage that the 2.3 turbo 4 in the 2019 ranger gets. why bother.
Our old 2004 ford sport trac with a 4 ltr v6 got better mpg with it's 4.11 gearing, than the new 2019 ranger 2.3ltr turbo with 3.73 gearing. a 4 banger should be getting better than 15.5mpg.
But it doesn't
GM used a 1.4L turbo-4 in their Cruze; it was hands down the worst part of the entire car, reliability wise. Chevy now offers a turbo Ecotec 4-cylinder in the full size Silverado; it's fairly peppy but it buzzes its way to worse fuel economy real-world than the 5.3 version. Ford uses a 1.5L turbo 3-pot in their new 2020 Escape, both the Escape and the vibrating 3-cylinder are getting poor reviews - and the damn thing costs about $35,000. And Dodge has the Durango, which has actually evolved into a pretty nice vehicle but they have a poor track history and they're obviously not gas savers. Dodge badly needs some decent SUVs but the public will quickly catch on to rebadged Fiats and turn from them - and I'm not sure they have the coin to develop a new line in-house.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
10,750 Posts
GM used a 1.4L turbo-4 in their Cruze; it was hands down the worst part of the entire car, reliability wise. Chevy now offers a turbo Ecotec 4-cylinder in the full size Silverado; it's fairly peppy but it buzzes its way to worse fuel economy real-world than the 5.3 version. Ford uses a 1.5L turbo 3-pot in their new 2020 Escape, both the Escape and the vibrating 3-cylinder are getting poor reviews - and the damn thing costs about $35,000. And Dodge has the Durango, which has actually evolved into a pretty nice vehicle but they have a poor track history and they're obviously not gas savers. Dodge badly needs some decent SUVs but the public will quickly catch on to rebadged Fiats and turn from them - and I'm not sure they have the coin to develop a new line in-house.
The cruze is doa, so moot point, and the fact that they can't seem to build a small engine that is worth a damn is kinda my point.
The American oem's need to stop with the re engineering an engine by cutting off a cylender or 2. it never works all that well.

I can only see the 4 banger working in a full sized truck, single cab, short bed, 2wd .
And why I listed what my ranger is getting for shit mpg.

Personally, g.m. should've brought the holden ute tooling over , installed the camaro 4 banger and sold it as the economy trucklet

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,822 Posts
Ford will make me $$$ again? Bought it years ago under $2/share and held while the company and economy recovered, sold at $12 a share. Since I had almost no income I paid almost no CGT on the 5x gain in value.

I wanna do the same with GE....but nope!

·
Registered
36,779 Posts
Ford will make me $$$ again? Bought it years ago under $2/share and held while the company and economy recovered, sold at $12 a share. Since I had almost no income I paid almost no CGT on the 5x gain in value.

I wanna do the same with GE....but nope!
I did the same thing with Ford, but I only bought about 1000 shares @ $2. Wish now I'd bought 100,000 shares. Of course, they could have gone bankrupt instead of rising to $12, so there's that.

·
Satans Daddy
15,181 Posts
I did. I don't really care, but if they are hit, they will file bankruptcy and try to restructure. You aren't going to stop people from buying trucks, even when they are gas hogs. If Iran tries to blockade the strait, Iran will most likely get a rude awakening, because the rest of the world won't let that happen for long.

Ford blew it. They own one of the most iconic cars in the Mustang, but they have failed to translate that into sales. They spend time and money developing things most people can't afford and fail to concentrate on what should be their bread and butter.

They need to dump the dead weight. Brands that have no recognition and ones that are priced out of the general market need to go. They are going to have to bare bones it and get back on track.
If it weren't for Ford, there wouldn't be a Cadillac. ;)

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Ford doesn't need a recession to go bankrupt, they are doing a great job all by themselves.

·
Satans Daddy
15,181 Posts
What several

Then do you know why Lincoln sales are so weak when compared to Cadillac.. I mean Ford did invent the automobiles, Obama Jr.
Off your meds, or heavily on them? New strain? Stump your toe on the canni-butter making brownies. :unsure: :D

41 - 57 of 57 Posts