Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This got me thinking: http://www.dragzine.com/news/2000-horsepower-200-mph-6-second-street-rod-on-ebay/

Street rod my ass!

I tire of every jackass saying his/her car is a 'street' car
I guess it's the 'in' thing.
I like street cars. It's badass to see someone drive 3 hours to the track and knock off a nice ET, scaring a few trailered cars along the way.
I like straight drag cars too. But I grumble at people blatantly confusing the two.

Most of the time, someone tells me about their 'street' car and I muse about 13 or more reasons I wouldn't consider it a street car.

Lately, I'm wanting to slap people about this.

I'll start with the first, and one of the more common offenses

1. If your 'street rod' can't idle in traffic, it isn't a street rod!

Your thoughts, suggestions?
I'm curious at what idle you'd draw the line...

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you have to trailer it to the track and put in race gas its not a street car. Just being tagged does not make it a street car IMO

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
i've always figured it all depends on what you're willing to tolerate on the street. some guys can't stand driving a car on the street if it shakes & rides like shit & makes alot of noise. personally i love that. i will, and have, had street driven cars complete with cages, cells, slicks & spools, scaring the shit out of old folks at traffic lights, rattling windows & setting off car alarms. some would not consider that a street car, but i certainly would.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I consider a street car one that you can RELIABLY hop in and drive EVERY SINGLE DAY if you had to. I'm not talking about drive 2 miles to the store either. For example. My car, although not very fast, is a real "street car". I can go to the track, bust off some easy 11 second passes, then drive 500 miles non stop if I wanted (except for gas). I drove it to Dallas not too long ago, about 6 1/2 hour trip. THAT is a street car. Still gets about 24/25 MPG too.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
About like the Shitstain four or so years ago that zip tied a license plate between the wheelie bars on a pro-mod and ran it in a fastest street car shootout. What an asswipe.

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
Dam sounds like a good time :supz:

i've always figured it all depends on what you're willing to tolerate on the street. some guys can't stand driving a car on the street if it shakes & rides like shit & makes alot of noise. personally i love that. i will, and have, had street driven cars complete with cages, cells, slicks & spools, scaring the shit out of old folks at traffic lights, rattling windows & setting off car alarms. some would not consider that a street car, but i certainly would.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sure. I can put up with a lot. Just because it's reasonably loud, uncomfortable, shakes - whatever. Fine. My car is far from the ride quality of a caddy
I think we should assume the furthest extreme. I meant for this thread to discuss the limit at which your car should not be considered a street car.
No windshield wipers? Probably ok. Lots of us only drive our cars on nice days anyway.
No headlights? Questionable.

Fuel cell that will only take you 40 miles, tops? Questionable.
An idle of 1800 or blower surge that is dangerous in traffic? Questionable.

Any fluids overheating from normal driving or traffic? Questionable.

Having to manually adjust something in the motor with regularity or during a normal drive? Questionable.

Unable to turn, back up or drive otherwise normally? Questionable.

Obviously illegal on the street? Questionable. (no safety equipment, no hood, no street legal tires, no lights, etc)

Needing a battery charged with regularity? Questionable.

Unable to drive 65 miles per hour (highway) for an hour at a time (for any reason)? Questionable.
No. Your car with 513 gear is not a street car.

Etc.

I see idiots in '70 chevelles telling me that their 568 big block with 513 gears that needs its battery charged every night...and can't run for more than 10 minutes at a time without overheating is a street car because they can just barely make it to the local drive in and home, if they let the car sit for a few hours in between

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say if you can't drive your street rod from San Antonio Texas to Las Vegas and back. It's not a street rod.
If you can't drive it to work every day like you do your family car. It's not a street rod/street car,ect.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say if you can't drive your street rod from San Antonio Texas to Las Vegas and back. It's not a street rod.
If you can't drive it to work every day like you do your family car. It's not a street rod/street car,ect.

I think that's ridiculous and going too far

Some of my daily drivers I wouldn't want to take that long of a trip in...

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is the absolute dumbest argument to have a thread about.

My firebird has a 15:1 compression LS (racegas) motor but has FACTORY A/C, ABS, AIRBAGS, WIPERS etc...... ITS A FUCKING STREET CAR.
I just don't ever need to drive it further than I can get on a (factory) gas tank worth of fuel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think that's ridiculous and going too far

Some of my daily drivers I wouldn't want to take that long of a trip in...
Your right that's a little much. My race car now-back when it was my so called street car would have had a hard time with that drive too. But back then it was my only car I did drive back and forth to work everday San Antonio to Austin 56 miles one way for 6 years or so. Every Friday turn the bottle on wipe out a few 10.30s and Cruz home.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
A street car is what you can tolerate. Some can tolerate more than others.
My opinion, if it has plates, working lights, and passes an inspection (even a blind one) its a street car.
That is if it does actually get driven on the street.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,399 Posts
Oh look, it's another whats a street car thread. Where my fucking fork, i want to pluck my eyes out..... Again.

Everyone thinks their car is a street car, and if someone is faster then it's not a street car because of the stupidest reasons that person van think of.

If you make enough money to afford a trailer, and you aren't shy about spending the coin to put race gas in it then why should some broke bitch be able to bitch about your car. Some of us own trailers and motorhomes and want our shit at the track with us. Have to drive 500 miles What a joke....

If someone says their car is a street car then fine, what's the big fucking deal. Who the fuck is anyone to deciede what truely is a street car. I didn't see an election for a panel of street car judges. Get a fucking life, and find something worth actually debating. Have a nice day....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I saw a brand new Corvette break at the track last time I was there. He had to call AAA to get home. Guess it's not a street car.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts