Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your n/a motor like on e85?
I have been struggling to find the sweet spot for e85. I have ran 124 to 125 mph at 11.6 all the way to 12.0 gas scale. No significant changes lean to rich. All done at 27 degrees. I have been trying figure out my fuel before I start to add nitrous. Motor is a 12-1 ls 370.
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm looking for the same answer
I'm gonna put it on the rollers to find out. Hopefully in the next couple weeks

·
Registered
877 Posts
All our stuff is a point leaner on gas scale than you stated.Throttle response will be better .Plug coloring etc.We are 12.5 peak torque and lean up from there.General cruise low 13s work

·
Registered
877 Posts
Our blower stuff is close to area you stated

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All our stuff is a point leaner on gas scale than you stated.Throttle response will be better .Plug coloring etc.We are 12.5 peak torque and lean up from there.General cruise low 13s work
Thanks for the input. Do you run lighter timing than you would if on 110 race gas?

·
Registered
877 Posts
No normally 1-2 degs more over where it would be with race gas.You have any questions pm me and I try and help you through it .
Jeff

·
Registered
877 Posts
Last LS I worked on with similar compression we were 30-31 degs.I don't know what head you have and prep in chamber area so let sparkplug show you what engine wants.E85 I stay in middle of strap for safety.Some guys run lean and low timing and some run fat and allot of timing.I like happy medium.I run cooler plug than most do on ethanol too.9 heat bout hot as I try.If you get afr in 12.5 area and timing in mid strap.Plugs will stay reasonably clean and oil will last longer too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last LS I worked on with similar compression we were 30-31 degs.I don't know what head you have and prep in chamber area so let sparkplug show you what engine wants.E85 I stay in middle of strap for safety.Some guys run lean and low timing and some run fat and allot of timing.I like happy medium.I run cooler plug than most do on ethanol too.9 heat bout hot as I try.If you get afr in 12.5 area and timing in mid strap.Plugs will stay reasonably clean and oil will last longer too.
Thanks a ton for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Back with some updates and plug reading.
Afr 11.6 to 12.0 I was unable to notice any major mph changes. Was 124 mph to 125 based no real pattern. Went to 12.3 afr and picked up mph. All runs were 125.5 to 126.5. Timing was 27 thru all of it. Plug reading that's another story. Here's a few pics. 3 passes on plugs.
Any ethanol plug wizards on here.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You are def getn on edge with that plug imo.If it was me I would throw a cooler plug in and try again.You look up on cad area on upper ring above threads you are showing some color.I wouldn't add timing but I wud try going 1 range cooler plug.Pull one deg timing and go 12.6 Afr and see if mph increases again.I knew if you lean up from where you were you would gain.You have that pretty maxxed out for that timing and heat plug .Did you record weather conds?You Wana watch that closely.If you got in better air all of a sudden you would hurt it.You are very close everywhere on timing etc.Baby steps now.Dont take any large swings.I never run that hot of plug.I find if I can color porcelin a little I'm closer on fuel end where need be.You get bad load of fuel on edge like you are you will hurt it too.I don't see any choppy edges on electrode so it's still safe enough.Nice pics and good of you to show them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
One other thing with cooler plug and play timing a hair safer.If down road engine starts passing a little oil in one hole you won't burn it up as easily either.I like to go as cool a plug as I can keep clean and no misfires.That is safest way imo.

·
Registered
877 Posts
One of those big pics front of strap is a little jagged and some of the specs from it sticking to porcelain.if that a 6 then a 7 might not be quite enough change.I would go -8 and see if you can keep it clean and run good mph etc.Just trial and error for your combo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. I need it. I am learning.
I think I under stand. Too hot of a plug. Back down to 8's (good I have tons of them). Pull 1 degree (that puts my at 26 WOT) and lean it out a tad to 12.6.
Test it. Check for a little color. Does this sound correct?
I do check weather every run these were runs were close 600 800 and 1000 DA dont have my log book in front of me but close enough.

I put a Mighty mouse catch can on and it really cleaned up the plugs. I had a crappy catch can on it before and the plugs would get a little color on them. Now I can tell it was oil on the plugs and not fuel. Reading plugs tell alot of whats going on.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes^^^ that's what I would try next.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Back with an update.
Made a pass -8 projected plugs 12.4 afr 26 degrees. Didnt look like there was any heat in the plugs. Added 2 degrees made another pass. Still doesnt look like any heat in the plugs. MPH was down 3. I am thinking I need to run -7 12.2 at 28 degrees.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts