Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that we have recently moved from the country into an older house in town. I have had some "incidents" in the last couple days that got me thinking and the result is attached below:

You know you own an old house if....

... your roof is so steep that you won't go up there.

... your roof is so steep that professional roofers won't go up there.

... your roof is so steep that BIRDS won't go up there.

... your house looks like it was wired by Thomas Edison.

... your house WAS wired by Thomas Edison.

... you flip the switch and when the light doesn't come on your first thought is "...oh my God, it's the wiring!".

... your basement is ten years older than the rest of the house.

... your basement is older than some third world nations.

... heating ducts were an afterthought.

... heating ducts? What are heating ducts?

... you only have one bathroom but since it is INSIDE you are happy about it.

... you have to flush twice because it's a long way to the street.

... your kid complains about water dripping on her while she is sleeping and you tell her to move her bed.

... the trees in your yard have historic markers.

... the historic markers in your yard are OLD.

... people visit your home and say "Cool. Just like Gramma's house!"

... you visit a historic museum and see houses with features that your house has.

... the features you see in the museum were "cutting edge technology" in the 1800's.

... your idea of "insulation" is old crumpled up newspaper.

... the newspaper is dated from the turn of the century (and I don't mean 1999/2000, either).

... your exterior siding is a declared biohazard in 48 states.

... lead plumbing would be an upgrade.

... your basement has a dirt floor.

... you dig in your basement floor and find a veritable cornicopia of broken glass bottles.

... the bottles you found are older than your grandparents.

... you love old houses and wouldn't trade it for the world.

... well, on second thought ... maybe you'd trade for better plumbing :) ..

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Ours was built in 1956 and appearantly insulation wasn't an invention then cause we did not have any what so ever, had to tear out all the walls last year to insulate. Appearantly the silver backing on the drywall was sufficient for 1956 :smt013 and then damn aluminum case windows with metal screws :smt013 were quality engineering. Hell I would have been happy if they had thrown newspaper in the damn walls and plastic over the holes :smt013 Oh well I'm done with my tantrum....have a nice day :-D

·
Stuck in Lidsville
3,087 Posts
1913 4 square victorian here, I LOVE it ! Fabulous woodwork, hardwood floors, afterthought wiring, plumbing, and the best converted "octopuss" fernace is more eficiant than one might think.. No, they did not use insulation in 1913, nor was there any acsess to the attic when I first bought the house. What a huge difference insulation has made up there, cant wait to get the walls done ! Oh ya, PLASTER and lath also :-D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BADBLACKZ said:
1913 4 square victorian here, I LOVE it ! Fabulous woodwork, hardwood floors, afterthought wiring, plumbing, and the best converted "octopuss" fernace is more eficiant than one might think.. No, they did not use insulation in 1913, nor was there any acsess to the attic when I first bought the house. What a huge difference insulation has made up there, cant wait to get the walls done ! Oh ya, PLASTER and lath also :-D
You're right - I probably should have said something about lath and plaster, too :-D

·
Registered
744 Posts
[quote="Keith Seymore You're right - I probably should have said something about lath and plaster, too :-D[/quote]

What about entering the basement from the outside?? Just kidding Keith!!

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Mine's a 1910 and about half of your list applyied to mine until the dreaded fire of 1999 now it's just fine thank's insurance company, Keith need a match :twisted:

·
Registered
19,904 Posts
@ fifteen cents a gallon for heating oil, who needed insulation!
there's a house near me where the indoor plumbing runs down the outside wall-lol

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Ah, the joys of home ownership... :-D

·
Registered
681 Posts
my house was built in the late 1800's
its great :roll:
insulation, whats that
and the best part is that when they dug the dirt basement they didnt think about the creek 100 ft away so every time it rains I get nice flood which defeats the purpose of even having a basement, cant use it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zeke1 said:
Mine's a 1910 and about half of your list applyied to mine until the dreaded fire of 1999 now it's just fine thank's insurance company, Keith need a match :twisted:
Whew! Been there, done that...my dreaded fire was in 1986. Got a nicely decorated house out of the deal but I don't recommend it as a remodeling technique! :shock:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
My house was built in the late 1800's and it was added on to in 1921. I know its old because half of the beam's in the basement are large oak trees (bark still on them in parts).

I gutted my kitchen a few years ago and found a coke bottle (unopened) from 1921 a Stanley's carpenters wood level dated in the mid 1800's and a invoice for heating oil for .07 cents a GALLON!

This property has been in my families name since Ohio was part of the great "Western Reserve land purchase", I wouldn't trade it for anything. At one time the road in front of my house was the only real path/road between New York and Chicago and the road was called "Road 1".

You need to add to your list:
-My ceilings are under 8' tall.
-The house is no where near square.
-Where the hell did they get that big stone in my side yard.
-My favorite one...Your mantle looks like its been shot by buckshot but its really just 200plus years of Christmas stocking being hung there.

Tom Cowle

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tom_cowle said:
My house was built in the late 1800's and it was added on to in 1921. I know its old because half of the beam's in the basement are large oak trees (bark still on them in parts).

I gutted my kitchen a few years ago and found a coke bottle (unopened) from 1921 a Stanley's carpenters wood level dated in the mid 1800's and a invoice for heating oil for .07 cents a GALLON!

This property has been in my families name since Ohio was part of the great "Western Reserve land purchase", I wouldn't trade it for anything. At one time the road in front of my house was the only real path/road between New York and Chicago and the road was called "Road 1".

You need to add to your list:
-My ceilings are under 8' tall.
-The house is no where near square.
-Where the hell did they get that big stone in my side yard.
-My favorite one...Your mantle looks like its been shot by buckshot but its really just 200plus years of Christmas stocking being hung there.

Tom Cowle
Very cool, Tom. Back when Ohio was the "Wild West", eh?

I love those old brick houses in Ohio (the ones that look like US Grant's birthplace or sumpthin). I can't tell you how often I wish those dudes like Henry Ford, Dave Buick or Billy Durant had landed a little farther south, like Ohio (or Kentucky or Tennesee)!

K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts