Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave bullett all the info about my car and they said they could regrind it for me and make it work better. It was 759/726 278/285 at .050 on a 110... Bullet reground it to .750/.720, 275/282 on a 108. The cam did not change the ET at ALL.

I tried what you guys suggested and increased my 2step to full stall of 5700 and it picked up .03 in the 60 and about 1 mph. The converter is still to tight at 5700 it should be around 6200 or so.

I still have the a351 intake on it right now, but I have a ported edelbrock 2961 to try and see what that does for it.

It has a bo law 950 methanol carb, with a 1.80 glide, 4.88 gear,10.5" slick, 7500-7800 max rpm, 3000 lb mustang and runs [email protected] almost 111.

I am trying to figure out what is holding this thing back but so far no luck... The cam didn't do anything. I know I need to loosen the converter, and try the intake.... I am just curious if the yates heads are what is holding it back... They flow [email protected] But there are guys on here with victor heads flowing less going faster :(

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
And yer still trying to make it breathe through a 4150 carb........

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Things to stop looking at:

- The cam
- The heads
- The carb (other than tuning....Maybe)
- The launch RPM - even if the converter is tight you're not that far off.

This thing is off a mile (looks like it looses over 100 HP in the car), and the heads you have are easily capable of >725 HP any day of the week. More like 775-795 HP on a 427 with the cam you've got.

A 2961 intake offers more lattitude to get CSA/HP than the A intake, so that might be a good thing to plan for the future.

You should have zero problems making well above 700 HP with the 950 HP carb so no reason to think the size of the carb is really killing it either.

Even so I seriously doubt the A intake is the #1 thing that's holding you back unless it's an old restrictor plate deal & many of those were small at the flange opening so you'd notice that compared to the port opening at the heads.

Was the engine ever on a dyno? If so what did it do? Do you have any way to measure EGT? O2? System voltage during the run? Fuel pressure during the run?

If it was mine I'd get over to a chassis roll dyno with a Fluke meter, thermocouple, etc. and sort the thing out that way. Otherwise you're going to spend a ton of money & wear the it out before you find what's holding it back.

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
what rpm is it running out the back? may need more gear. also the cam may be a little small. I hardly think the heads are holding you back. its a restriction issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
heres the cam spec on my 436 with victor heads 2924 intake and a 4150 carb 835/800 lift @.050 duration 280/292 and lobe separation 115 but my victor heads flow around 400 cfm

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
7200 or so cross the line in 1/8th mile. I have turned it 8000 NO et change... Want it to be a low maintenance and hold together without working in it ALL the time.. The turbo combo just burned me out working on it so I wanted to go back to basics with a good n/a combo to run 6.0 index.. No it was never on a dyno.. I just bought it complete new/fresh and trying to get it to run the #.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesel 1.65

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it had 180 cranking compression before the regrind, now it has 170 after... I think this is part of the problem. I have the cam installed 4 advanced as per bullett but something isnt right. The test was done with the carb WOT..

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
A tight converter is going to kill it when your under geared and over headed for the RPM you want to run, I would be stalling it to about 6500 and running it up closer to 8000 its not going to be one bit more maint, That 1-2 shift with that rear gear, and low stall converter is not going to cut it.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
what fuel?

Converter is not helping but it is not making any power either.

Tim

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
14:1 on methanol

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I would expect 14-1 to crank higher than that.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea it is a turd..... The intake ports where they go into the head measures 2.100 x 1.520

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
have a csr and hot battery it spins pretty good

1 - 20 of 43 Posts