Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having problems with xfi cant get help from fast tach cant get into ecu or log any thing tried new cables xfi has worked off and on motor runs just cant change anything message comes up ecu not found worked 2 weeks ago havent changed anything

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are you sure the com port settings weren't accidentally changed? Did you try selecting different ones in the configuration setup? Might be possible that the port you were using before on your laptop/pc is now being used for something else?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Spent 45 minutes trying to connect to look at a log Wednesday night. Tried 4 different computers but didn't seem to matter and all of a sudden it worked. Try different comports and usb plugs on your computer. I would say cycle the power to the ecu a couple times and try again otherwise I don't really know that we did anything to get it to work. It especially pissed me off because I was paying a guy to help me tune it. If this makes me loose a race or not make a round later this year it'll be sold in a heart beat. Bigstuff3 apparently never does this.

·
Registered
900 Posts
go on fast websight, download the new drivers and than try to connect. had same problem last week did that and bingo. with windows 7 and vista. also hit auto connect in connections tab

·
Registered
871 Posts
Are you referring to verion 1.340? Or is there another verison out that i'm over looking/ Link?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Spent 45 minutes trying to connect to look at a log Wednesday night. Tried 4 different computers but didn't seem to matter and all of a sudden it worked. Try different comports and usb plugs on your computer. I would say cycle the power to the ecu a couple times and try again otherwise I don't really know that we did anything to get it to work. It especially pissed me off because I was paying a guy to help me tune it. If this makes me loose a race or not make a round later this year it'll be sold in a heart beat. Bigstuff3 apparently never does this.
That's why I always keep a computer with a serial port. Every time there is an issue with communications it's always been related to the USB ports. One car I worked on lately works just fine with my serial port computer. The car owner's laptop will communicate with the motor off, but start it car and it won't connect.

The only time I have seen a communication problem related to the ECU was when the owner of another car, swapped the positive and negative wires at the battery and fried the box.

Don't let somebody lie to you. BS3 can have it's own issues as well. Several local cars run BS3...one of them will not save the changes. 2 others will log in the pits with the ignition on but will not log once the car is started.

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
That's why I always keep a computer with a serial port. Every time there is an issue with communications it's always been related to the USB ports. One car I worked on lately works just fine with my serial port computer. The car owner's laptop will communicate with the motor off, but start it car and it won't connect.

The only time I have seen a communication problem related to the ECU was when the owner of another car, swapped the positive and negative wires at the battery and fried the box.

Don't let somebody lie to you. BS3 can have it's own issues as well. Several local cars run BS3...one of them will not save the changes. 2 others will log in the pits with the ignition on but will not log once the car is started.
David Page at Comp Cams/FAST is great to work with. Just call Comp Cams and ask for David Page. You might get his voice mail, but leave your info and he WILL call you back. I had a spooling issue last year and David went to the ends of the earth to try and help me. As it turned out, it wasn't even ECU related (torque converter issue).

As for other ECU's not having problems, that's a flat out lie. ANY ecu is capable of having issues like this. I will say that I purposely use an older laptop because it has a serial port (no need for a USB to Serial port adapter). However, Derrick Bailey at BB&T Racing used his own (newer) laptop with a USB adapter both times the car has been on their dyno with no issues.

BTW, Dennis and Derrick Bailey of BB&T Racing have 2 Skinny Kid built 10.5W cars (04 Mustangs) and both originally had Big Stuff ECU's. One of them was built for them (twice) by Keith, and the other is Brian Carpenter's former car (red car that won 10.5 at the WFC 9). The red car has failed to make the call at 3 races since they bought it last fall. All three failures were problems with the Big Stuff hanging all 8 injectors open and flooding the engine with literally gallons of fuel. It was an intermittent problem, so it was very difficult to track down. After the failure at Duck's SGMP race, they gave up on the Big Stuff and converted the car to FAST XFI.

They converted their blue car from Big Stuff to XFI with the touch screen dash when they had it redone with the big engine at Skinny Kid the 2nd time. If you call and ask them, they will tell you they liked the Big Stuff, but they just feel more confident in the reliability of the FAST.

That said, ANY ecu can have issues. Wiring is often the culprit. Improper grounds (not enough of them, or not a direct enough/low enough resistance connection to the ground on the battery) are the biggest problem I've ever encountered from car to car. I think someone already said it, but you might try replacing the Serial to USB adapter. I've seen those adapters fail on a number of cars due to all the twisting and bending they get in and out of the car.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts
BTW, Dennis and Derrick Bailey of BB&T Racing have 2 Skinny Kid built 10.5W cars (04 Mustangs) and both originally had Big Stuff ECU's. One of them was built for them (twice) by Keith, and the other is Brian Carpenter's former car (red car that won 10.5 at the WFC 9). The red car has failed to make the call at 3 races since they bought it last fall. All three failures were problems with the Big Stuff hanging all 8 injectors open and flooding the engine with literally gallons of fuel. It was an intermittent problem, so it was very difficult to track down. After the failure at Duck's SGMP race, they gave up on the Big Stuff and converted the car to FAST XFI.

That said, ANY ecu can have issues. Wiring is often the culprit. Improper grounds (not enough of them, or not a direct enough/low enough resistance connection to the ground on the battery) are the biggest problem I've ever encountered from car to car. QUOTE]

Injectors switch to ground through an injector driver. Maybe the same guy wired all three cars at Skinnys.

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Injectors switch to ground through an injector driver. Maybe the same guy wired all three cars at Skinnys.
Mike Browne of Wires & Pliers did their blue car the first time around (back when it was Maroon), and did the red car before he was killed in a car crash. I'm sure most people know that Joe Oplawski (Hyperaktive Performance Solutions) acquired all the assets of Wires & Pliers a while after Sparky's death. The BB&T guys did the wiring themselves after the 2nd build of the maroon (now blue) car.

To my knowledge the BS3 in the Maroon car never had the injector problem. I think the reason for the switch in that car had something to do with some custom stuff related to the mountain motor on M-5 with twin 106's.

The red car was different story. The 1st race they entered with the car the crank sensor lost connectivity at the plug (at the sensor). Nothing to do with the BS3. The 2nd time was at Hattiesburg. It had done the flooding thing once before at the shop, but they thought it was a fluke, but it did it in a later round at Hattiesburg and that time it cost them the race. Same thing at Duck's race at SGMP. Car ran great in testing and qualifying. Ran a 4.68 @ 170mph breaking the beams with the BACK tires. 1st round, went to fire it, flooded out. Got back to their pit, and the fuel cell was empty. Pulled the plugs and every cylinder was full to the brim with fuel. Judging from the volume of fuel that came out of some of the cylinders, it would appear the intake manifold was full of fuel as well. The exhaust system and turbos also had a large volume of fuel in them (same as at Hattiesburg). Since the gremlin only appeared intermittently (when it really MATTERED, as it turned out), the decision was made to switch it to XFI since they have had such good luck in the past with FAST.

I think would be appropriate to note, my point in bringing this up isn't a knock on the BS3 or any other stand alone engine management system. It is only to say that ANY of them can have issues. Further, I think is important to note that the guys at BB&T have no issues with BS3 and they tune cars with Big Stuff systems with great success on a daily basis. However, their luck on the red car with that system wasn't so good. Unlike the blue car, the red one was a complete turn key deal when they bought it and there may have been other pre-existing issues that contributed to the BS3 problems in that car. Brian Carpenter had an XFI on that car when it was built and it was later converted to BS3. Dennis and Derrick were able to buy his old wiring harness for the XFI and they already had an XFI ECU sitting there, so switching it to try and cure the problem was a no brainer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Depending on what softwere you computer has may not have the correct drivers.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/Downloads/Software/USB_Drivers/
Those are the drivers for the serial to usb. Not the program (tuning software). I thought ya were talking about there is a update for the tuning software.

you have to download and install the first one. Restart the computer, then Depending on what OS you are using download the 2nd one or 3rd and restart again. Go in to the COM under deivce manger and set the comp to what fast is, OR see what is and change it in fast.

·
Registered
594 Posts

We have a serial port on our computer but the usb works more consistently. The only thing that we can make work is to shut the power completely off to the FAST and cycle the on switch a few times to the computer with the main power off. Then turn the main power on and it usually works. It just has been one thing after another with the XFI for us. We have raced twice and it has been shipped back to FAST twice. Both times they have had to work on it. Also now it will not log properly. This is not our first rodeo with XFI either. We had success with it before on another car. We aren't giving up on it, yet.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
We have a serial port on our computer but the usb works more consistently. The only thing that we can make work is to shut the power completely off to the FAST and cycle the on switch a few times to the computer with the main power off. Then turn the main power on and it usually works. It just has been one thing after another with the XFI for us. We have raced twice and it has been shipped back to FAST twice. Both times they have had to work on it. Also now it will not log properly. This is not our first rodeo with XFI either. We had success with it before on another car. We aren't giving up on it, yet.
This doesn't make any sense. Cycling the switch while there is no power on it:confused:

Is the box powering up when the switch is on every time?

Are you charging the car with a 16 volt charger with the power on??

One car I tune with BS3 has issues once the laptop battery gets below 50%. It will start showing crazy shit in the fuel and timing tables such as 65* of timing everywhere. If I plug the laptop up to the power source and re-connect, all the data is like it should be.

If you have another XFI close by, swap them out and see if it still does the same thing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Switched to XFI three months ago. It's working great - not a single problem. Sorry to hear you're having proiblems. I work with Robin Pool at FAST - great guy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
having problems with xfi cant get help from fast tach cant get into ecu or log any thing tried new cables xfi has worked off and on motor runs just cant change anything message comes up ecu not found worked 2 weeks ago havent changed anything
Its amazing how a company like FAST can get a bad reputation for not answering a tech phone call on a saturday.:confused::confused::confused:

Did you ask anybody local to you that runs the same stuff?Maybe they could help you out in a pinch.

Maybe datalogging parameters are setup wrong??

·
Registered
594 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. Cycling the switch while there is no power on it:confused: I know.
Is the box powering up when the switch is on every time? Yes

Are you charging the car with a 16 volt charger with the power on?? No, has that been a problem before?

One car I tune with BS3 has issues once the laptop battery gets below 50%. It will start showing crazy shit in the fuel and timing tables such as 65* of timing everywhere. If I plug the laptop up to the power source and re-connect, all the data is like it should be. I'll keep that in mind. I will try to keep it connected.

If you have another XFI close by, swap them out and see if it still does the same thing. don't have one close anymore. most people we run around with are carb guys
Everytime we call FAST we get very good support. The only time we've not been able to get them on the phone it was in the afternoon and we figured they closed early or something.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Yes. Do not charge a 16v battery with the ingnition on, it can cause issues. When you send 18v+ to your XFI or MSD box it can create problems. I've never had XFI have an issue with the 16v charger but others have. We had to send a BS3 box back.....something inside blew from the 16v charger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts