Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been using the FAST stuff for years..upgraded to the XFI 2.0 recently
and I am about to use the Adaptive Learning function for the first time..
Anybody have any tips..?

Oh...Will I see the VE table numbers change as it corrects..?

Thanks Ahead!
Matt

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The VE table won't update live on its own, but you can push the F3 button and it will update. The best tips I can give are:
1. If you want it to learn idle, let it get a cell to the point of very little correction and then go in and make the surround cells the same value so it is flat in the idle area. Then set the Minimun TPS% to 2 so it can't tweak the idle area again. This will help keep a good flat idle.
2. Try to drive around easy on the throttle transitions to get all the cruise area learned. It turns off learning briefly to allow the O2 to settle if you move the throttle too agressively. This keeps it from learning BAD stuff due to the extra Accel fuel on tip in.
3. On WOT learning you can turn the gain up quite a bit since WOT throttle is loaded more and pretty much smooth, it can learn that area very well.
3. Once you get everything learned decently, you can go into the VE table and manually interpolate the surrounding cells that you might have not spent enough time in to learn them fully. You can find them easily by pressing the G button when in the VE table to see the 3D map of VE. You will easily see any big "holes" or "mountains" in the areas that don't fit. Just try to smooth those out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Matt,
I'm thinking Bluzman knows what he's talking about. That pump gas small block of his seems to run pretty good!

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
The little engine that could! :Boobs
The first time I took a serious look at it at Holly Springs I couldn't believe what you are getting out of it. That car is a TUNING marvel!

Question for you Ron. I have an old school F.A.S.T. XFI on my car. Can it be upgraded to the new adaptive learning software?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yep. It's just a software and firmware update. You boosted stuff will like it with the time based boost control and all the new revlimiters for staging and boost building. Also we're finishing a new free update of the 2.0 called 2.003 that has, amoung other stuff, a user adjustable peddle time that you can set so if you peddle it, stops the time based boost controller and restarts where it left off at if you're within your select amout of time. Tons of new stuff!

Thanks for the good word on my car! Hopefully it picks up some more this weekend. I hoping for low 40's or better! Gotta get ready for next weeks Mean Street race at Holly Springs! :smt070

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Yep. It's just a software and firmware update. You boosted stuff will like it with the time based boost control and all the new revlimiters for staging and boost building. Also we're finishing a new free update of the 2.0 called 2.003 that has, among other stuff, a user adjustable peddle time that you can set so if you peddle it, stops the time based boost controller and restarts where it left off at if you're within your select amount of time. Tons of new stuff!

Thanks for the good word on my car! Hopefully it picks up some more this weekend. I hoping for low 40's or better! Gotta get ready for next weeks Mean Street race at Holly Springs! :smt070
Thanks for the info Ron! I should my engine back any day now, but unfortunately I won't have it back in time to make Valdosta. But when I DO get it back, I'm going to need to get the upgrades to the box. I've always ran an AMS-1000 boost controller so I'm very comfortable and familiar with it, but it will be interesting to see what Comp has come up with for the XFI system.

I'm looking forward to 2012 season. I'm hoping we will have some X275 (John Sears rules) racing at Holly Springs next year. If they come up with some decent turbo size rules for Mean Street (they are WAY off right now), I'd like to run both classes if they run them on different weekends. If they run them on the same weekends, changing turbos between rounds isn't realistic, so I'd have to just pick one class and run it.

Looks like there's a good possibility I'll be there for the next Mean Street race. I'll stop buy and introduce myself if I'm there. That's a cool ride and you have a car that's just right for what Mean Street is intended to be. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would like to see you back out running your car again. I think the rules will get ironed out for next year. There's too many cars wanting to run the classes to let it get out of hand.
I hope they do the X275 rules, too and on a seperate weekend. There are alot of guys like you that could do both easily. Shoot I'm setting mine up with a second stage and better pistons over winter just incase, so I can try to run both too.

See you at Holly Springs, ONE, if not THE, best hooking tracks in the South!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The VE table won't update live on its own, but you can push the F3 button and it will update. The best tips I can give are:
1. If you want it to learn idle, let it get a cell to the point of very little correction and then go in and make the surround cells the same value so it is flat in the idle area. Then set the Minimun TPS% to 2 so it can't tweak the idle area again. This will help keep a good flat idle.
2. Try to drive around easy on the throttle transitions to get all the cruise area learned. It turns off learning briefly to allow the O2 to settle if you move the throttle too agressively. This keeps it from learning BAD stuff due to the extra Accel fuel on tip in.
3. On WOT learning you can turn the gain up quite a bit since WOT throttle is loaded more and pretty much smooth, it can learn that area very well.
3. Once you get everything learned decently, you can go into the VE table and manually interpolate the surrounding cells that you might have not spent enough time in to learn them fully. You can find them easily by pressing the G button when in the VE table to see the 3D map of VE. You will easily see any big "holes" or "mountains" in the areas that don't fit. Just try to smooth those out.
I have the idle dialed in manually as I always have..
wanted to see if it makes any changes ..
I see it turns learning on and off..not sure why that is at idle..

oh so I guess pressing F3 is just a refresh to see the update to the VE table..

Great info!
Thanks Loads!

Matt

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
oh so I guess pressing F3 is just a refresh to see the update to the VE table..
Matt

I dont know if i'd look at it as a refresh as much as it is a force to the VE cell the car is currently pulling from the most.

An important note that he made above is MAKE SURE you go back and clean up and ass backward cells adjoining each other. As you do this though it will mess with your overall A/f.

let's say you f3 a cell that was forcing 25 and now it forces 30 with very little closed loop correction. Sweet, problem solved...right?

Well, what about that cell beside the new 30 that is still, say 22? That dip in from that cell to the 30 can cause problems if the motor ever gets there. But now when you go back and smooth up the 22 to say a 28.....the motor might pull a little from there and the 30...effectively giving the motor more fuel than there was before if it was pulling from two cells simultaneously. It's kinda hard to explain in typing, but it'll take a little effort to totally smooth out what it is adaptively learning.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
One thing that does help and I don't know if any of the other systems do this in their "learning" algorithym, but when you are in the middle of 2 or 4 cells, it interpolates (calculates how far into each cell you are and uses that portion of each one). Well it also learns this way, too. If you are in between 2 cells and it learns a value, it puts most of the learned percentage into the cell you are the most in and the rest into the other. Same with 4 cells. This helps greatly in not creating "holes" in your map. We call it reverse interpolation.

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
One thing that does help and I don't know if any of the other systems do this in their "learning" algorithym, but when you are in the middle of 2 or 4 cells, it interpolates (calculates how far into each cell you are and uses that portion of each one). Well it also learns this way, too. If you are in between 2 cells and it learns a value, it puts most of the learned percentage into the cell you are the most in and the rest into the other. Same with 4 cells. This helps greatly in not creating "holes" in your map. We call it reverse interpolation.
David Paige did a great job a few years back in helping me understand the value of using the 3D views to better see the "transition problem areas". All too often I'd have a fairly obvious transition problem right in front of me on (any) of the numerical tables and I would fail to notice it. Yet on the 3D view it sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
David Paige did a great job a few years back in helping me understand the value of using the 3D views to better see the "transition problem areas". All too often I'd have a fairly obvious transition problem right in front of me on (any) of the numerical tables and I would fail to notice it. Yet on the 3D view it sticks out like a sore thumb.

So.....True....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
How can I get the update? On line?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you don't have the 2.0 update, you call the FAST tech line and pay$50 and they will take your serial number and send you an option file to enable the feature. Then you download the latest software for 2.0 and install it. If you have 2.0 already, you just download the latest update and install is for free.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I will pull the serial number and give them a call. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts