Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
93 Ford Mustang GT (only actual Ford parts are the body panels)
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll take help wherever I can get it but I've been trying to get in touch with FAST for 3 days now, waiting on hold, tweeting, sending emails. I'm not a special person by any sense but come on.
I have a 90 SBF short block, twisted wedge heads,b303 cam (for now), victor junior spyder intake, 72 lb low imp injectors, twin 66s, xfi with a dual sync distributor. I want to run sequential so I did the 50° set up. Problem is when I put the dizzy in the way it says to, the wire harness hits the intake and dizzy no go down! Also alot of the instructions I've read on alot of FAST guides and wire diagrams soon to be missing words or hinting at "your guess is as good as mine". I'd love to talk with someone that knows this sh*t. Anyone?

·
Registered
18,784 Posts
You can rotate the shaft/housing to where you have clearance. The only thing you're trying to do is line up the rotor shaft with the distributor housing home signal relative to the crankshaft position.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that but the cam signal is only picked up in 1 spot, the crank is picked up in 8 spots. The distributor cap only goes in 1 way. If I put the engine to 25° BTDC and stab the dizzy where the cam and crank signals are both on, the rotor will point towards the front and the #1 cylinder will be in the front of the dist instead of the rear where it usually is. Besides entering 25 BTDC How does the XFI know where the #1 is?

·
Registered
18,784 Posts
I understand that but the cam signal is only picked up in 1 spot, the crank is picked up in 8 spots. The distributor cap only goes in 1 way. If I put the engine to 25° BTDC and stab the dizzy where the cam and crank signals are both on, the rotor will point towards the front and the #1 cylinder will be in the front of the dist instead of the rear where it usually is. Besides entering 25 BTDC How does the XFI know where the #1 is?
Stop worrying about trying to get the rotor to point to a specific direction at #1 TDC. Set the engine at around 50deg BTDC. Put the distributor in with the rotor pointing and direction you think it should be. Then rotate the housing and find the home signal. If you have a housing clearance problem with the rotor facing that direction, pull the distributor out, rotate the rotor 90deg and turn the housing 90deg in the same direction. Or rotate it 20, 45, 60, 100, 110, or whatever it needs to be rotated for the clearance you need that is as close to where you want it to help with your plug wire routing.

Once it "fits" and you know where the home signal occurs, where the rotor points when the next crank trigger signal arrives is where the #1 post is will be.

The simplest way to understand is the alignment of the rotor/distributor housing determines where #1 post is on the distributor cap but they can be rotated together when installing it on the engine to get the clearance you need.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I'm going to get some pictures for ya later. I have the rotor at the "home signal" which I believe is when the cam led is on and the crank led is just turning on, the engine is at 50 BTDC, the sensor in the dist is moved to the 50° position and the reluctor is on the edge of the #1 wire. Did I understand the directions? Lol

·
Registered
18,784 Posts
Ok I'm going to get some pictures for ya later. I have the rotor at the "home signal" which I believe is when the cam led is on and the crank led is just turning on, the engine is at 50 BTDC, the sensor in the dist is moved to the 50° position and the reluctor is on the edge of the #1 wire. Did I understand the directions? Lol
Sounds like you are doing it right. It's as simple as just putting the distributor in with the rotor pointing in the direction that lets the distributor housing be in the position it needs to be to for the wiring harness to clear while it also stays in the correct position relative to the rotor.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, another question. I keep having these crank sync errors coming up. I put the timing light on the mark and it looks like it's pretty much what the ignition table is saying. How do I figure out why the sync error keeps popping up?

·
Registered
18,784 Posts
Ok, another question. I keep having these crank sync errors coming up. I put the timing light on the mark and it looks like it's pretty much what the ignition table is saying. How do I figure out why the sync error keeps popping up?
My experience is with Haltech units but I'm pretty confident the error has nothing to do with the timing being right or wrong. I suspect you simply have have a bad crank sync or trigger signal. The ECU expects to see a sync signal and then 8 crank signals before the next sync signal. So if there is a problem and the ECU doesn't see this pattern you will get an error.

Let's assume there is no problem with the signals. Is your ECU setup for an 8 cylinder? if it is set up for other than an 8 cylinder, it will see more or less trigger signals between sync signals.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it's set up for 8. It starts and runs.........ok I suppose. This timing and syncing just has me confused.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still dont have this dizzy set up right. Idk what the fuck is going on. I put the engine to 50 BTDC on compression, there is only 1 way I can put this thing in and it's running like a bag of dicks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried but it puts the #1 post on the opposite side of the distributor. Then the wires get all crossed and still runs like shit

·
Registered
18,784 Posts
I think you're making it harder then it should be. You do know that it you put it approximately where you want it you may have to rotate the crank to get it to drop down all the way. Then you rotate the housing so you get the home signal to "trigger" somewhere around 90 degree. Then the next trigger signal will be #1 cylinder at less than 90deg. My #1 trigger signal activates right between 72-80deg BTDC. Then I tell the Haltech ECU thru a setting that what that lead is and it works out the math so the timing table is accurate. I get it close, lock the timing to 20deg BTDC and check it running. If it's no right, I change the setting in the ECU to give it more/less "lead".

I have a SBF dual sync distributor (Accel) on my engine for the last 13 years. Of course your model may be different. The wire harness coming out of it on the front towards the radiator and I have no problem setting up the timing correct. Perhaps you should take a picture of the distributor installed, turn it until the home signal bulb turns on then take a picture with the cap off and rotor installed. Along with the picture state where the engine is relative to TDC.

If I remember correctly, I install my distributor so my rotor is pointing approximately towards #2 cylinder when the engine is at 20deg BTDC and the wire coming out of the distributor housing is pointed towards the front of the engine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I know I'm making it harder than it should be lol. It just seems like I keep changing it over and over and end up with the same result

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll take a picture tomorrow or friday. I think I understand what you're saying. We'll see what happens

·
Registered
18,784 Posts
I'll take a picture tomorrow or friday. I think I understand what you're saying. We'll see what happens
Even if you have a different dual sync model the basics will be the same. I think if I see where you're at I can give you specific instructions to get the distributor installed correctly. Remember, when you need to turn the distributor HOUSING clockwise (to simulate the rotor turning in the right direction) until the signal light just turns on. After you take a picture with the home signal, turn the crank until the next trigger light comes on and make a note of where that it is relative to BTDC.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts