Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aviation Section
25,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great photos..............

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/#more-1547

The link above takes you to 110 rather vivid photographs taken during World War-2 in the Pacific theater. This man had a B-29 crew then, heading for the Pacific when the war ended. I, a year or two later, was in many of the areas shown flying an aerial photography plane, a B-17, based first in Guam, and later at Manus Island in the Admiralties about 1000 miles south of Guam and 90 miles south of the equator.

This series of photos show war as it was; cruel and ghastly, but our young men and women, despite many hardships, helped fight it to the end and ultimate victory. It is amazing to me that most of the photos uncovered by the Denver Post have never been seen before. One, #106, towards the last of the 110 shown has however been shown many times; that of Navy EM on victory night, passionately kissing, and holding up a bent over backwards nurse. I've seen captions of it saying that when she got "loose," she slapped him rather hard.

There are many fairly recent comments at the end. However still wonder where these series of photos have been hidden these many years since 1945. I might add that there are many other photographs in this series that can be also "clicked" and opened to see.

Dave

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Wow those were amazing photos.I understand why they were considered the greatest generation.They were tough and loyal Americans united for one cause.

·
draggin' ass
13,415 Posts
The Denver Post has had several wonderful photo archive collections online. These are just as impressive as others. thanks for sharing.

·
up and running soon.
13,182 Posts
Wow those were awesome pictures thanks so much.

·
11,809 Posts
amazin pics and i stayed up and browesd them and the normady ones at link on bottom too...thank you for sharing !

·
Registered
727 Posts
A little history could prolly tell us how to end another war! The A-Bomb pics are crazy and they sure put a end to WWII

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
Amazing, thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's simply amazing that these pics haven't surfaced until recently. Thanks very much for sharing them! My grandpa, who is still around, served on the PF-28 Emporia in the north Atlantic and I'm very proud of his service to our country! Although he won't say much about his time spent during active duty, what little he does talk about is very enlightening as to what these soldiers and sailors went through to protect this country.
Again, thanks very much for sharing these pics!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hmmm.won't work now?

Error encountered when trying to connect to Director: transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining

·
Aviation Section
25,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try is again, it came right up for me just now when I clicked on the link. Dave

·
Registered
306 Posts
I spent some time in the Pacific while in the Navy . Alot of really cool history there if you ever get a chance to go it'll make you proud to be an American . Most humbeling would have to be the island of Tinian where they loaded the" Bombs" , and went to Nagasaki . Still a very scared city .

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
What most people don't know, and the schools won't teach, is that the Japanese didn't surrender for another 6 days after we dropped the second bomb... it wasn't until we carpet bombed some more of their country with a few hundred Super Fortresses flying totally unopposed, that they surrendered.

All the revisionist history about "we dropped two bombs because we wanted Stalin to think we had more," or "we dropped two bombs to prove some kind of point" is BS...

-Brad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts