Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine builder I used charged me 950.00 for a brand new eagle crank for my LS motor AND THEN charged me 150.00 to turn it???? WTF????? Are you for real????:smt072

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Maybe he screwed it up and is making you pay??? Sounds fishy to me. I would call him on it and if you don't get satisfaction in his answers, I would pursue it more. Sounds like something isn't adding up???

SpeedAddict

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
Actually, I hang out at a very reputable machine shop in Atlanta, and have seen them check Eagle cranks pretty often, and they usually need to be turned or dressed in some way. And I don't hang out there every day, so the fact that I've seen it that often tells me it's pretty common with Eagle cranks. They've said it's pretty much SOP for Eagle cranks. And I've seen a couple that they sent back, because they were so far out of spec.
They've demonstrated and showed me how one area on the journal will be at one spec, then 90-degrees out on the same journal will be a different spec, showing oval journals.

-Brad

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got shafted pretty hard by this place (another story) and just noticed that on my invoice so I was like wtf??

·
Registered
508 Posts
man, if you got shafted before, why did you go back? but turning new eagle cranks to make them right isn't out of the ordinary, as mentioned before.

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
So let me get this straight for my own understanding. You spend $1000 on a crank from a reputable crank manufacturer and the local neighborhood shop decides that the crank manufacturers work isn't up to their standards and the Mom & Pop shop whittles down your new crank?

Not in my world...

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
Well I got shafted pretty hard by this place (another story) and just noticed that on my invoice so I was like wtf??
We had a discussion about engine builders and engine assemblers this week....which did you employ?:smt102

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
So let me get this straight for my own understanding. You spend $1000 on a crank from a reputable crank manufacturer and the local neighborhood shop decides that the crank manufacturers work isn't up to their standards and the Mom & Pop shop whittles down your new crank?

Not in my world...
you need to come up in the world......:-Yapor at least go through a few hunderd "........." cranks...(feel free to insert several Brand names).

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
well i dont know that i would call Eagle a reputable Crank Mfg. I would say 30% i have used needed work before they went in the engine, CHEAP CHINESE SHIT

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
happens all the time. my thousand dollar eagle needed to be ground. no big deal. rather have a machine shop that checks than one that doesn't.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yeah , i've also had my machinist tell me about an Eagle that needed turned to be right clearance wise, he also told me that he has gotten them from Eagle and the journals were already cut .010.BUT either way they or myself have never seen a performance problem always had good luck.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

Not in my world...
ive seen 1000 dollar eagle and scat cranks that needed 5 - 6 hundred worth of heavy metal to balance lmao what people dont realise is spend the extra money for a callies or some other reputable crank and when all is said and done u will have spent less on it than u would have on the cheap junk crank after it gets straightened out

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
ive seen 1000 dollar eagle and scat cranks that needed 5 - 6 hundred worth of heavy metal to balance lmao what people dont realise is spend the extra money for a callies or some other reputable crank and when all is said and done u will have spent less on it than u would have on the cheap junk crank after it gets straightened out
Callies is the way to go, spend once for quality, never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
i agree 100 percent its the only crank i will use i had a cola in my old 540 and it used to eat up mains ended up being there was a hairline crack in the crank put a callies magnum in and the problem was solved

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
The Callies Magnum crank is not much more and they are right on the money.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Actually, I hang out at a very reputable machine shop in Atlanta, and have seen them check Eagle cranks pretty often, and they usually need to be turned or dressed in some way. And I don't hang out there every day, so the fact that I've seen it that often tells me it's pretty common with Eagle cranks. They've said it's pretty much SOP for Eagle cranks. And I've seen a couple that they sent back, because they were so far out of spec.
They've demonstrated and showed me how one area on the journal will be at one spec, then 90-degrees out on the same journal will be a different spec, showing oval journals.

-Brad
Been there - I believe.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts