Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the shootout and the Holley event, why the hell do the all-motor cars have to be so damn heavy?

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
I think they are trying to give the guys with smaller motors (346) a chance against the big 440+ motors.

But I dont see anyone showing up to run 8's with a 346.

Way to much NMRA/NMCA class rule BS involved.....

Only 4-5 cars show up for that class to begin with.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. Im reading over the Milan results from Friday and wonder why they dont use a similar weight. (2900 for small blocks)
I would have liked to have seen the Holley event done differently but it apperars they took the easy road and adopted the shootout rules. We are starting to get my car together, and I just cant see adding 400 lbs of ballast, changing center sections, and changing torque converters to race these events.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would like to see the weights come down as well. I wish these organizations would better think through what they need to do to attract more cars. Some of the rules are keeping some people away.

·
Puttin'er in the beams!
1,336 Posts
Totally agreed..

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
I agree.... it's ridiculous to make an n/a car weigh 3500lbs.

this shootout is suppose to showcase the power these things can make and while we all know going 160mph in a 3500lb tank is hauling ass, the regular spectator just sees a car go 8.50's...
Now, if they would have dropped the weights to 3000lbs (which is an easy weight for fbody's to get to), they would have seen low 8 second passes and possibly some high 7 second passes. Personally, I think they should be 2800lbs...
I looked at the rules and I would have to put 800lbs in my car.. f that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I guess they are trying to slow the really fast cars down but I agree that a 3500 pound car like Jud got stuck with is plain ridiculous. Let the other cars weigh less maybe or they can just try building a real engine instead of a tiny deal and then crying about how slow it is. Just build a larger engine in the first place as it cost less overall and is faster and more reliable. I never have understood it but people just can't stand seeing fast NA stuff I guess?

It's borderline dangerous slowing a car down that friggin heavy at those speeds. I guess I understand a little about the race heads and trans vs cathedral port people and auto's but 3500+ is just out there. As far as the wee ones going slower maybe just let them be way slower and then maybe less people will build stuff that way after seeing reality instead of comp eliminator stuff where you get rewarded with a way lighter car by building a weaker less reliable way smaller engine like in the NHRA.

Maybe just say 450 inches max and 3000 pounds min and let the chips fall where they may. We might actually see a 7.999 though then with really good air!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A 7.99 would be a great way of showcasing the lsx platform. No downsides to this approach and I'd bet the car count would increase.

·
Registered
896 Posts
the real issue is its a bunch of slow street cars that get mad they cant compete with a real well thought out planned purpose built race car. but promoters want a big car count and think its easier to have a bunch of slow cars show up then a few fast cars, a few slower cars and everyone pushing the limits (imagine that) lol

its a race for christ's sake, not a car show. n/a cars need to be light. from a fan perspective, its boring to watch slow n/a cars. let them fly!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Big car count? LOL when have they EVER had that? It all comes down to the dopes making the rules are clueless.... always has been in LSland.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Totally agree. The LSFest rules are as you can tell influenced by the NMCA/LS rules. I think the rules for the LSX/NMCA race don't make sense and that's why you see a small number of cars show up. FWIW Judson was in the rules committee for the Holley race and some of us did push for weight drops which I recall did happen.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Jud's engine in a 2350lb chassis car in the unlimited class would run high 7.20's n/a. His engine made almost 1100hp. My buddy's comp car makes under 1000hp and runs [email protected]+ @2350lbs
Instead, he is stuck with a tank and run mid 8's...

I like the LS Fest and it is head and shoulders above the LSX Shootout, but the n/a class needs to be changed.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Support, show up, hang out, and your voice will be heard.
Pretty hard to show up and support when they don't allow you to bring your car. My voice says let me bring my Dart block LSX with a F2 and run Outlaw radial. Its not like I'm going to run a 7.40 and beat Brown or Turley, etc... anyways.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Id think with the resources Jud has he would have no issue upgrading the chassis cert in the Camaro to go faster than 8.50s. :smt017
Support and showing up isnt that simple. Not many are gonna make that haul to spectate. Not may are gonna come race with zero change of being remotely competitive. The people with the $ and resources to be competitve with the SAM car are not gonna put their money into a 3500 lb car that is set up to race once a year. Pretty simple to figure out what will continue to happen.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
This will be a good race to fly in to check out, we all know that. If you guys do I'll show you who you need to say hi to from Holley so that later when we talk about rule changes you'll know who to address your comments to.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Myself am one of the slow guys, Probly will run a index class at the shootout, But read the rules for all the classes and thought the weight was crazy myself. My car weighs less and is a stock internal car with minimal weight reduction. I will be at a higher level just starting out but i will never make that weight. I hope they change that rule because i enjoy watching these cars run like they should.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
This will be a good race to fly in to check out, we all know that. If you guys do I'll show you who you need to say hi to from Holley so that later when we talk about rule changes you'll know who to address your comments to.
I'm not against that and might end up doing that John. It would be nice to be able to race though but it is what it is.

Still waiting to see the payout info for the LS Fest. We still might bring something for the Unlimited class.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts