Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just finished replacing the head gaskets o my 6.5TD for my 1996 K3500... Along the way I did studs, gaskets, injectors, glow plugs etc... The truck is running now however there is an intermittent problem and I have been all over the 6.5 forums, but I figured it was time to try YB out... Every other day (roughly) I go out to start the truck, it takes a good 8 seconds to start, followed by a big puff of white smoke. The other days it starts right up. To add to that, if i start it once, it will start great for the rest of the day zero issues. Also, when it does run, it runs awesome! Before asking the inevitable: The glow plug system is working perfectly, all new grounds, and brand new raptor lift pump putting out 10PSI... Brand new crank sensor, brand new PMD, OPS filter removed... only other thing i can think of is an optical sensor itself, or the pump itself? I have been driving the truck with this issue for the last month, trying all the above things one step at a time with no success.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
5,332 Posts
A 6.5, you don't see many of those around.
So, typically your problem sounds like it sucking air or bleeding down overnight. When I get a truck that's bleeding down I just change every O-ring and rubber fuel hose on it, it's all old brittle rubber and that usually fixes it. So try that first.

The reason your probably getting the white smoke is because you cranked it for those 8 seconds, every revolution those injectors spray fuel, if it does burn that fuel (not start) the fuel goes in the exhaust, when it finally starts the fuel in the exhaust burns and creates the cloud of white smoke. White smoke = unburnt fuel, if the injectors are worn out and don't atomize the fuel like they should you will also get white smoke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts