Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hard blocked big block. I run the car on the street. I recently put a oil temp gauge in, and found my oil to be running quite hott after a short bit of driving.
Water temp is 180 while the oil will fluctuate between 200 and 235 depending on if i'm stopped or driving (this temp will continue to rise if i keep driving). I have loose tolerances in my motor and dont want to harm the motor with thinned out oil. I run vr-1 valvoline racing oil, wix racing filter, i also put some lucas in it.
What do you guys run for oil coolers? I want to know the best cooler on the market for racing engines. One that has the least pressure drop from inlet to outlet, and has a high flow rate. I looked on a few other sites and couldn't find to many folks running them.
Thanks,
Gregg

btw i run a procharger, so i figured i'd post in this forum :)

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
What size pickup is in the oil pan? tube dia? Your lines to the cooler should at min match the pickup tube dia.
Most case -10 or -12 for lines work. Good time to think about a remote filter/s housing. Then use a Setrab
oil cooler maybe a header cooler. But the Setrab are very nice. You will need the M22 to -10 or -12 adapters.

Let me know if we can help on any of this.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure of the pickup size, but a -10an will probably be suitable. I went on the setrab website last night and went through their coolers. I think I came up with the m22 as well in looking at their data. I think the cooler is 500 to 600$ range. Does this include anything other then the cooler? Where is the best place to mount it?

also what would be the ideal oil filter relocation kit? I heard some are cheap and restrictive. I need a good one.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
16" x 9" for less than $300. The larger cooler cost most cooler only.
Fitting lines ect... are all extra.
Mounting depends on the car. It need s a fan or good air flow.
As for filter re-location yes stay away from the cheap cast junk.
Something like this... Run away from.

This is good one

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
who makes a good relocation kit? I will check them out on summit racing and see what they have to offer. I'll call setrab about their cooler and see what they have to say. :)
I was thinking of mounting the oil cooler in front of my radiator if at all possible, this way i wont need a fan.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok someone on turbomustangs was telling me that oil at 230 degree's is not hott. He said road racing cars get up to 300 degrees. I need to ask this, What is the boiling point of oil? how hott is to hott?

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Summit really? Then why ask questions here? :confused:

The ability to keep engine oil cool is important. Oil should have a min temp 180f+ is a good start oil temp
and a max temp of 230f -240f. A good range is 185f to215f.
The actual bearing may be 50f to 75f hotter than the bearings. Plus with the filled block you are using the oil
to cool block.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
robert thanks for that information, thats very informational. Engine life along with performance will be affected by the oil temps. The block is half filled, so there is still water going through the motor.

I know to look at setrab for their coolers, and I'll see if they offer relocation kits as well, but if not where else could I look for other them at?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
GM sold a kit, basically a spacer under the oil filter w a internal element, only lowers the filter about 1.75 inches. Circulated coolant thru it and keeps the filter on the block. Real compact. Think ir was for the older 80's model vettes.
I used a few over the years on some marine applications

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
robert thanks for that information, thats very informational. Engine life along with performance will be affected by the oil temps. The block is half filled, so there is still water going through the motor.

I know to look at setrab for their coolers, and I'll see if they offer relocation kits as well, but if not where else could I look for other them at?

Just giving you a little bit of crap.

With the part filled block you depend on the oil for a larger part of you cooling.

Setbrab cooler, CV or Canton block and filter adapters.
-10 Aeroquip or XRP fittings and line.

If you want me to quote you a price let me know.
If not spend your dollars with a shop on Yellow Bullet!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you could quote me a price. I want to see what i'm going to have to spend. Having a cooler will allow my motor to last longer, and also allow me to drive it farther.

Morris- thanks for that info. Thats what I was looking for. :)

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
if you could quote me a price. I want to see what i'm going to have to spend. Having a cooler will allow my motor to last longer, and also allow me to drive it farther.

Morris- thanks for that info. Thats what I was looking for. :)
I'd be glad to help out.
Give me a call and let know what hose end you need and the length of hose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts