Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen or used a kit from these guys ? Just curious on the quality of the hotside. I will be providing my own turbos wastegates and blowoff valve.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Hell any more all of it's made overseas. Calling it Junk might be a tad harsh unless you've owned one of thier kits. Have you? What experience do you have with it to justify that harsh of an opinion? No offense with this next statement because I don't have any personal experience but I have READ the same thing about YOUR work on the Internet. If you have had experience with it, please by all means share it with us. I like the kit. I like the layout and packaging. It's tight and it puts a lot of hot parts in a small area. That's normally not a good thing. I like the short primary lengths and the 4 into 2 into flange layout too. I think it's a technically good system, except for a couple of compromises made to package it like they did. I'd really like to talk to someone that has ran it before.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hell any more all of it's made overseas. Calling it Junk might be a tad harsh unless you've owned one of thier kits. Have you? What experience do you have with it to justify that harsh of an opinion? No offense with this next statement because I don't have any personal experience but I have READ the same thing about YOUR work on the Internet. If you have had experience with it, please by all means share it with us. I like the kit. I like the layout and packaging. It's tight and it puts a lot of hot parts in a small area. That's normally not a good thing. I like the short primary lengths and the 4 into 2 into flange layout too. I think it's a technically good system, except for a couple of compromises made to package it like they did. I'd really like to talk to someone that has ran it before.
Yes I have fixed and replaced two WrenchRat Turbo setups on personal freinds cars. They are using sub par materials. Cheap grades of Stainless. Cheap Labor. They are produced over sea's because they can get it done uber cheap. I call them Like I see them. A decent layout and packageing doesnt mean shit if the rest isnt there.

Please point me in the direction of the Website you have read concerning my work being Junk. I would like to see it. I doubt you will produce it though. I have heard it before from the competition.

I see to you are Local in Bowling Green. Feel free to stop by my shop. I am always interested in meeting local guys in the Turbo Game.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Now I said don't take offense, lol. Doing a google search for you brings up a post you did on a pro touring site I believe. First response was Junk!!! followed by I kid I kid!! Now technically I read on the Internet that your stuff was junk by reading the descriptor to that link. I wanted to know if you had put your hands on one of the kits personally. And sorry for ruffling your feathers a little bit to try and prove my point. Way too much mis information and pissy attitudes on the Internet anymore to discern good information from bad. Again no offense meant.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious what had to be fixed ?

Yes I have fixed and replaced two WrenchRat Turbo setups on personal freinds cars. They are using sub par materials. Cheap grades of Stainless. Cheap Labor. They are produced over sea's because they can get it done uber cheap. I call them Like I see them. A decent layout and packageing doesnt mean shit if the rest isnt there.

Please point me in the direction of the Website you have read concerning my work being Junk. I would like to see it. I doubt you will produce it though. I have heard it before from the competition.

I see to you are Local in Bowling Green. Feel free to stop by my shop. I am always interested in meeting local guys in the Turbo Game.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Josh does outstanding work. He is the only (well.. him and shearer) "company" that made me consider not doing the hotside on my new car. They make some of the nicest stuff. Just makes me drool. Promise you wont find anything truthfully bad about KYTP. I just can't justify the money. So I'll end up building this one like i did the last.

Anyways I think if you dont have the money for someone like Josh to take care of ya then by all means you can give some china cookie cutter junk a chance to get ya by. But always keep in mind you will probably end up welding on it eventually.

Can always buy up a box-o-bends and start learnin yourself ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
The over all setup and design wasnt the issue. It was the wear and tear. The vibration play'ed hell on the welds. I welded them both up, then replaced them. In thisgame you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Josh I WILL be giving you a call ...
Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Un Informed I guess. Dunno Really. My shop is well known in the LSx World. I do alot with SBC and BBC and SBF setups too. I am a one man operation so I try to keep advertising and the shop grounded as to not get over run.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Josh,

Please tell me which systems you have 'fixed' and what was the issue (pm me your personal friends names that purchased our systems, I would like to contact them to find out what happened since this is news to me)... We have NOT had any customers call back with ANY complaints or problems, all have been positive feedback and they're laying down killer numbers. Also, not sure why you would have to fix anything since we warranty the hot-side and cold side.... Turbo's also have a 1-year, no questions asked warranty from Turbonetics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LilJohn,

Which compromises do you see with the system and it's packaging? We always like hearing feedback on the system as we're always looking to improve upon the current design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a customer with a full interior 1967 Chevelle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIqedWswvWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o84bSeJE2Hg

Thanks,
Brian Wolfe
Wrenchrat Inc.
(509)714-0226

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Brian, since you asked nicely. Lol. There's two things I see. First is the entry into the turbine housing. It's not great, but it's not the worst. 2nd thing I'm not a fan of is how the kit fits so tightly. That's a lot of hot pipes in a small area with the way you wrapped the header around the downpipe. Take my opinions with a grain of salt. You did it that way for a reason. My ideas are based around race car designs and applications. For example I feel spark plug access is a top priority in packaging. I fully understand it's not a race car piece.

Now for something I really like. Your header design is something I've been wanting to try for a while. The 4-2 with a split scroll housing instead of a 4-1. With the right wheels in the turbo my guess is that you should be able to tighten up the a/r's, get better spool response, and not choke the motor out as well

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
I ran a 10.5 shootout in Albuquerque last year and saw Jonathan Ballew's car with a wrench rat turbo kit on it.. It looked like a good kit, and it does put over 1000hp to the ground.. Jonathan ended up winning the race.. My dumbass runner upped..

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are none, He’s just fishing for customers.
It really shows how classy of a guy he is to step in and bash another vender, and make up stuff to bash them about.

Josh you are my hero you rock dude!!!! :SHTF
Thanks. Glad I could be your hero.
Fishing for customers. Thats funny. I dont need too. I turn down more than I take.
I voiced my opinion based on my experience with the setup. I call them like I see them. Dont really care what others think.

I fixed two cracked header flange weld seams. Couldnt tell ya why it was cracked. Didnt care. I welded it up and called it a day. A month later they pulled the setup and installed a BBC and I fabbed them a Large single setup. End of story.

YBBitch:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Brian, since you asked nicely. Lol. There's two things I see. First is the entry into the turbine housing. It's not great, but it's not the worst. 2nd thing I'm not a fan of is how the kit fits so tightly. That's a lot of hot pipes in a small area with the way you wrapped the header around the downpipe. Take my opinions with a grain of salt. You did it that way for a reason. My ideas are based around race car designs and applications. For example I feel spark plug access is a top priority in packaging. I fully understand it's not a race car piece.

Now for something I really like. Your header design is something I've been wanting to try for a while. The 4-2 with a split scroll housing instead of a 4-1. With the right wheels in the turbo my guess is that you should be able to tighten up the a/r's, get better spool response, and not choke the motor out as well
LilJohn,

Thanks for the feedback and hopefully you can build a 4 into 2 turbo setup here soon, like you said, with the proper matching of equipment you can build a very efficient setup.

The reasoning behind the compact design was to not only fit numerous vehicles but also for strength and to keep the heat concentrated in that area. Keeping all of the primaries short and compact with so many bends adds strength to the header system (think of a bicycle frame). When the piping heats up and thermally-expands, the pipe can expand outward on the curve instead of putting pressure on the joints/welds. A straight pipe can only expand out each direction from thermal-expansion and when you put a 90 or 45 degree bend on the end of it (ex: exhaust port), it will expand straight out each direction and put pressure on the welds instead of being able to grow outward on a curve. The more bends on a turbo header design, the better.

As far as the heat and compact design, on a turbo setup your trying to keep the heat concentrated (more heat = more exhaust energy = quicker turbo response) in one area and get that hot exhaust to the turbo as quickly as possible (short primaries). The further the turbo is from the engine the less energy it see's since the exhaust has time to 'cool' from the engine to the turbo. 321-stainless is also a poor conductor of heat (great for engine bays, keeps radiant heat down), so it retains heat in the pipe much better than 304-stainless and especially mild-steel, it's also stronger and has a much longer lifespan. When hanging turbo's way off the engine your also using more piping (more piping area to radiate heat) and the more weight that the piping see's by supporting a turbo further away from the engine. If you put a brace on the turbo(s) you have to worry about header cracking from the thermal expansion of the piping since the turbo is in a fixed location, you also have to worry about engine movement, the piping then turns into an additional motor mount and see’s added stress.

The 2 primaries that enter the turbo’s have a good, ‘roughly 90 degree’ sweep down into the turbo, similar to most 90 degree collectors used on 4 into 1 turbo-header collector setups (ex: Nelson Racing Engine’s TT system). While a direct shot into the turbo would be optimal, the loss you’d see by a good 90 degree sweep is most likely minimal.

Spark-plug access:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts