Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad has some 22LR ammo that's been sitting for 25-30 years in a dresser drawer. Does ammo have a shelf life? He also has some 20 gage shotgun shells that have been sitting about the same amount of time.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Shoot it up,unless its been wet,its fine,remember to clean your gun after,alot of the old ammo had corrosive powder.

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Most of mine (12ga, 308, 9mm, .45) is from the 90's, during Clinton's assault on the 2nd. Never had a problem. Got a bunch of 7.62x54 from the 1950's, a couple of non-fires out of several hundred shots. "Keep your powder dry".

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The biggest enemy of ammo is high heat storage, or excessive vibration (that breaks up the powder kernels and makes them burn faster=high pressure). I'd be more worried if the ammo had been in the pickup truck's glove box for 20 years, for example.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
If its corroded, no. If its not, yes. Look for corrosion. Its green. When properly stored, ammo's shelf life might be close to yours.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Still shooting some of my dad's Winchester 22LR that was purchased in the early '80s. Fires every time.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I shot up some stuff my grandfather bought in the 1950's ( remington ) , stuff was heavily wax coated , actually shot better than some new Winchester white bulk stuff, it was kept in a gun cabinet for all them years only 2 FTF's and that was because the wax prevented the striker from hitting .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts