Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I had a little problem this past week with my new rearend guy at the shop. We set up our four link brackets with matching aluminum spacers to set the location of the four link brackets compared to the face of the housing and somehow he managed to find another spacer that looked just like the one we use only it was about a quarter inch longer which put a twist in the brackets. It's not really noticeable from the naked eye and we wouldn't have caught it but the four link bars were coming up wrong when we went to install it. After checking he had built two housings to completion like this (luckily neither left our shop). My quandary is that I have 4k in housings laying on my floor with nothing more wrong with them other than the bracket deal. I went inside the housings and wrote that they were built that way and were not sold as new. My question is what do you think about me selling these as blems. I don't think it would affect the performance of them nor the strength, and it would give someone a great price but I always worry about my reputation and even though it would suck I would rather cut them up than have people think we send things out like that. I get a lot of feedback from this site so I would appreciate your opinion on the matter.
Thanks Dan

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t617/AdvancedChassis/IMG_1644_zpsb1168ca1.jpg

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts
How much of a discount would you take off if sold as a blem? How much would you charge to fix it? Its alot to sit on in material and labor not to sell but you dont want something leaving your door that you would not use yourself. If you fix it and powder coat it, it would be fine for the right price.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
2K for a bare housing , is that what you sell them for ? I would of just put them on Ebay or sold them as special ordered to customer specs and not picked up . But now everyone knows you screwed up, cause anyone that buys that stuff is on the YB ;) ---Trevor

·
Capri For Sale
12,968 Posts
They've got your name on them either fix them or junk them. Seems like the only choice. Sometime, somewhere, someone will represent them as being new perfect housings and that's when your name will get trashed. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
427Capri said it best.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,854 Posts
They've got your name on them either fix them or junk them. Seems like the only choice. Sometime, somewhere, someone will represent them as being new perfect housings and that's when your name will get trashed. It's just not worth it.
x2 .... i get blems at my shop and when i do no name or anything goes on them .... and i sell them as blems ...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to spend good money after bad fixing them as it would take a day or two a piece to cut that many layers out and sand them smooth and replace everything. I think if a guy was building a car on a budget, saving a grand on a housing would allow you to step up big time. I have a couple of personal projects I might consider putting them into (waaay overkill for them though) so I at least won't have to throw them out. To whomever mentioned that people now know I made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes, it's how you fix them, that you are judged! We have tripled in size the last couple years and mistakes will happen, but we try to attack every mistake and make sure we fix the core problems. I actually engraved a message on the inside of both housings stating what happened so they could never easily be sold as perfect, or brought back to me as twisted. BTW I would use these in my car no problem, there is nothing structurally wrong with them. I also engraved "lifetime warranty" in there just in case. Thanks for the input...Dan

·
Maderator
16,246 Posts
I ain't scared.... Nor would I ever say a bad thing about you since you were honest about what happened.... Pm me a price on one.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I hate to spend good money after bad fixing them as it would take a day or two a piece to cut that many layers out and sand them smooth and replace everything. I think if a guy was building a car on a budget, saving a grand on a housing would allow you to step up big time. I have a couple of personal projects I might consider putting them into (waaay overkill for them though) so I at least won't have to throw them out. To whomever mentioned that people now know I made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes, it's how you fix them, that you are judged! We have tripled in size the last couple years and mistakes will happen, but we try to attack every mistake and make sure we fix the core problems. I actually engraved a message on the inside of both housings stating what happened so they could never easily be sold as perfect, or brought back to me as twisted. BTW I would use these in my car no problem, there is nothing structurally wrong with them. I also engraved "lifetime warranty" in there just in case. Thanks for the input...Dan
I will give you 50 bucks for one ..don't care about warranty ..

·
Registered
11,446 Posts

After reading that I see no problem selling them at a discounted price.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Engrave this

"http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24398066&posted=1#post24398066"

That way any buyer know the whole story. Lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, it's hard enough to read my writing let alone something that long! I have never had any issues selling my blems before but usually they were just the wrong dimensions so technically for the new owner there was nothing wrong with them. A lot of my newer customers tell me they researched me on the bullet before coming to the shop. I just want to make sure I keep my reputation on here, it's worth a lot more than a couple grand! I am going to sell them on racing junk making sure to let them know exactly what they are getting. The gentleman that asked me to PM him above please email me at [email protected] so I don't get in trouble for doing business in the forums.
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I think what you have done is sufficient and you are being up front and honest. I would think that the buyer of this housing would keep it and use it not try to flip.

Some of us race off of used, discarded and blems.

·
Registered
22,777 Posts
Doing what you say you will is sufficent enough, telling them in the first place is the right thing and up front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts