Discussion Starter #4

·
Smart Ass Conservative
105,619 Posts
Shit dats funny :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I went to X-Ray school in Tyler, Texas 1982-1984 at Tyler Junior College and Medical Center Hospital. Driving around in the summer, you'd see a "watermelon truck" pulled over at an intersection or on the side of a road. The "Amish" would be congregating, sitting under trees, and would break open a watermelon with their bare hands and eat their watermelon. Kinda looked like the figurine, and was really stereotypical. I was always going to take a few photos, but never got around to it,. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
They have ones like that with a fishing pole that sit on the doorstep or on an ornamental well. My elderly uncle wanted one like many people in Nova Scotia had when he was younger. So I took him to a few garden shops to find one. He'd go in and ask if they had a "nigger boy". That was great fun... none of the stores had any black folks at them (rare around here) but most were aghast as if they were black themselves. We did find the statue though. And not at the KKK thrift Shop.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Show me one pickaninny that doesn't like watermelon, and I'll admit that it is inappropriate.

Thus spoke Zarathustra.

·
Registered
16,124 Posts
I have 2 , one is holding a ( electric) lantern and the other is sitting and has a hole in his hands to put a fishing rod in. Both are old, they were my grandparents.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,123 Posts
I've got one of those watermelon boys, along with a couple lawn jockeys.

I know a guy who has a mold for pouring concrete lawn jockeys.
Anytime any concrete gets poured the mold comes out and we make a new one, it makes for a lot of jokes while doing the pour then the ready mix driver always gets a laugh.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
My understanding was they all have a different meaning from the Underground Railroad. Notified the folks of what they could get from one place to another. Such as a meal, water, sleep. Stuff like that.
the old originals are worth come coin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts