Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite thread to look at is "Worst Chassiswork You have seen"! I enjoy looking at the pittiful work posted on that thread but have not photographed some of the work I have had to re-do.

So I decided maybe a Worst Fiberglass thread might be appropriate. I have no pics to post but in the years of building door cars the worst Junk fiberglass I have ever had to do battle with was from Hairy Glass. It would be much faster and cheaper to splash a mold and make the entire body doors and all than to fix that crap. Plus if You call them they make out like the problem is with the chassis builder, even if the doors are 2" short of filling the hole in the body they built!

So maybe some of You have some pics to share and stories to tell?
Carl

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
unlimited products

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
My favorite thread to look at is "Worst Chassiswork You have seen"! I enjoy looking at the pittiful work posted on that thread but have not photographed some of the work I have had to re-do.

So I decided maybe a Worst Fiberglass thread might be appropriate. I have no pics to post but in the years of building door cars the worst Junk fiberglass I have ever had to do battle with was from Hairy Glass. It would be much faster and cheaper to splash a mold and make the entire body doors and all than to fix that crap. Plus if You call them they make out like the problem is with the chassis builder, even if the doors are 2" short of filling the hole in the body they built!

So maybe some of You have some pics to share and stories to tell?
Carl
x1000000000000000000000000000000000

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my frt end and hood are VFN and they are horrible I wanted to seel the shit but know one else made this nose the scoop was the best peice even the dash had holes in it and I had to wait 15 weeks for this junk

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Unlimited products are beyond junk. Total garbage.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
any of you stating anything other than unlimited products have just not seen really bad fiberglass parts..

All fiberglass has some problems, particularly when you are trying to keep the weight to a minimum, (read that thin Gel Coat)

I have used fiberglass from most everyone, and nothing really unexpected out of the normal companies, Hairy's VFN Glasstek Harwood Suncoast..

Let tell you to do something.. Just order a cheap hood scoop from Unlimited Products.. (had a customer bring me a scoop and hood last summer)

You will stop complaining about a few pin holes in the Gel Coat after you get your 25 lbs hood scoop

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I have had to cut frontends in 4 pieces,added 3-4" to hoods,took the skins off doors, moved A, B, and C-pillars ect. It's all part of the game,that's why I try to talk people out of budget composite parts if we can get the stock parts to work and come in at weight.Customers look at the price of a door and think "$300 for a door that's not bad" and don't realize the work involved in making it fit correctly and not fall off the car on a pass.I have had composite guy's brag about how good their part is and when it gets here I want to puke.Yes it's light,well pretty light.Yes it resembles the original,well sort of.Does it fit,probably not.Never bought a composite part that fit the way it was supposed to unless it was from McAmis,Hairy glass,Joe Van Overbeek or Cynergy. Even some of those needed a little "help"

·
I kill parts
10,101 Posts
unlimited for store-bought replacement stuff.

As for re-worked stuff, I'll take some pics of the pieces I'm trashing from this stang project........ first thing coming to mind being a hood that literally weighs twice what the rest of the front clip does due to someone over-cutting the hole for the scoop and then filling it back in themselves; it's almost 1" thick near the scoop......

·
Registered
721 Posts
Can't remember the company name, but they are the ones who sell complete glass kits for a Nova, 55 Chevy, or a Camaro in the back of Hot Rod magazine. BY FAR THE WORST GLASS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
interesting. i had excellent service from Suncoast and my painter said their hood was one of the best he has seen. the only problem i had turned out to be a bodyman that was too lazy to align the damn fenders :mad:. of course, it IS an aftermarket fiberglass part.......... EXPECT to do some work when you get it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had the un-fortunate pleasure of using one of Suncoast S-10 bodies, the ground effects for the front end were from a different model, had to cut them off. The body line from the cab to the doors were over an inch off, the doors were so far from fitting the cab when You held the door up to the cab You could put Your arm through the gap between the door and cab.

But after closer examination it was better understood, the body parts all had Hairy Glass stamped on them!
Carl

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Bought a complete 55 Chevy flip front from unlimited for a customer over here. It was horrible. He cut it up to try and make it fit a stock steel car but it was just too bad. I get all my glass done by a guy ere now. He takes his time, the moulds are mine afterwards and it's all just as I want it to be. He is doing a 1/3 hood for my '57 at the moment.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts