1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
badass

·
Registered
530 Posts
Is that the same type as the Coors silver bullet plane? I saw it at an air show in El Paso in 1983 pretty cool plane

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I bet theirs a pretty price tag to go along with it's size

Regardless it's badass

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
These have always had a terrible safety record. Supposed to be hard to fly and unstable at anything other than high (max) speed. My guess is not enough control surface area for the thrust to weight ratio.

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Looks like fun.

·
Registered
20,152 Posts
pretty cool, but if only 2, and he had to bail out twice, i have to assume the planes were destroyed both times-i guess they just build another one

·
Aviation Section
25,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pretty cool, but if only 2, and he had to bail out twice, i have to assume the planes were destroyed both times-i guess they just build another one
I wondered that too and he did not go into it but they do make a ballistic parachute and I think he had it on the plane and used it but it was not made clear.

I guy I flew 747's with has two prop BD5's and he lives in Boynton Beach, they are not airworthy and he will make one good one when he gets time one day from both airframes, they are around and were popular 25 years ago, I think they were out of Kansas. Dave

·
Aviation Section
25,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that the same type as the Coors silver bullet plane? I saw it at an air show in El Paso in 1983 pretty cool plane
Yes, the Coors team had several of these BD5-J's so I call bullshit on the only two were built. Dave

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
That is sharp.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
According to Wiki, around 5,100 kits were sold. One of the Bud lite mini jets hung from the ceiling of the place i worked for years. The company founder flew it at airshows all over the mid-west in the 80's.

·
Aviation Section
25,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to Wiki, around 5,100 kits were sold. One of the Bud lite mini jets hung from the ceiling of the place i worked for years. The company founder flew it at airshows all over the mid-west in the 80's.
Yes, and those were mostly prop versions like my friend has, they were quite popular when they first came out as they were small and inexpensive. Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts