Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously this isn't directed towards any Obama voters, I'm looking for input on guys who actually work for a living, standing on concrete and such. I'm a machinist, on my feet most of the day, often getting oil and coolant on them. For the past 20 or so years I've worn rockies, my last two pairs have sucked, not as comfortable or as durable, my two main concerns. What does everyone like? I don't mind paying for quality, 150-200 is about normal for what I've bought in the past, a little more is fine too if its something decent.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
In for answers.

I'm of no help, but I can say that I have been wearing Timberland Pro Pit Bosses for the past 8 years and in the last 2 years the quality has slowly started going downhill.

And for those about to recommend Red Wing, NO.

·
Banned
579 Posts
I was a elevator mechanic and I highly recommend Red Wings. I could wear them 12-14 hours and never bothered me.

Rocky

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
If you are not in a union (which is fine even if you are), there are a million better options than the Chinese made Red Wings or US made Recall Wings. Red Wings are hot, heavy, expensive, and the soles constantly fall off.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carolina boots
That's what the shoe store guy recommended, he said he wears them too. Basically had the choice of rockies, red wings, Carolinas, and one other one, I ended up getting the Carolinas but looking ahead in case I don't like them. I do have a friend that works for red wing shoes in southern mn or Wisconsin, not sure where it is, never even thought to hit him up. Pretty sure rockies are no longer us made, and being named Carolina, I assumed these were US made until I put them on and saw the made in Vietnam tag. I guess I'd have preferred US made boots if any decent ones are available.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I just bought Solomon sneaker/boot. Tried a ton of different styles and I ended up liking these and Keen. Wore Redwings for years but they have went way up in price and way down in quality.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Obviously this isn't directed towards any Obama voters, I'm looking for input on guys who actually work for a living, standing on concrete and such. I'm a machinist, on my feet most of the day, often getting oil and coolant on them. For the past 20 or so years I've worn rockies, my last two pairs have sucked, not as comfortable or as durable, my two main concerns. What does everyone like? I don't mind paying for quality, 150-200 is about normal for what I've bought in the past, a little more is fine too if its something decent.
Repub tool.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I hated the last two pair of Redwings I had. Both pair I had the sole would separate from the boot between 6-12 months. I now bought a pair of Danner boots and so far they're great. They are made in the USA by Americans. I'll support that. They were aroun $220. I'll never buy another pair of Redwings again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had a pair of Redbacks since '05. Wear them everyday fall/winter/spring. The soles have hardly any wear on them and I weigh 300#. I wear a size 16 and they are very light even at that size.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Ariat

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've had good luck with Wolverine Durashocks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
wolverine
Wolverine Multi Shock
I wore Red Wings for years, switched to the wolverines and never looked back.
A little cheaper, WAY more comfortable and last WAY longer.
I'm a machinist as well, my current pair is on year 5.
Paid about $145. 5 years ago.
They're lighter, narrower and much more durable.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts