Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wonder what gun carry was like in the old days? The times out west no permits required, everyone carry's or has a gun to live. I'll bet everyone respected each other. Could you imagine life today if anyone and everyone carried?

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert Heinlein

However, likely offsetting some of that was a) many western settlers were probably not all that well educated; b) whiskey.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I always wonder what gun carry was like in the old days? The times out west no permits required, everyone carry's or has a gun to live. I'll bet everyone respected each other. Could you imagine life today if anyone and everyone carried?
I'd love to see it go back to this. Not everybody walking around looking like a cowboy with a gun hanging on their side but everybody carrying. Crime would fall through the floor or we would run out of criminals very quickly.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The only people that would cause any problem is the ones that would say "OMG that guy has a gun".

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Two thoughts:
In the "old days", history shows us that most of the people who were armed carried long guns. Handguns were expensive. The classic Colt Peacemaker was very expensive. I've read that shotguns were more common than rifles. Civil war rifles were more common than later, commercial types. Most of what people think of as the "Wild West" is a product of the movies, very little truth.
I remember the first time I ever heard the term 'gun control'. It was the late 1950's. My grandfather, who was a cop on a Indian reservation, said, "I'm in favor of gun control. I think that everyone should have one and have it on him."

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
I think it would ne mayhem for a few weeks then everything would settle out!
Why would it be mayhem??

I guess in your eyes, once someone gets a gun they automatically become a crazed killer.

With every post of yours, you prove you arent a true gun rights advocate

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Here ya go. 112 years old, probably as much a part of the regular daily necessities as a pair of boots. Feed the family, protect the ranch, chase off the predators. Probably grabbed it while going out the door regular as a set of keyes or a cellphone these days.
And this is still very much a shooter.;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Really, it wasn't that long ago. In New Mexico as late as 1995 a person could still carry open or concealed. No one thought anything about me carrying my handgun into the grocery store or any of the several others I knew that did as well, in fact if I remember correctly, the only places that did get robbed in town were the banks. It was very common to see a rifle or shotgun in the pickup and some people would carry their weapons in wherever rather than have to lock their vehicle. The only places you could not were establishments that sold alcohol as a primary income source, convenience stores and possibly banks. Prior to that, less than a generation previous it was not unheard of for people to be carrying in town or out anywhere and the generation before that, it was more likely part of your daily wear as much putting on your pants. As each generation restricted weapons it seems that crime rates have climbed and now Albuquerque and surrounding areas seems to have a really serious problem with gangs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts