Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Procharger or turbo(s)? And why?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
need more info on the end goal, street or strip if both how much. Both can make silly power reliably.
90% street. Would like 7's but would be happy with low to mid 8's with room to grow in the future.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
The ONE big advantage to the ProCharger is the simplicity, bolt it on with a blowthru carb. and you're done..

With that said, I would still go turbo if the budget can handle it.. I think the turbo combo is real nice on the street.. Once you hear Larry Larson's Nova roll into the staging lanes, or should I say, NOT hear it, then click off a 6 second pass, it might sell you on the turbo combo.. With the turbo combo, you are not trying to twist off the crankshaft to make the HP, the exhaust is almost free HP, and no belt to concern yourself with.. The turbo technology continues to move in leaps and bounds, where-as with the other options, they are not advancing near as fast.. Today is a very exciting time to use turbo as a power adder.. :cool:

More cars switching to turbo, then the other way around, matter of fact, I don't know that anyone can come up with someone who has went the other way and been faster with more reliability, but maybe, I'm not that up on what EVERYONE is doing..

Have you seen Puddin's twins lately?? ;)

JMHO

Talk to "Wild" Bill Devine from Bullseye Power, he will be very helpful with the turbo options..

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
but isnt it funny in the oulaw classes the records are held by blown motors 10.5 and odr. 275 jumps back and fourth from nitrous to blower. but your right a blower motor isnt better;)

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
Do you honestly want a pump gas combo that will run sevens in the quarter when it will be driven on the street 90% of the time? Im not trying to insult you so I hope you dont take it that way but have you ever tried using anywhere near full throttle on a 7,8,or even 9 second power street car? What you are asking for can be done but it will cost a fortune and will not be that reliable for a street car.
What do you have in mind for the rest of the drive train?

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
but isnt it funny in the oulaw classes the records are held by blown motors 10.5 and odr. 275 jumps back and fourth from nitrous to blower. but your right a blower motor isnt better;)
Nitrous and blowers have decades of development....turbos are just scratching the surface of their potential.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
^^^ Two good points above, I think your goals are a little high unless you have deep pockets and you might :smt102

I personally think that a Pro Charger would be more consistent at the track, due to a blow through setup being more simple. Both are reliable, I have actually been around more turbo cars than Pro Chargers, but I just like the PC.

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
Agreed ^^^
It is also harder cool a turbo car and getting the converter right is a lot more critical on a turbo car.
For what the OP is asking you cant build an engine for you have to build a car for and if thats what he chose's to do than rock on but it seems like a huge waste on a car for 90% street duty. Regardless of power adder the lifters and valve train are the durability problems at that power level.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Best I could understand, he was talking about a "street" car, NOT a 10.5, ODR, or 275 car.. Records don't indicate what is easiest, or most cost effective, or what is easier on parts, you are comparing apples to oranges..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts