Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I just bought has ladder bars with a panhard bar. I'd like to get rid of the panhard, and go to another form of locating device (the panhard is in the way). I'd like to either use a track locator, or wishbone. Is there a significant difference between the two? Pros and Cons of both? Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wishbone mounted above the axle in front or rear with at least an 8" slide tube. Longer the slide tube, less movement side to side.
In my setup I would be looking to keep everything under the axle because of room.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you tell me why the wishbone is safer? Simply because it's more stout?
By track locator, do you mean diagonal link? If so I also wonder about this, and why is it "not recommended for street use" from some things I have read anyway. How well does the link hold up? Seems like tons of force on small tube, do they ever fail?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I mean the diagonal link. I think the link isn't good for street use simply because it isn't strong enough to put up with the constant turning and what not.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, I mean the diagonal link. I think the link isn't good for street use simply because it isn't strong enough to put up with the constant turning and what not.
What about orientation of the link, as in drivers side front to passenger rear, or the other way around? Does that have any effect on anything?

·
Registered
989 Posts

Turning doesn't bother them, it's going in and out of driveways/un-even surfaces (like turning off teh road into a gas station or other parking lot). That's my understanding I have also been told they are fine for street use. I have a 4 link and diagnal/track bar in my car and it will see 99% street duty. I will be installing a bit larger bar just to be sure.

·
Registered
570 Posts
the safety comes from the fact that the wishbone is more stout because its triangulated, usually its placement above the housing makes it safer from being struck.

the danger from a track locator is that any large object hitting the locator can make it bend and cause the rear axle housing to shift. possibly moving into the quarter panel (cutting the tire) or at least making the car dog track and rear steer suddenly.

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Turning doesn't bother them, it's going in and out of driveways/un-even surfaces (like turning off teh road into a gas station or other parking lot). That's my understanding I have also been told they are fine for street use. I have a 4 link and diagnal/track bar in my car and it will see 99% street duty. I will be installing a bit larger bar just to be sure.
so a wishbone is ok for the street?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
So for a strip only car where does everyone draw the magic line that you need a wishbone? Just curious

·
Registered
570 Posts
"magic line" maybe 7 seconds and quicker......alot of it depends what the customer can afford and if the bulider trusts the customer will actually keep everything clean and in order under the chassis lol..

·
Registered
430 Posts
What about orientation of the link, as in drivers side front to passenger rear, or the other way around? Does that have any effect on anything?

can anyone answer this question? I was wondering the same thing. Looks like maybe more clearance one way than the other, what is right, or is either wrong.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I like top mounted wishbones, out of the way when pulling out third member, no room on top? lower mounted wishbones. track locator/diagonal link should be fine on street, turning in uphill or downhill should'nt matter just don't use a anti-roll bar.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I personally dont see any difference in mounting a diagonal link one way or the other(driver front/passenger rear or vice versa). The idea of the locating device is to create 2 triangles out of the "square/rectangle" formed by the ladder bars. So regardless of which orientation, it still creates the 2 triangles. If someone has a different explanation, please say so. Maybe Im missing something?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts