Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
showing my ignorance. is there such a thing? if so tell me about it. not interested in satellite internet. too many bad stories on here. fixing to go to work, will be checking back tomorrow.

·
Donnie Vincent
5,970 Posts
Yeah you go and get a wireless router if you don't already have one and you buy a wireless card and put it in your desktop and presto... Check bestbuy or any place that sells computer stuff.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
My guess is that this guy lives out in BFE where there is no DSL or Cable. I think that he might be asking about cellular wireless. In which case, your cellular provider should have a USB device to get you all set. Down side is that it costs for the monthly service and often you have to pay for the bandwidth that you use.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have dsl now but may be moving kind of rural in the near future and will probably not have a landline and i dont really want to have to buy a laptop.

·
Donnie Vincent
5,970 Posts
Oh I see.... I know sprint offers hotspot through their cell service and I think it's about $60 a month.. that is wireless from your cell, all you need then would be the card for your computer that I was was previously speaking of.. I know the card you get for a desk top will only pick up signal from about 50 foot max so trying to get it from someone outside of your house is most not possible unless their right on top of you.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
hughesnet sat internet should have what you need Sorry should have read the post better.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Verizon and AT&T have MiFi boxes...they are wifi hotspots that support up to 5 devices. You can hook your desktop to it with a usb wifi device. You can also connect a VOIP phone or any regular wireless home phones that can use bradband internet connections. It is a seperate device from your cell and is on all the time. If you have good cell reception in the area you are looking to move to, often these are faster than any satelite provided service.

If you go this route, remember to turn off the features on the device that accept txt messages etc...it will ding your data usage. Also everyone other than Sprint does not offer unlimited and as you get closer to your max usage you may get throttled back on your connection speed. However I have never been over enough at any time with my AT&T service to get cut back on speed.

Plus if you ever get a laptop or netbook and travel you can take your internet with you as these are battery powered as well as you can plug them into an outlet.

·
Official Cactus Dealer
8,016 Posts
i have dsl now but may be moving kind of rural in the near future and will probably not have a landline and i dont really want to have to buy a laptop.
The only diff between a laptop and desktop when it comes to wireless internet is the laptop have the wireless card installed already. As said before you can get a wireless card for your desktop but it will get you nothing unless you have something close by like a wireless router or a cell phone "hot spot" that puts out the signal. In order to use wireless on a desktop you will need to have internet either from the landline phone/cable/dish or cell company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts