Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Plain & Simple
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a chance to learn how to use one of these and was wondering how long it takes to learn everything. A guy I spoke with,was saying,within a week someone should be able to operate one of these.Thanks for the input! :drinkers:

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,489 Posts
just dont cut the vise off ...... a shop i worked at the wire guy did just that ... cut the fucking vise right off the pedastal .... boss was not happy

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
it really depends on the learning capability of the user. most of them have so many features , you may never need to use them anyway. i've got two of them running right now as I sit at home drinking beer 20 miles away.hopefully, when I return in the morning, I'll have some bad- ass dies waiting for me.have fun with them, they're pretty cool...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Id say depends on the machine. Older mits are easy,makinos are fun and agies ate a whole other animal. Imo

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
We use Vollmers at my work. Easy to learn and yes, you can be running one in a week, maybe. But we generally have guys training for a few months before you know enough to be on your own.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
I'm getting a chance to learn how to use one of these and was wondering how long it takes to learn everything. A guy I spoke with,was saying,within a week someone should be able to operate one of these.Thanks for the input! :drinkers:
Just like a many machines. You can wire out a flat washer pretty easy but get into 3D work, gears, die work or electrodes it becomes a whole different game. As others have said Leblond Makinos, Mitsubishi are decent older machines. Agies, Sodicks, newer Charmilles beat to a different drum. We use a 3rd party programing package for out Agies that speed things up. Are you looking at a submergible machine or non submergible?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have been running Charmilles wire EDMs for five years. I just trained a new guy in about a week, to change parts in fixtures, that's it. But he has zero machining experience. When I started I didn't have any machining experience, my boss waited almost a whole year before turning me loose completely but by then I could pretty much do it all, setup, program and operate. If you have machining experience it won't be difficult. The shit that hung me up the most when I was learning was tapers but it aint no thing now. I say give it a shot, they are bad ass machines.

·
Plain & Simple
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just like a many machines. You can wire out a flat washer pretty easy but get into 3D work, gears, die work or electrodes it becomes a whole different game. As others have said Leblond Makinos, Mitsubishi are decent older machines. Agies, Sodicks, newer Charmilles beat to a different drum. We use a 3rd party programing package for out Agies that speed things up. Are you looking at a submergible machine or non submergible?
Submergible

The company makes extrusion dies. I wish I could remember what kinda machines they are using,but some are pretty old,thats for sure.

·
Plain & Simple
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been running Charmilles wire EDMs for five years. I just trained a new guy in about a week, to change parts in fixtures, that's it. But he has zero machining experience. When I started I didn't have any machining experience, my boss waited almost a whole year before turning me loose completely but by then I could pretty much do it all, setup, program and operate. If you have machining experience it won't be difficult. The shit that hung me up the most when I was learning was tapers but it aint no thing now. I say give it a shot, they are bad ass machines.

FWIW, The guy I talked to said they wanted a guy to "run an edm machine that has been previously setup".

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
FWIW, The guy I talked to said they wanted a guy to "run an edm machine that has been previously setup".
Well that would be a good way to start. A lot of folks don't get into doing the setups and programming from the get go. If you have some CAM background or CNC mill knowledge it will make things easier. Great opportunity to learn more. I'd follow up on it. The more you know the more you can make down the road.

·
Plain & Simple
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that would be a good way to start. A lot of folks don't get into doing the setups and programming from the get go. If you have some CAM background or CNC mill knowledge it will make things easier. Great opportunity to learn more. I'd follow up on it. The more you know the more you can make down the road.
I'm gonna give it a run,figured what the hell,why not.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
852 Posts
X2. I'd say the most difficult part is set up, figuring out how to hang odd ball parts off the table and figuring out fixtures. Programming was pretty easy to me, operating comes with time. I run Charmilles 310F and 240cc.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Submergible

The company makes extrusion dies. I wish I could remember what kinda machines they are using,but some are pretty old,thats for sure.
We make extrusion dies all day and night. When you say run do you mean load, feed and start or program and run? We have one guy running 3 machines which is to say program, setup, run maintenance upkeep etc. We use Mitsubishis and Esprit.

·
Boss
2,098 Posts
Running a machine, and programming a machine are very different animals. I've ran the Agies, Mits, and Sodicks. Each have their respective benefits, and anyone that can fully learn to program/operate one in a week has my respect.....Personally, I think you'll see that it will take at least a month or so, before you can do 3D parts without mistakes. I program with MasterCam and Esprit.....I like the Sodick WEDM's over the rest, but I've also had more time on them...Good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts