Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burning up some free airline tix to go to LA. Bought tickets to the winternationals. Any advice? Free shuttles? How's the parking? Where to stay? etc....
Thanks,,,
:p

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Dont pick up objects that glow in the dark.

Back around 1977-78 we watched a glowing projectile come outta the right bank of big daddy's TF car and land between the bleachers. The nearest drunk spectator tried to rush over and pick it up, well, that didnt work out too well.

I was just a wee ladd of 14 or so and that was the first fuel car pass I'd ever seen, I thought "man this shits cool" LOL

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
Sell your tickets and save your miles......
I here there`s a pretty good race in GA.

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
Oh yeah, most importantly if you do get a car & find yourself driving south on White Ave (which would be making a right turn fromMcKinley), Don't go any further then Holt Ave, That's when you come into one of Pomona's many gang infested neighborhoods. Aside from that there's some terrific Mexican restaurants once you venture east of there :p

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your hotel, It's on the same property as the track

http://deals.sheraton.com/Sheraton-..._Google_MM_fairplex_hotel_Exact_050610_NAD_FM

You're limited to what you can do without a car, Winter is the time to visit California with lots of awesome sights & things to do. How long are you in town for?
We are getting to LAX Friday after lunch, going home Tuesday. We will be renting a car and testing the unlimited miles theory. Soo much to see and do.... thought about seeing the ocean (where?)and trying to catch a taping of the tonight show. the Peterson auto museum and chino air museum sounds good...but hey, I'm open to suggestions...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Gotta' also check out the NHRA museum once while there...... On the same (Fairplex) property. Many people stay at hotels in Ontario since it's only about 15 or so minutes away and huge mall and restaurants etc. nearby, including Ontario airport and nicer neighborhoods. The Pacific is due west from Pomona. Good luck....... See you at the track.

·
Registered
283 Posts
thought about seeing the ocean (where?).
LAX is basically on the coast. You can be on the water in under 15mins once you have your car. If you want to have a good Pacific Ocean experience thats close by head straight to Santa Monica and go check out the World Famous Santa Monica Pier.

·
Registered
15,982 Posts
Go across the street from the track and have a burrito. Trust me on this one. Very good.
The place outside the track & behind the tower, great food!

Go to the NHRA museum also

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
as all said up der ^^^^^ , if it where me i would choose to stay in the hotels in ontario , map quest will be your friend if you have a laptop , see you at the track !!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,982 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think we use to stay the Hampton Inn in West Covina, pretty close to the track and the same exit as IN N OUT BURGER!!

Flying into Ontario was always nice, easy and close. LAX is an experience but a farther drive.

Have FUN.

Tony

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanx for all the input so far. I tried to fly in anywhere but LAX, but was unable to due to airline restrictions. Never been to cali so I guess I might as well have the LAX experence too!

Very excited to check out the car culture there. Thought about checking out bob's big boy but would be ashamed to go there in a rental....
Section 4 row 14 FTW! See you there!

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
if you really want some good food head over to the pomona valley mining co restaurant off of fairplex dr and the I-10fwy .the food is awesome and only a minute or so from the fairplex

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Thanx for all the input so far. I tried to fly in anywhere but LAX, but was unable to due to airline restrictions. Never been to cali so I guess I might as well have the LAX experence too!

Very excited to check out the car culture there. Thought about checking out bob's big boy but would be ashamed to go there in a rental....

if you want to check out the car culture check this website out it has all the car shows listed for socal . click on the cruise nights or events tabs once you enter the site

http://www.socalcarculture.com

·
Registered
15,982 Posts
Thought about checking out bob's big boy but would be ashamed to go there in a rental....
Ha Ha don't worry, I drive my stock truck there,,, no one says shit. (I think between 6 pm and 8 pm is the best time to get there, cars trickle in through out the night and usually goes late) There should be a lot of cars and no one will notice what you drive

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
Keep in mind that after the race it's Monday and that seems to be siesta day for all of LA, a lot of stuff isn't open. Santa Monica is an hour west... but that depends on traffic, sometimes the next exit seems an hour away.

Maybe if you can rent something like...

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Dont pick up objects that glow in the dark.

Back around 1977-78 we watched a glowing projectile come outta the right bank of big daddy's TF car and land between the bleachers. The nearest drunk spectator tried to rush over and pick it up, well, that didnt work out too well.

I was just a wee ladd of 14 or so and that was the first fuel car pass I'd ever seen, I thought "man this shits cool" LOL
1978 was the year it actually SNOWED there, on Sunday and Monday.. Didn't run eliminations 'till Tuesday.. Broke the trans, and lost to "TV" Tommy Ivo, 2nd round..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts