Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winging it……Easy SW Hatch Pepper Corn Chowder (30 minute meal)

My wife had a minor 11:00am procedure that should have been an hour, but they were running way behind so we ended up eating a very late lunch finishing about 3:00. Did some yard work as rain was coming and went to work out. Ended up in the Sprouts next to the health club thinking I would just buy some soup being we had eaten so late and it was running late. They had a SW Chowder that sounded good; but when I looked at It, looked like it had been sitting there for quite a while. Said, what the hey, had stuff at home to make it with, so I bought some bread and a couple ears of corn. Came out great for spur of the moment, winging it. No recipe, no measuring, just what sounded good. So, don’t expect qualities. Make it on instincts.

Ingredients:

2 strips of bacon
½ large sweet onion (had one already cut)
2 large baking potatoes
2 ears of corn
Chunk or two of butter
½ fine diced yellow pepper (had a ½ a pepper already cut)
2 roasted hatch peppers (sitting in the fridge already)
Milk
Cilantro
Cornstarch
Salt n Pepper

Directions:

Microwave 2 ears of corn (husk on) for two minutes. Remove and let rest. Microwave each potato 4-5 minutes till soft. While potatoes are microwaving, fine dice onion and yellow pepper, sauté two strips of bacon. Remove bacon from pan and throw in the onion and pepper. Sautee till tinder. Smash each Potato between two paper plates, remove skin and chop. Salt n Pepper the potatoes. Add to pan.

Remove the kernels from the corn, add to pot. Fine dice the hatch pepper and add to pot. Throw in a chunk of butter and add milk. Over medium heat, bring to a light boil. Add some chopped cilantro, chopped bacon, thicken with corn starch. Let it rest for 10 minutes so the flavors mingle. Adjust seasoning.

Surprisingly good for spur of the moment winging it.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Denny,,you had me right up to the cilantro,, I hate that weed like an ISIS soldier hates a Christian!
I know what I would do if I was you. I wouldn’t put it in, but that is just me.:)

Should add that I added some concentrated chicken base to it n forgot to mention it. Stuff happens when you wing it.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what I would do if I was you. I wouldn’t put it in, but that is just me.:)

Should add that I added some concentrated chicken base to it n forgot to mention it. Stuff happens when you wing it.

Denny
One more note because I "winged" it. The corn microwaves for 2 minutes each ear. Not two minutes for both.

Denny

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,863 Posts
That may be my issue also. To me it is extremely bitter.

We have several really good Mexican joints and I have to tell them NOTHING with any cilantro but one place has it in everything,,we stopped going there.
My DIL can do the standard Mexican recipe Sysco salsa (roma, onion, cilantro) without issue, but that is about it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
To some people cilantro tastes nasty due a genetic issue, my DIL is one as well.

I am one such person. Researchers have identified a genetic marker that will predict with great confidence whether one will revile the stuff or not. Most of these individuals are descended from eastern European/ Mediterranean peoples.

The Greek word for cilantro, "corriander" translates to "bug/insect/stink-bug," because of the foul impression the herb leaves with those of us sensitive to it.

·
Former RJ instigator
38,076 Posts
That chowder looks good Denny, thanks for the recipe, seeing on how I have a ass load of hatch green chile, I might have to give this a try, while I'm not a huge fan of cilantro myself, I don't mind a little bit here and there, I'll just have to adjust the amount to my liking.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
didnt grow up eating much if any cilantro , used to not care for it that much because of the overpowering taste it added to certain things......I've since learned that was the result of ..........too much cilantro in the dish.

Like any spice or flavor modifier , you have to know when to quit putting it in.......the right amount in a good pico makes it perfect. Too much and it tastes like you made it with dish soap.

The Indian cooks have cooking with cilantro figured out.......it's there, but just enough to balance out everything else going on with the layers of flavor.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the chowder looks killer btw.......I would/will figure a way to fuk it up with some crab meat. :)
Whooe!!!! That would work! Crab meat makes anything and everything better. If there was such thing as a favorite "thing", or ingredient, it is crab for me. Stuff is pretty pricey in these parts is the only downside.

Cilantro..............Like any spice, it is an accent and not meant to be the dish. Chinese 5 spice (which is extremely commonly used in China) and off all things, dried Tarragon (and I'm sure quite a few others, ie. Curry) can overwhelm a dish. Just make it not overwhelming. Even though I will admit living in Texas, Cilantro always has been a spice staple and your tastes do adapt. Trust me, never got any Cilantro growing up in redneck Michigan.

Even the mention of crab (gives me shivers)...………….. with Basil, but Cilantro also works. Same deal, winged it after going to Whole Foods n seeing in their soup bar. (repeat of a recipe posted prior)

Thai Crab and Shrimp Butternut Squash Bisque

This is one where you are going to have to adjust the spices to your tastes as it’s one I winged making. What prompted me making it is it was a shitty rainy day and after working out my workout partner, decided on a comfort food lunch going to Whole Foods. We both got soup n sandwich getting Butternut Squash and Crab soup. She said something to the effect that my soups were better so I told her I would work on it and give her some.

Ingredients:

1 lb of Jumbo Shrimp (Chopped into bite sized pieces and seasoned)
½ lb of Crab Meat
1 large or 2 small Butternut Squash
1 14 oz can of Coconut Milk
3 cups of Chicken Broth
¼ th medium Sweet Onion
2 gloves Garlic (smashed and chopped)
1 tablespoon Curry Powder (about, adjust to taste)
Hit of Cinnamon
Tablespoon or so of Olive Oil
Couple squeezes of Maple Syrup
Small Handful of Fresh Basil
Salt n Pepper to taste
Optional: Sriracha Hot Sauce to taste

Directions:

Medium dice the onion and add to a pan with the Olive Oil and Garlic, turn the heat to medium low. Using a peeler remove the skin from the squash, half, remove the seeds and cut into a 1 inch dice. Once the Onion starts to turn, add the squash, Curry Powder, Cinnamon, and a pinch of Salt n Pepper. Stir to coat and place a lid on top occasionally stirring. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Add Broth, Coconut Milk, Syrup and simmer till the squash is tender. Add ½ the Shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes till the Shrimp start to turn. Add mixture to a blender, add the Basil and blend till smooth. Return to pan and return to a simmer. Taste, adjust spices, and adjust thickness. Five minutes prior to serving return to a simmer adding remaining Shrimp and Crab Meat. Serve and garnish with fresh Basil.

Denny

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Where we live our seafood is like yalls beef......some of the best in the world and pretty easy to get.

Have made crab n corn chowder a bunch over the years but never quite the way your recipe calls for and never with the pepper aspect to it.......when I saw your recipe I went right to the crab going in just because of the way we eat in the region.

That recipe could easily support some flakey fish, maybe even a cool version of clam or oyster chowder.

I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where we live our seafood is like yalls beef......some of the best in the world and pretty easy to get.

Have made crab n corn chowder a bunch over the years but never quite the way your recipe calls for and never with the pepper aspect to it.......when I saw your recipe I went right to the crab going in just because of the way we eat in the region.

That recipe could easily support some flakey fish, maybe even a cool version of clam or oyster chowder.

I'll let you know :)

Not sure why crab meat is so expensive here. The ocean is only a 5 hour drive. Unless the Gulf is not good for crabs.

Denny

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Not sure why crab meat is so expensive here. The ocean is only a 5 hour drive. Unless the Gulf is not good for crabs.

Denny
Good crabmeat is expensive everywhere......unless you do it yourself and then it's a "what's my time worth" deal.

Crabcake stuffed onion ring.....on a nice bread with romain,tomato and hippie sauce.

Hippie sauce is dukes mayo, cooked crispy bacon,banana peppers puréed in a blender.

Slice a sweet onion for onion rings, lay the rings out and stuff your best crab cake recipe in them, chill to set......buttermilk and flower twice for extra crispy and deep fry like any other onion ring, one of the best crab cake sandwiches you will ever eat.

They come out looking like a golden brown hockey puck, I've never perfected the grilled version more so for lack of trying because the deep fried ones are so dam good and easy. , but I'm sure it could be done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts