Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

im looking for a pair of these to install on my side lexan windows...my questions to you are as follows...

1. what is the technical name for these latches ???

2. where can i buy these without getting bent over by the chassis shops ???

i just need to buy the latches and not the kit that are offered by all the chassis shops for $189.95...

thanks for your help

chris

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't know there real name have a set on my car I bought them years ago when they were a lot cheaper I would try< aircraft spruce> supply they have a lot of goodies

·
Registered
721 Posts
and not the kit that are offered by all the chassis shops for $189.95

Thats not a kit......LOL. I don't understand why they are so expensive either, but I bit the bullet and bought some for my car.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I got them for my car from the chassis shop for about 100.00 total but they you need to fab the inner release tab and drill out the rivets it is worth the saving just had a had time making the inner release tab I would like to see an up close pic of the ones that everybody sells to see how the release tab is done if someone could post a pic of there that would be great

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
They are aircraft access hatch latches. Unless you get them from a chassis builder you may not get the right ones. That latch arm is usually shorter for airplane latch use (that type is also used on the funny car roof hatch), the other problem is the unmodified aircraft latch isn't made to be opened from the inside. And, the opening ratio is different on some, what that means is that the small pop-out button comes out in an arc. The ones from an aircraft are on an arc consistant with .060 thick aluminum and when you put this type in a .125 lexan window the leading edge of the button will need a very big oval shaped hole to operate in because it'll open 'too fast', if you know what i mean. As usual, things are more complicated than you'd think. Good luck, oj

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think when you do locate the right latch and see what they cost you will realize that the chassis shops are not bending you over they are just expensive.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I think when you do locate the right latch and see what they cost you will realize that the chassis shops are not bending you over they are just expensive.
x2,If I am not mistaken they where designed for aircraft canopies.Anything for aircraft is expensive.Lots of formed s/s parts in those little things.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
My brother in law in an aircraft mechanic. He said the latch is used on the luggage compartment of a Cessna 175S, among other places. Was supposed to get me a PN but hasn't called back yet. I get mine from Bickel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts