Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with these roofing contractors that come in and get you to file a claim with your insurance company. Claiming wind and hail damage?

I just watched my uncle and father have this done. Same company did both. It worked like this. Contractor has customer call insurance and make a claim. Insurance adjuster gives you a time when he will inspect it. Contractor meets Insurance adjuster. Next thing you know the Insurance Co. is issuing a check.

I seen the work, the finished roof, and its looks decent. It just smells like a scam somehow.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Maybe the contractors make more off insurance jobs than if a homeowner was paying for the work out of pocket?? I have no clue just an idea?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Basically they go through areas where a storm has come through and look at folks roofs and tell them they have damage. I'm assuming most do otherwise the insurance wouldn't pay the claim. They're just out hustling up work when most people never look at their roofs after a storm, therefore don't have any work done.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
There was a bad storm in our neighborhood years ago, several neighbors had repairs done like this. Honestly I think that people did not know they could
have the repairs done and have insurance cover it. You can believe that when the adjusters come out if there was anything shady the insurance company's
would balk at paying. Insurance companies are very tight, and don't like paying out!

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
Happens all the time. People follow storms around the country setting up shop and doing this.

Then people bitch when there insurance are through the roof (no pun attended).

Could it be repaired, sure... would it last 25 years with out touching it.. yup.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Most are crooks and do bad work. If you have hail damage find a good reputable roofer to do the job.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Most insurance companies will deny a clam made by the home owner due to sheer ignorance on the homeowners part. It's best to be represented by a knowledgeable contractor. Contractors prefer insurance claims as well, due to guaranteed payment, and guaranteed profit based on the size of the roof. No haggling required. Plus most adjusters know the contractors in the area.......It's who you know.

I just had mine done, and the contractor shared a bit of knowledge. Is it a scam? Maybe...
But that's the way it works, so I went with it. BTW, the contractor I went with did the St. Jude Dream Home, so I felt pretty good about them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We had the same deal here in Phoenix about three years ago, had a real bad hail storm and overnight there were roofing contractors all the way from Lousianna and Mississippi here setting up camp. Most roofs didn't really need replacing but a lot of those companies talked thousands into new roofs

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
This...

Most are crooks and do bad work. If you have hail damage find a good reputable roofer to do the job.
And this...

Happens all the time. People follow storms around the country setting up shop and doing this.

Then people bitch when there insurance are through the roof (no pun attended).

Could it be repaired, sure... would it last 25 years with out touching it.. yup.
It's a combination of dishonest contractors and dishonest/ignorant/willing home owners. I don't know how or why the INS companies are willing to approve so many of these claims.

Missing a shingle or two from that big storm? Screw insurance, their evil, you need a new roof! Obviously not so evil insurance approves it and everyone is happy except for the new higher price of homeowners insurance.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
1. A hail or wind storm happened there. They have records & maps to show this.
2. The damage existed. Ins won't pay on a good roof.
3. Roofer spotted the damage & worked the ins co to provide the new roof your folks deserved.
4. Obviously a shady mother fucker.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't know how or why the INS companies are willing to approve so many of these claims.
Because insurance rates are determined by payouts. Insurance PROFITS are also a target percentage of said payouts. So, do you want 10% of 10 million, or 10% of 100 million? As long as the claims seems legitimate, they'll pay. Health insurance is the same way. It's all about the fat cats getting fatter, it seems.........Mr' Lutz could explain a little further, maybe?

·
Registered
24,658 Posts
restoration company has private adjuster working for them .

I've seen a company get 80,000 for water damage caused by a leaking copper pipe . House wasn't worth that .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a Roofing contractor in Mi. and the real reason the storm chasing companies push so hard to get you the homeowner to sing up with them to reresent you is the 10%overhead and 10%profit paid by most Insurance Companies. On an insurance claim when you involve 3 trades or more you are paid to be the General Contractor, meaning on a Hail damage claim we get paid $15,000 on the roof [trade 1], $1,500 for gutters & downspouts [trade 2], $500 for screens/window repair [trade 3], $3000 for siding repairs [trade 4], totalling $20,000. The insurance Co then adds the 10% overhead & 10% profit making the total insurance claim payout $24,000. truth be told we have allready got the overhead and profit in the $20,000 Storm Chasers are all about the $4,000

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Keep in mind that once a roof is over 5 years old you'll never match the color when doing a repair.........if you're cool with a checkerboard roof then roll with it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts