Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Just so you know my Warn 2500 ATV winch will pull a fullsize gas truck on my trailer. Have to have the ATV up against something or strapped down to something else...

·
T/S 368E
30,031 Posts

That is more than enough for the small angle of an enclosed.
Get a real battery, those little ones will not survive the load of a winch.

·
Cheapskate 1ST Class
1,461 Posts
To get a winch that will pull full weight of car up a RAMP INTO A TRAILER find weight and multiply by 1.5, (2000 lb car 3000 lb rated winch)wire winch into tow trucks battery system or get seperate 12 volt deep cycle battery.

·
T/S 368E
30,031 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I believe the angle they use to rate a winch is a lot more than our trailers.
I saw the chart long time ago, and with the small angle, you would actually take the winch rating
and multiply that by 1.5?? for the weight. I used a 2000 for 10 years to pull in my 3000 lb car.

As mentioned, a pulley will double the rating. So even a small winch will pull in a drag car easily.

·
Registered
549 Posts
this is the winch I just put in my trailer and it pulls my 2600 lb. stang in with no hesitation.

·
Cheapskate 1ST Class
1,461 Posts
Murphy law says: "plan on pulling the car on no rolling wheels.....(after flats or crash) ..or plan to not get it into trailer...... "

without a big ass long blade fork lift...:rolleyes:

·
T/S 368E
30,031 Posts

Good post WJ. That's probably something like what I saw.
So even a 2000 lb winch can pull a car into our trailers that weighs 10,000 lbs.
At least my trailer was under 2', per 20'. That's why I always wonder why guys get the huge
5000-6000 lb winch??

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Well, like Hemidude said... Plan on a winch that's big enough to drag it in with 4 flats and the wheels locked against the firewall. One less thing to worry about after putting it into the wall.

But yeah, even with my ride at 3200 (without me), a 2500 Lb winch is more than sufficient to drag it up the ramp assuming no issues with it rolling freely.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ullget 8 any pics of it mounted or how you have it wired? Thanks for all the helpful info. They have them on the auction site for under $150 bucks. I think it might just due the trick:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Ullget 8 any pics of it mounted or how you have it wired? Thanks for all the helpful info. They have them on the auction site for under $150 bucks. I think it might just due the trick:rolleyes:
Make sure you google the brand name followed by "review" and research them.

I was going to buy one from Ebay, until I googled the brand name and found out about the shitty customer service.

I was gonna buy a Smittybilt, but there were none in the country when I needed it.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/atv-3-000lb-xrc-30-winch/p2022855.jcwx

Wound up with a Mile Marker PE2500 (no longer made, replaced with PE2.5 and PE3.5 series).

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts