Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever used nylon line? I hate replacing the fraying/kinking metal cables.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I have had my winch cables for over ten years with allmost every weekend use
and they are not frayed as you speak of....

the reason people have problems with cables getting frayed is because they allow it to drag or get pinched or as it runs up the roll reel wheel drum it is getting overlapped on top of another strand crooked.....

so lets say that it is your own lazyness that the cables do not last as long as they should.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wow ordinary builder, guy just asked for advice and you slam him? Could be why I see so many people being nasty to you.

OP, search, there was a thread about this not long ago.

·
YB Monster Crew
9,107 Posts
and please tell me what nylon line is going to be as strong and safe as a piece of 5/16 multi strand steel cable...???
Guess you never heard of Synthetic winch lines???

·
Registered
4,516 Posts

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the links and help. I'll be looking into it.......or maybe I'll be lazy and let someone else find it, buy it, and install it. Hell, I'll have them load and unload my car.;)

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
and please tell me what nylon line is going to be as strong and safe as a piece of 5/16 multi strand steel cable...???
welcome to 1990 LOL.
nice thing about synthetic aside from being stronger....if it snaps the rope drops vs steel cable that has a ton of stored energy under tension and acts like a bullwhip when it lets go....hence weighing them down with something should they snap.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, guys. Looking for a conversion with the recommended new rollers.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Rope ya don't use rollers, they all come/recommend hawse style...the aluminum oval cut out. I don't know what rollers would hurt honestly, and if I already had a winch with rollers in great shape i'd run them, but if ya gotta buy a replacement anyhow, just get the aluminum hole one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
spend the extra cash on the Synthetic,, used cable for many years,, wished i had changed sooner

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just installed a synthetic rope from rural king.
Only used it twice so far, love it so far

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
I'm thinking the reason they don't recommend rollers with the synthetic cable is that it could get pinched in the corners. I could see that happening on an ATV where you may be pulling at a sharp angle to get unstuck. In a car trailer, where you are always pulling in a straight line, it wouldn't make much difference.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Have used the Synthetic Winch line for several years ! Would not consider braided steel line ever again. ATV suppliers have the best prices.

·
Banned
17,920 Posts
Try Amsteel blue. I am a logging contractor and we use that often in some applications as it is superior to steel cable and far lighter/easier to handle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts