Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.freep.com/article/201310...134/Willow-Run-GM-General-Motors-bomber-plant

The public will get the chance to visit the former Willow Run bomber plant in Ypsilanti Township one last time Saturday before the factory is demolished.

A tour of the historic property — which was a centerpiece of the weapons-building Arsenal of Democracy during World War II — is being offered to those who pre-register for a free conference showcasing the 72-year-old plant’s history.

The event is part of the nearby Yankee Air Museum’s SaveTheBomberPlant.org campaign to preserve a 175,000-square-foot section of the 5 million-square-foot plant as its future home.
If the museum meets its $5-million fund-raising target by Nov. 1, it will win the right to acquire a section of the plant for an undisclosed sum in a deal with the General Motors bankruptcy trust.
Hopefully the Yankee Airforce can pull the money together to preserve at least a portion of it.

·
Aviation Section
25,592 Posts
Lots of history there, my Dad was in a B-24 in WWII that was built there and having flown into YIP quite a bit I have had the chance to walk around there quite a bit. Dave

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of history there, my Dad was in a B-24 in WWII that was built there and having flown into YIP quite a bit I have had the chance to walk around there quite a bit. Dave
Were there multiple B-24 plants?.
I thought at least the bulk of them came from that plant.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they built about 44,000 of those puppys. I think it was the highest production number of any plane in WW ll.
That would have been something to see while it was happening....the entire transformation from domestic goods to military hardware still boggles my mind.

·
Registered
42,146 Posts
At the peak of production, that plant had a B24 come off the line every hour. My uncle used to ferry them from the plant to Long Island where they were flown to Europe.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the peak of production, that plant had a B24 come off the line every hour. My uncle used to ferry them from the plant to Long Island where they were flown to Europe.
That's incredible....the entire war machine back then was incredible.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The industrial accomplishments were impressive, but the will and determination of the people to win the war was this country's greatest achievement. Think we could ever do it again?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Were there multiple B-24 plants?.
I thought at least the bulk of them came from that plant.
They were also built at the Consolidated-Vultee plant in Ft. Worth Tx. Which later became General Dynamics, and is now Lockheed Martin.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
My mom worked there during WW2.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
The industrial accomplishments were impressive, but the will and determination of the people to win the war was this country's greatest achievement. Think we could ever do it again?

sadly no. these kids today only care about themselves. they just want and dont want to earn. you see it when you work with these punks and you even saw it in the elections.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Corsairs were built next door in the plant that eventually built Novas and later the Caprice until the early 1990s. After the war Kaiser owned the building. They built C-119s and Kaiser cars there. General Motors moved into the building in the early 50s after their brand new transmission plant burned down.

I worked there in 1967. I loaded low and direct pistons along with sun gears and sun shafts on conveyors to the assembly areas. I stood in the areas where the B-24s were final assembled.

That building is the reason for Ypsitucky.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Oh, after the war Willow Run was the major airport into Detroit until Wayne County became Detroit Metro.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts