Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
IMO, the new motors, LS, Coyote, 3rd Gen Hemi will eventually overtake the SBC just like thwe SBC overtook the flathead. However the SBC will always have followers, unlike some other engines. It's simplicity, cost, repo parts availability all make it the motor of choice for dollar-wise hotrodders. Sure those new motors may make more power, will eventually be more plentiful and have a host of other features but another drawback of them is they're just plain ugly. You see it even now the new engine fans gloss over the appearence of their engines or in situations like Lokar Inc. try to make them look like a regular SBC or BBC. That alone ought to tell you something about the potential longevity of the SBC

·
Registered
9,140 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
In my opinion the sbc is pretty good at everything (air flow, revability, reliability, cost, simplicity) which makes it great.
Air flow? I'd think that would be the "dinosaur engines" biggest death knell. 200 CFM heads vs 320-340 CFM heads in the newer stuff. You're so much further ahead going with new stuff, unless the SBC already has hogged out aluminum heads on it.

·
Registered
34,999 Posts
IMO, the new motors, LS, Coyote, 3rd Gen Hemi will eventually overtake the SBC just like thwe SBC overtook the flathead. However the SBC will always have followers, unlike some other engines. It's simplicity, cost, repo parts availability all make it the motor of choice for dollar-wise hotrodders. Sure those new motors may make more power, will eventually be more plentiful and have a host of other features but another drawback of them is they're just plain ugly. You see it even now the new engine fans gloss over the appearence of their engines or in situations like Lokar Inc. try to make them look like a regular SBC or BBC. That alone ought to tell you something about the potential longevity of the SBC
There’s after market heads that have the generation 1 SBC pushing past 3 HP per cubic inch. NA. So, no, it’ll be a couple hundred years before it’s toast. It’ll outlast the country in which it was invented. And the USA won’t even be here. I won’t say where, but I’ve witnessed a 311” sbc that did 938 hp NA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There’s after market heads that have the generation 1 SBC pushing past 3 HP per cubic inch. NA. So, no, it’ll be a couple hundred years before it’s toast. It’ll outlast the country in which it was invented. And the USA won’t even be here. I won’t say where, but I’ve witnessed a 311” sbc that did 938 hp NA.
Likely a stock crank too….😁

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I hope you're right as I'm no fan of the new engines. And 3HP/cu. in is impressive but I don't know if the average gearhead can generate that kind of HP. Personally I don't plan on an LS build-up---maybe just putting a stock one in my '90GMC some day. I'm curious though----what conventional SBC head can generate that kind of power? It'd sure make a great nostalgia P/S engine..........

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
G'day all, I have been a SBC and BBC packrat since 1972. I have vans full of parts for both of these. I also have some LS motors that I will never use. A friend of mine approached me a couple of weeks ago and wanted to help me clean up our shop. My dad is failing at 85 and I am not so far behind at 66. My friend has been selling short blocks on Facebook and has moved half a dozen already and hauled another 10 back to his shop. He has sold mainly 400 and 350 SBC.

Nobody is interested in the LS stuff at all and what is there is mainly running 6.0 units. No interest in the 4L80E or 6L90E transmissions either.

We also went through what was in the vans and found some really interesting stuff that I was scared my dad had scrapped. There is even a 1955 265 without an oil filter boss. Two complete L82, an LT1, and a short block LS7 (the real one from 1971). There are even 30 or so aluminum intakes including cross rams for big and small block plus 4 SY1 Edelbrocks (Smokey Ram). No real interest in the good stuff.

There is also a P30 van (The Tranny Van) full of gender neutral power conversion units. All Chevrolet bolt patterns. I have a feeling that next spring I will be disassembling transfer cases and transmissions to divide up the metal.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have to ask Randy - are those heads even remotely close to a 23 degree saimesed port SBC head?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Where? I'm guessing at the bottom of this hole...

Kola Superdeep Borehole - Wikipedia

1 - 20 of 143 Posts