Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What say you?! I have a carter 110gph street/strip pump and was wondering if I could keep using it if I switched.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jason, both kinds of alcohol are corrosive to most materials used in gasoline ready fuel systems, particularly rubber & aluminum. there's a reason why alkie fuel system components are made differently and labeled as such. check it out before you eat your fuel pump's ass out.
Yeah, the diaphragms used in every E85 and alcohol carburetor I've ever seen were a special kind of material that was green...don't know the name of it. I wonder if I could get a replacement diaphragm for the pump that would work with alternative fuels?

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
Yeah, the diaphragms used in every E85 and alcohol carburetor I've ever seen were a special kind of material that was green...don't know the name of it. I wonder if I could get a replacement diaphragm for the pump that would work with alternative fuels?
i think those diaphragms are silicon based, and any aluminum stuff is anodized or coated with some kind of plastic. the one you have will work, but not for very long.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
i didnt change anything when I switched to e85...4 years later everything works fine and e85 is not corrosive like people say

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i didnt change anything when I switched to e85...4 years later everything works fine and e85 is not corrosive like people say
Interesting....what kind of fuel system do you have?

·
veritas aequitas
2,204 Posts
lots of people are using standard fuel pumps and filters for E85. from everything i've seen and heard it isn't corrosive like straight alcohol.
you should be fine.
my concdern would be if it can pump enough fuel for your power level.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lots of people are using standard fuel pumps and filters for E85. from everything i've seen and heard it isn't corrosive like straight alcohol.
you should be fine.
my concdern would be if it can pump enough fuel for your power level.
It's only a 400HP small block.

·
veritas aequitas
2,204 Posts
is that 400hp with regular fuel? to make that same amount of hp with E85 you'll need about 33% more fuel to the motor.but i would imagine you'd be looking to make more power with E85,otherwise why waist your time switching fuels without the gains.

·
Moderater
13,280 Posts
What say you?! I have a carter 110gph street/strip pump and was wondering if I could keep using it if I switched.

You can use it but keep in mind that you need 30% more volume for the same power output as when using Gas. If your fuel lines are stock you may have issues with capacity. You will want larger lines to the Carb and from the Pump also.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can use it but keep in mind that you need 30% more volume for the same power output as when using Gas. If your fuel lines are stock you may have issues with capacity. You will want larger lines to the Carb and from the Pump also.
Yeah I agree, if I do it I plan on changing to either a 3/8" or 1/2" line from the tank to pump. Right now I have a -6 from the pump to carb (only about a foot at the most)...think that would be big enough?

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is that 400hp with regular fuel? to make that same amount of hp with E85 you'll need about 33% more fuel to the motor.but i would imagine you'd be looking to make more power with E85,otherwise why waist your time switching fuels without the gains.
Looking for a little bit more power yes...but mostly a fuel that's more consistent. Pump gas around here just differs so much that you never really know what you're getting. Just about every car around here that runs E85 is DEADLY consistent all year....which is important to me because I bracket race every week.

·
Moderater
13,280 Posts
Run a 1/2 from the tank to the pump -8 from the pump to a Regulator or Y then -6 to each bowl. Are you sure 110gpm pump will meet your needs. Remember to reduce that number when figuring your requirements. What is your projected output for the Engine? Also you will have to test your fuel to make sure it's 85% Ethanol.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Run a 1/2 from the tank to the pump -8 from the pump to a Regulator or Y then -6 to each bowl. Are you sure 110gpm pump will meet your needs. Remember to reduce that number when figuring your requirements. What is your projected output for the Engine? Also you will have to test your fuel to make sure it's 85% Ethanol.
The mechanical pump I have has a max pressure of 7 psi so no regulator. This engine will not make anymore than 400HP, if it makes that much. It's just a hydraulic cam street engine, nothing special. I know the guys at Quick Fuel quite well so I plan on getting a tester from them if I make the change.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
jason, both kinds of alcohol are corrosive to most materials used in gasoline ready fuel systems, particularly rubber & aluminum. there's a reason why alkie fuel system components are made differently and labeled as such. .
Thats a big bullshit and false statement right there..

SAME PE electric pump,,SAME braided fuel line,,SAME AN fitting's been in my car for 7yrs now with straight alcohol run threw it with NO failures,leaks and NO upper lubes ever run in the system all were bought and ran race fuel threw for 1 yr and then switched to alky...

Better re-check your info agree greg..:rolleyes:

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
Thats a big bullshit and false statement right there..

SAME PE electric pump,,SAME braided fuel line,,SAME AN fitting's been in my car for 7yrs now with straight alcohol run threw it with NO failures,leaks and NO upper lubes ever run in the system all were bought and ran race fuel threw for 1 yr and then switched to alky...

Better re-check your info agree greg..:rolleyes:
soooo....what're you tryin to say? :p

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
soooo....what're you tryin to say? :p
That the statement of alky being corrosive to these parts don't hold true..;) i've let the fuel system run dry for the winter months when the car was aprt and i've let the fuel system be full of alcohol year round...
Only problem with the OP's question is FUEL VOLUME he'll need and not so much the PSI the pump carries..:cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts