Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Asphalt Cowboy
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having this ongoing dispute with a friend about a target load entering a skull from say 10-15 yards is it possible

·
102,312 Posts
If you mean the difference between a hollow point and a FMJ, look no further than the military. They don't use hollow point anything, and have killed plenty of folks with ball ammo.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Having this ongoing dispute with a friend about a target load entering a skull from say 10-15 yards is it possible
Well it your friend is positive it won't--
let him become the "test pilot" for the bullet!...:smt068 :rolleyes:

He'll be disappointed even with a .22LR...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Actually, the military uses the 175 grain Sierra match king bthp in their precision rifle ammo, and the Navy used both the 77gr match king and the 77gr Nosler custom competition for their ammo used in the MK12 rifles. The Geneva Convention allows for the use of hollow point ammo in precision rifles.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Im at a loss here. Who in thier right mind would even think "target ammo" wouldn't penetrate. Well maybe if we are talking about a red Ryder BB gun but even then I wouldn't let someone try it.

I have some 300 grain "target ammo" backed by 96 grains of H1000 (.338 Lapua) and it will penetrate through body armor at 100 yards. I do not even have to try it, I know it will. This is just assinine.

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
Silenced .22 for head shots is almost a cliche. And a solid projectile will penetrate more effectively than a hollow point of the same caliber, weight and velocity.

Hell, maybe 20-30 years ago i read about some asshole that killed himself on a rehearsal stage with a .44 Mag revolver loaded with paper wad blanks. He put it to his head and, apparently thinking it was funny and just blanks, told everyone to watch this and pulled the trigger. From point blank, the paper wad blew a quarter sized diameter piece of his skull back into his brain killing him instantly.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
LOL I didn't even think about a silenced 22. You are correct.

Maybe a 22short fired from a 1 inch barreld derranger style pistol would not penetrate, as you mak be able to stop it with a tee shirt at 10-15 yards. But who has that exact combo?

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation
You're welcome. Tell your friend not to do any stupid tests. Here's a link to probably the most popular little .22 used for war time purposes. Make no mistake, this was a weapon, designed for use on human targets. Skull shots from fairly close range were preferred since a shot to the torso from a simple .22 rim fire will not produce a quick stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Standard_HDM

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Silenced .22 for head shots is almost a cliche. And a solid projectile will penetrate more effectively than a hollow point of the same caliber, weight and velocity.

Hell, maybe 20-30 years ago i read about some asshole that killed himself on a rehearsal stage with a .44 Mag revolver loaded with paper wad blanks. He put it to his head and, apparently thinking it was funny and just blanks, told everyone to watch this and pulled the trigger. From point blank, the paper wad blew a quarter sized diameter piece of his skull back into his brain killing him instantly.
I remember that. I don't remember what gun it was but recall he knew it was a blank and put it to his head and bang lights out

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Anything that fires a projectile can be deadly. Crimp blanks can even be deadly at close range due to the flame front.

WTF is a target round?

·
Asphalt Cowboy
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Anything that fires a projectile can be deadly. Crimp blanks can even be deadly at close range due to the flame front.

WTF is a target round?
Sorry if i don't use the correct terminology but fmjs or reloads to me are target rounds because of the pricing

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
A .22 short or a .25ACP may not penetrate a human skull from the distance specified. Birdshot and snakeshot rounds likely will not penetrate a human skull from that distance. Anything else is going through. Don't much care what kind of bullet it is - could be a soft wadcutter, still going through.

·
Long Live The King
105,080 Posts

get a phone book and shoot it at 10 yards and see how far it penetrates. then shoot the book with a hallow point and report back to us.

your friend is a idiot

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
Actually, the military uses the 175 grain Sierra match king bthp in their precision rifle ammo, and the Navy used both the 77gr match king and the 77gr Nosler custom competition for their ammo used in the MK12 rifles. The Geneva Convention allows for the use of hollow point ammo in precision rifles.
ACTUALLY...

Those are both considered "Open Tip Match" bullets, which is different from a Hollow Point, in that the cavity in the tip comes from the process of drawing the jacket of the bullet from the bottom and not the top. They are not designed to (and don't, in most instances) expand upon impact (See Sierra's admonition to not use MatchKings for hunting) and therefore don't violate the 1899 Hague Convention (Not the Geneva Convention).

What is really funny about that, is that the United States never ratified Section IV, 3 of the 1899 convention (which covers expanding projectiles) but still abides by it today. Go Figure.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts

WTF is a target round?
There was an actor around 20 years or so ago that killed himself with a blank gun. He jokingly held it to his head and pulled the trigger. The percussion penetrated his skull, killing him. I believe it was a 44 mag. Not sure.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts