Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine gave me a killer deal on a 1000rwhp JW powerglide. So I jumped at it... My set up is going to be a 370 LSx set up solid roller etc etc looking to make round 700fwhp.

I plan on getting the car to sub 3k race weight with a final goal of 2800 race weight. That being said was gonna go TH400 and was curious if at my power level if I'll be leaving anything on the table not going TH400?

80% strip 20% street car

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
At that weight, I think a glide is the way to go.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've been reading as well couldn't pass up the deal. Just get a nice stall and should be in there

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Glides faster. Lower static weight, lower rotating weight. I switched from a 400 to a glide, kept everything else exactly the same, raised my launch RPM and the car picked up almost a tenth.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear !! Will have

370LSX/Glide/12 Bolt

Think with the car being light I can get away with the 12 bolt as well that and not making insane power hoping to get the car in the 9s N/A

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
When people discuss glide versus turbo 400, I usually add my opinion too. If it weighs as much as your tow truck go with the Turbo. If not, the glide is your best friend if built to suit the torque requirements. These days this means a 1.80 straight cut aftermarket planetary usually. The glide makes the torque converter work more like it should and you need a good converter for a glide.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When people discuss glide versus turbo 400, I usually add my opinion too. If it weighs as much as your tow truck go with the Turbo. If not, the glide is your best friend if built to suit the torque requirements. These days this means a 1.80 straight cut aftermarket planetary usually. The glide makes the torque converter work more like it should and you need a good converter for a glide.
What about a 3400 lb car? Need more gear ? Running turbo and 4.11 gear now

·
T/S 368E
32,472 Posts

3000 lbs, 775-800 HP, with a 400 was slightly quicker, but aborted a lot of runs.
Glide was much much more consistent, and aborted a fraction of the runs I used to.
Now this was a 10" tire car at a shithole track.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plan on running 4.10s with a 26 inch tall tire and if I can't get a 26 inch tire to hook I'll go 4.56s and 28s

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
600 fwhp/ 465tq here 2800 with me in it, 1.80 glide....been 9.91 @ 137 on pump gas. I'd say the glide works. I think with the 3 speed the front 1/2 would be better, but the back 1/2 wouldn't be as good. But the glide is consistent, reliable, and it hooks

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Excuse me for stepping on your thread.At what wt do you guys think a 400 is a better choice?.3100,3000??.:confused:

·
Registered
14,965 Posts

3000 lbs, 775-800 HP, with a 400 was slightly quicker, but aborted a lot of runs.
Glide was much much more consistent, and aborted a fraction of the runs I used to.
Now this was a 10" tire car at a shithole track.

This post covers it well, with an aggressive converter and good suspension the 400 will be quicker on a good track. That said the difference will be small and a glide will be far more forgiving don't sweat the difference the glide was a great choice.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Maxed out launch vs maxed out launch you MIGHT lose a tenth with a PG
If you are heads up only that would be very important.
BUT the PG is easier to launch consistantly because Spinning ain''t Winning.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I'm not much help, but I went from a liberty built 5spd to a glide with probably a touch less power than you're making and my car only slowed MAYBE a tenth. Now the car goes down every pass instead of once in every 3-4 attempts. Don't cheap out on the convertor, it'll be the key to making it work.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We race at a track that is 4000 above sea level and that my be why. But we have changed 3 cars from a 400 to a glide all were under 3000 lbs and all 3 slowed a little bit. It' hard to make power up here so the cars like the low first gear.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
600 fwhp/ 465tq here 2800 with me in it, 1.80 glide....been 9.91 @ 137 on pump gas. I'd say the glide works. I think with the 3 speed the front 1/2 would be better, but the back 1/2 wouldn't be as good. But the glide is consistent, reliable, and it hooks
That's the ETs I'm looking for hopefully we get it that light should make a bit more power but don't think I'll be at that weight for a while. Thanks for the input !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts