Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to add more positive caster with my adjustable upper control arms, would it require me to get the car aligned? I currently have 2 degrees positive and would like around 4-5, and was wondering if doing this in my garage will affect it serious enough....is there a way to do it with home tools and get it pretty close?

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
Here is my opinion (I ran a alignment rack in the 70's) if you lenthen the front top arm and shorten the rear top arm the same amount your camber should stay the same and caster increase. I would put a level on the front wheels vertically with wheels straight to get a before reading on camber and compare after it should be the same. As to how much to move it???? I would start out at 1/2 to 1 turn and drive it to see if it's better.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
It will effect toe and bump steer, the camber will stay the same swaping the same turns on each equally

·
Registered
107 Posts
This isn't an absolute as the angles of the control arms especially the upper will affect the amount of change you get in caster. I just went through this exercise and it took almost five full turns to get a few degrees additional positive caster. You can make a simple toe gauge with a length of square tube, a couple of small clamps and two pieces of thick wire or welding rod. If you raise the front wheels off the found slightly with bottle jacks or similar under the lower control arms to get them so they turn easily at ride height, you can mark the center of the tread all the way around. (also good to check for bent wheels etc.) Using your improvised toe gauge you check the toe before and after your caster changes. Your looking for 1/16th or less toe in for a drag car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts