Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son sold the S-trim off of his 97 Cobra and let the orignal PCM(LLX4) go with the deal, because it had a Diablo Sport chipped burt for the S-trim combo. Anyway he picked up a 98 Cobra (AOL3) computer, but all the info I've found says that they are pinned differently than the 96-97 cars and they won't work?:confused:
I realize the PATS will have to be reprogramed, but what about the pin issue? Someone said you could move the pins around in the harness and it will work, but I'd like to know for sure.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
No, 98 cobras are by themselves. Here is why, 98 cobra is returnless fuel system, and 97 is return style. They are not compatible!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, 98 cobras are by themselves. Here is why, 98 cobra is returnless fuel system, and 97 is return style. They are not compatible!
Returnless fuel system didn't start until 99.

(
For 1996, Ford finally did away with the aging 5.0 liter V8 in the Mustang, replacing it with a new aluminum 4.6 liter, DOHC, "modular" unit that was smoother and had slightly better fuel economy. This engine produced 305 hp (227 kW) and 300 lbf·ft (410 N·m) of torque, making the new Cobra capable of high-13 second quarter miles. Early models were backed by the Borg Warner T-45 5-speed manual transmission. Late in 1998, Tremec bought production rights for the T-45, although it remained unchanged in terms of strength. In 1996 Ford also introduced the Mystic Cobra which featured color shifting paint manufactured by BASF. The paint was green based, and depending on the angle it was viewed the colors shifted from green to purple to root beer to gold. The 1998 Cobra was the last year of the return style fuel system which was replaced with a newer returnless system in 1999.)

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Why didn't he just remove the chip ? By the way I am pretty sure that computer will work . I don't know of any differences in them . I pulled a harness from a 98 Cobra and installed it in a 96 that had a bad harness without any issues at all .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didn't he just remove the chip ? By the way I am pretty sure that computer will work . I don't know of any differences in them . I pulled a harness from a 98 Cobra and installed it in a 96 that had a bad harness without any issues at all .
In hind sight he should have just sold the chip instead of the whole computer, but he bought a turbo kit that came with a custom chip burnt for the exact same combo as my son's, but the chip was for a 98 computer, so we bought a used 98 pcm. I've found the factory pinouts for 97 & 98 and it looks like it will work once I get a new key cut and PATS programed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts