Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to make sure my car will charge enough driving the street...i dont know what all the stuff takes in amps but it is a typical hot rod..bg400 fuel pump,3 electric fans,electric water pump,electric vac pump,stereo with amp and subs,small nitrous kit,mallory hyfire ignition.

typical 1wire 100amp alternator,i think its called a 10si...pulley ratio is 2.09(1883 alt rpm at 900rpm)to 1000...3500 converter no overdrive so while driving the rpms will be up,but at stoplights and stuff it wont.

should i order a bigger crank pulley?bigger alternator?

pulley is 5.44 now but they offer a 7inch,that would get me to 2423 alt rpm at 900rpm.

running 2 batteries as well.

will my current setup work?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
That is a lot of power for a 100 amp alt to carry. I think you will need more RPM and an alt that has more at idle.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I agree with John, with NOS you need like 140amps, so you would want a 160-180 amp alternator. Hard to get lots of power from one of them at 1800 rotor rpm. I think ours are like 60amps at 2000 rotor rpm, give you 100amps at 2400rpm, and 130+ at 3000 rotor rpm. Our std units are a bit better down low, but dont have enough or barely enough when you hit the nitrous. A bigger crank pulley also allows for a bigger alternaotr pulley, which helps with thepower transfer, which is especially important with a V belt. Be nice to change over to a serpentine system at the same time. 6" crank, and all sorts of options for pulleys for the alternator.

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i can swap to serpentine..march offers a 7inch pulley and a 5 3/4 pulley for the crank in 6 rib..

the nitrous kit has low amp solenoids and only 2 of them.nitrous at the track only and i have a good charger to use while i am there.

i want to do this right so i am listening.

what will the right alternator from you cost me?mounts are 6 and 12 o'clock..6.61 bolt spacing.if you want to pm me thats fine as well.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
One of our Thunder Series is $180 plus shipping, Canadian to YB members. Regular retail is $283 I think, been awhile since I looked. They will have some where between 160-180amps, often 200amps in the top end. Depends on the rotor to stator spacing, a few thousands difference in air gap can make a huge difference in output. If you went with the 7" crank, and I used a 2 1/2 on the alternator, You would have just over 100amps available at idle. 130amps at 1200 engine rpm.

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a site i can buy it from?

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i remember the skull pattern ones..do you still sell them?

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Yes, that is hydro dipping. I dont sell many, so it is kind of a one off thing, which makes them a little expensive as you get about $60 in shipping for just the one alternator. Where as if I was doing 10 it would only be $6 ea. Typically powder coating is $20 extra, hydro dipping, would have to check, but about $100 if just one at a time, polished professionally is $160 with engraving $200, chroming show quality is close to $200 (not good to chrome as it holds heat in), gold plating is like $600. I only do the powder coating myself, everything else is farmed out, and the prices not marked up.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
popular powder coating color:

Skulls

Gold:

Could make a great deal on the gold one if someone wanted to make it fit. It is worth about $1000 to replace now, 135amps, could make it a one wire too. Sell for $350 dollars Originaly built it for a Civic, guy turned out to be a crack dealer, got busted, etc. Just used it as a display for 6-7 years.

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
popular powder coating color:

i will take one just like this,i like the color..the 100amps at idle sounds really good to me....will the serpentine belt stay on better than a v belt?i will order a 7inch pulley.

do you take paypal?

will send a pm with my address

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
you will not be disappointed Will, I love my thunder series alternator!! Best thing you can do to make driving/racing easier....forget about the charger...Ray is a great guy to deal with as well!!! Good luck....Scott

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Thank you Sir, kind words always appreciated.

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you will not be disappointed Will, I love my thunder series alternator!! Best thing you can do to make driving/racing easier....forget about the charger...Ray is a great guy to deal with as well!!! Good luck....Scott
put my order in today...nice to have someone give you great info even if you dont buy from him...his products are showing better numbers than what jegs type stuff shows so i am buying one from him...and you dont get tech advice like this from any of the big companies...thanks ray

william

1 - 13 of 13 Posts