Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
wow... What a round about cost for hoops on a SBF?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its has been 4.6X in decent air, 153mph or 154mph mabe a little faster. I don't go to the track with him very often. It has a Dart SHP block and I put fuel hoops in it, aluminum rods, rebalanced the crank that was not happy prior to my work on it. Whoever tried to balance it did a very poor job of it. It would beat up the bearings pretty bad before I fixed it. We did all this plus I built a new intake and injector setup when we changed it to methanol. I don't think we could have ever run it this hard on gas and not hurt it. It was about .35 slower on E85 or C16, 1.80 glide, 3.73 and A2W IC. Now its 550PPH Atomizers, Turboglide 1.48 first gear, 4.10, Cameron's converter. Still wet sump, timing chain, 1-5/8" shorty headers and had several different turbos on it. Currently a PT Pro Mod 98mm but no quicker than 94mm Forced Inductions turbo was. Its honestly out of head and camshaft. Heads are antique hand ported units off a friend's old Pro 5.0 engine. It is extremely quick for the sum of its parts, full stock interior except Kirkey front seats, all steel but hood, all glass, etc so its no lightweight either. 8.50 CM cage. Its amazing to see it launch with 24psi and be at 38 or 40 in 1sec and not knock the tires off or wheelstand. Sometimes tries to power wheelie about 300ft at top of 1st gear.
Thats awesome our combo’s are very close! We right now are running a borg S485 85 m deal so it’s def not the big dog you guys have! Same as Us on the Vic jrs there old mid 90s heads with O-rings, shp block but steel rod so far [email protected] Hopefully some more left in her. Sleeperstang on here tunes the car so we’re picking away at it...it’s all dependant on how our local track is...we’re in Canada and can’t cross the border currently with this covid crap.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
This one is about done, may get a few more hundredths out of it with more static compression and cheat the heads with larger cam. Still not much left on the table. Hoops run around $800 plus required block and/or head surfacing and gaskets. Any other dry decking, block fill, head repair, etc can be done at established rates with owners consent.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This one is about done, may get a few more hundredths out of it with more static compression and cheat the heads with larger cam. Still not much left on the table. Hoops run around $800 plus required block and/or head surfacing and gaskets. Any other dry decking, block fill, head repair, etc can be done at established rates with owners consent.
Looks like you're only about 25-30 mins from me. I'll definitely be contacting you in the near future for some work. (y)

·
Registered
16,437 Posts
I don't think you need a SR lifters. I have a 363 SBF with a moderated hydraulic cam (242 deg at .050" and .570 lift) that I run Ford hydraulic lifters on. Car ran 8.26 -165 last week in the heat of the day with a 1.26 short time on 24lbs boost while slowly ramping in the boost. My car weighs right at 3550lbs and the car has run as fast as 8.22 at 168 mph thru full 3" dual exhaust including tailpipes.

I also have a 2.84 first gear with a 3.50 rear gear on 295/65/15 Street R drag radials (30" tall). A few days earlier I had a short time of 1.209. This is leaving at 3800rpm with 7lbs boost. It can 60ft faster but right now the car is getting up too high and I'm making some suspension changes to control that.

I temporarily changed to solid rollers years ago and the car didn't pick up anything noticeable and eventually I had a lifter fail which took out the cam. I went back to HR rollers and they work just fine for me.

Reactions: BLUEOVALRACER

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Where are you located?? I just got in some new Fuel Hoops I had made for SBF's to give more room on large bore engines. The 4.380" BS doesn't sound like much difference from a 4.400" SBC or LS but it makes a BIG difference. Also got in my G3 Hemi register plate and new fuel hoops I designed for their 4.460" BS, man what a difference. These hemi engines I'm building are going to be monsters.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
7secTurboLX

What turbos are you running? Where at in PA if you dont mind me asking?

Wheelsup

I also have a similar combo, a little smaller at 321" but Vic Jrs and all also... Should be done in a few weeks. Made a little over 500 to the tire in NA form on pump gas. Only new changes will be camshaft really, besides the S300's. I am running E85 blow through.
I just switched to (two) Turbonetics T76's with the F1-68 turbines...was running T66's with the 68 turbine wheel. I'm in central PA...I usually run at Beaver Springs or Keystone Raceway Park.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don't think you need a SR lifters. I have a 363 SBF with a moderated hydraulic cam (242 deg at .050" and .570 lift) that I run Ford hydraulic lifters on. Car ran 8.26 -165 last week in the heat of the day with a 1.26 short time on 24lbs boost while slowly ramping in the boost. My car weighs right at 3550lbs and the car has run as fast as 8.22 at 168 mph thru full 3" dual exhaust including tailpipes.

I also have a 2.84 first gear with a 3.50 rear gear on 295/65/15 Street R drag radials (30" tall). A few days earlier I had a short time of 1.209. This is leaving at 3800rpm with 7lbs boost. It can 60ft faster but right now the car is getting up too high and I'm making some suspension changes to control that.

I temporarily changed to solid rollers years ago and the car didn't pick up anything noticeable and eventually I had a lifter fail which took out the cam. I went back to HR rollers and they work just fine for me.
Your car is definitely amazing for sure! I've been following your progress here and there over the years. To be honest, I do kind of regret spending the money to go solid roller, but I haven't even fired the car up yet. I spent a decent amount of money on bushed SR lifters, a billet cam and Crower stainless custom ratio shaft-mount rockers, so hopefully, I can keep in one piece even with some street cruising here and there, plus push it into the high 7s at some point.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Where are you located?? I just got in some new Fuel Hoops I had made for SBF's to give more room on large bore engines. The 4.380" BS doesn't sound like much difference from a 4.400" SBC or LS but it makes a BIG difference. Also got in my G3 Hemi register plate and new fuel hoops I designed for their 4.460" BS, man what a difference. These hemi engines I'm building are going to be monsters.
I'm in Cary. My current setup is a Dart SHP Big Bore 347, running Vic Jr. heads with upgraded springs, and a very "old school" PT-88. It's a new combo from motor to rear, but I'm already a little unhappy with a few things I should have done right from the get-go...Fuel Hoops being one of them.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I just switched to (two) Turbonetics T76's with the F1-68 turbines...was running T66's with the 68 turbine wheel. I'm in central PA...I usually run at Beaver Springs or Keystone Raceway Park.
Awesome I live only about 12 miles from Numidia but we always race at beaver springs. They have a new street car class that joe Jensen put together called heavy x. I think your car would be awesome in that class. It’s 1/8 mile heads up most cars are all mid to low 5 sec cars. Last week a car running 6.0x won against an entire field of 5.20-5.30 cars. I hope to have mine there by the end of the season....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'm in Cary. My current setup is a Dart SHP Big Bore 347, running Vic Jr. heads with upgraded springs, and a very "old school" PT-88. It's a new combo from motor to rear, but I'm already a little unhappy with a few things I should have done right from the get-go...Fuel Hoops being one of them.
I know the feeling....

my heads are 223cc still use the 2.055 intake valve and flow almost 330 at .700 Duane Busch did them for me years ago they work very well for a 20 yr old head

I chose solid roller because the engine was originally set up for high rpm N/A racing and it has done very well over the last 15yrs at that So now the only changes it will have is head gaskets and camshaft. When I originally put it together I did the ring gaps for nitrous but never ended up using it.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Mathematically, more RPMs is the same as adding displacement. If the cam timing, valvetrain and ignition are up to the additional RPMs, you will make more power. The variable that usually throws this off are heads, intake and exhaust that can't keep up with the additional airflow demands.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Mathematically, more RPMs is the same as adding displacement. If the cam timing, valvetrain and ignition are up to the additional RPMs, you will make more power. The variable that usually throws this off are heads, intake and exhaust that can't keep up with the additional airflow demands.
I'm hoping the combination of my heads and boost will work in my favor with the new SR cam setup. I'm looking at going to a single plane carb/EFI intake with an elbow down the road to support the additional rpm, but for now I'll try my Victor 5.0 EFI intake and see how it works. Probably my biggest obstacle is the fact that I am trying to make 7 second power through full exhaust with mufflers and tailpipes...I am building 3.5" downpipes to the transmission, adding 3.5" cut-outs (in case the back pressure is just too much to run a 7 sec pass), then I'll neck down to 3" pipe into Borla XR1 mufflers and 3" tailpipes.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Speaking of that, being exhaust restricted combos (smaller headers, full exhaust etc), what characteristics would you expect to see in run data with exhaust that is somewhat limited? EGT difference? Backpressure ratios? Fuel consumption at full power? Fuel or timing requirements? Just wondered if anyone had experience.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Speaking of that, being exhaust restricted combos (smaller headers, full exhaust etc), what characteristics would you expect to see in run data with exhaust that is somewhat limited? EGT difference? Backpressure ratios? Fuel consumption at full power? Fuel or timing requirements? Just wondered if anyone had experience.
Good questions...I would be interested in hearing some feedback on this as well.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts