Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife got rear ended by a Buick Regal, no injuries, but check out my trailer ball, It bent a 3/4" piece of steel. It doesn't appear that anything else is wrong. Just knocked off some of the paint. The pin took a hit as well so that junk. Should I put a new Hitch on the truck? What do you guys think.

·
Registered
51,346 Posts
I'd put a new ball mount on it if you intend tow. I'm not sure the latch on a trailer would latch onto that ball at that angle.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Must have been a good hit...I would like to see a pic of the Regal. Glad the wife's OK...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would just install a new reciever assy ( ball, mount, pin ) inspect the bolts that hold the frame on the truck....good to go

glad you wife is ok

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would replace it myself. But if you like the idea of a hitch that has been hit straightened and possibly weakened. And then if you like the idea of risking it failing while your towing go ahead keep it there. Its only what $40 -50 tops to replace it all? Im just sayin....................

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
The other person's insurance should cover the new hitch AND LABOR to put it on.

So yes, get a new one.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
If you like your truck never drive it with the hitch installed. It works like a lever in a collision and will crush the frame--I have repaired frames that should have been junk but the insurance company wouldnt pay for replacement.

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS42
I would just install a new reciever assy ( ball, mount, pin ) inspect the bolts that hold the frame on the truck....good to go

X3

·
Registered
869 Posts
Replace it. If your luck is like mine Id be pulling my Camaro on the trailer and that's when that hitch would give up.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
I got rear ended by a mini van when I had my 1992 S-10 pick-up,the hitch and bumper got bent and I drove the vehicle after the Police report was made the mini van had to be towed antifreeze and trans fluid all over the street.I make sure my vehicles have a rear hitch.:smt023

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
If you like your truck never drive it with the hitch installed. It works like a lever in a collision and will crush the frame--I have repaired frames that should have been junk but the insurance company wouldnt pay for replacement.

Of course the other side of that is I have the same thing happen as this guy, I had a box truck pulling a trailer, rear end me and my Suburban 2500 was fine, the box truck needed a new bumper!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
glad everyone is ok.on the flip note i got smashed into yesterday after pulling 12 hour shift.me and bud sitting waiting to leave lite and ...bam! guy slams into me bout 60 mph in his new van.said he looked to get his sunglasses.now i own a 2003 dodge ram thunderoad 1500.look at the damage.fucker toook a lick.the factory tow package is a lil different on the thunderoad cause of the kit.i say i got my moneys worth from this truck.ive been hit 2 times in the rear of this truck at high speeds and it totaled both cars that hit me.

·
Banned
13,503 Posts
If a report was filed- CHANGE IT OUT. If not you may be held liable if an accident happened while towing.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wish I had taken pics of mine lastyear. My wife came by and picked up my truck during a snow storm, got 3 miles down the road and was rearended by some chick in a new Ford Taurus at 45mph, bent my hitch all the way to the ground, rammed a hole thru the Taurus motor and never even put a scratch on my truck.

Had a hell of a time bending my reciever back in place.:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts