Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has some experience with them. i am looking at using their off the shelf 4.030 bore -8cc piston for my 408. i am wondering if they will hold up to a 400 shot... any input would be great.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
No they won't hold up to that much nitrous. I can't think of a generic off the shelf slug that will. There are a few shelf stock nitrous pistons but that much spray on a 408 is gonna make it one hell of a motor and to be honest unless you plan on running some really killer heads its gonna be questionable as to wether or not you'll get the benefit of that much nitrous.

I would call Mike Nelson over at Arias pistons. I would cut it a bit short on the stroke myself with that much nitrous as the CH gets a little funky but its workable.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You need a custom piston... Wiseco can build them for you, call and ask for Brian Nutter. He's extremely helpful and knows his stuff. Tell him you got his name from the Bullet!

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
who has some experience with them. i am looking at using their off the shelf 4.030 bore -8cc piston for my 408. i am wondering if they will hold up to a 400 shot... any input would be great.
They'll be fine for a while on a correct tune. We've made 900+ FWHP with both Diamond and Wiseco off-the-shelf's without issue.

I too would suggest customs though. It's not always about the material but more in the design. The difference will be more or less forgiving in your tuning window and the potential for ultimate failure. As noted, Brian Nutter from Wiseco or Nick D' from Diamond will get you on the right path.

As dealers.........we can also get you customs from either manufacturer for less than you would normally pay. We can have a set of nitrous pistons made to our specs just for you.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Call Wiseco and talk to Nutter(x3177). He'll set you up with what ya need.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They'll be fine for a while on a correct tune. We've made 900+ FWHP with both Diamond and Wiseco off-the-shelf's without issue.

I too would suggest customs though. It's not always about the material but more in the design. The difference will be more or less forgiving in your tuning window and the potential for ultimate failure. As noted, Brian Nutter from Wiseco or Nick D' from Diamond will get you on the right path.

As dealers.........we can also get you customs from either manufacturer for less than you would normally pay. We can have a set of nitrous pistons made to our specs just for you.
i am going to give them a call. i am looking at a stroker kit that has that piston and the diamond as a chose in the rotating assembly. there the only thing that freaks me out and that is the 1.2mm compression rings. the piston is suppose to support a good amount of nitrous but i am unsure how much. i guess i will find out tomorrow.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
i am going to give them a call. i am looking at a stroker kit that has that piston and the diamond as a chose in the rotating assembly. there the only thing that freaks me out and that is the 1.2mm compression rings. the piston is suppose to support a good amount of nitrous but i am unsure how much. i guess i will find out tomorrow.
Pffffffft @ 1.2mm.

We're using .043" top and 2nd in the Camaro and the TBSS.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
Whose rotating kit ? I would shy away from a 1.2mm ring for that much spray. I think you'd be better of with a ring that can carry more heat away like a 1.5mm. For long term maintenance. If you plan to freshen the engine frequently you might be better of with a 1.2mm ring for a myriad of reasons.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Whose rotating kit ? I would shy away from a 1.2mm ring for that much spray. I think you'd be better of with a ring that can carry more heat away like a 1.5mm. For long term maintenance. If you plan to freshen the engine frequently you might be better of with a 1.2mm ring for a myriad of reasons.
Been doing 1.2 and less for many years now with well over 500 shots of gas. We ran the same set of rings and pistons for almost 3 seasons with much abuse and bad tunes. We never had a failure.

The heat is distributed through the cylinder wall and dissipated partially by the piston as per it should be. Gas ports aid in keeping the the rings seated and proper ring gaps make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would think the same. but the piston is advertised for nitrous apps. i just want that warm fuzzy feeling before i commit;)

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
There really isn't but I will say that gas ports make the ultimate difference and is a NEED.

Also Wiseco with their GFX rings does more of the correct recommendation as per ring gaps than Diamond does with the Total Seal AP rings. We have not seen any negatives to either of the same. We've used both standard tension and loose tension and both with the same width ring of .043".

We do not fallow either manufacturer's specs as per ring gaps as we fallow our own (it's a learned affair). We are the quickest/fastest in a lot of categories for a reason and the large part of that is within' the power producer.............the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There really isn't but I will say that gas ports make the ultimate difference and is a NEED.

Also Wiseco with their GFX rings does more of the correct recommendation as per ring gaps than Diamond does with the Total Seal AP rings. We have not seen any negatives to either of the same. We've used both standard tension and loose tension and both with the same width ring of .043".

We do not fallow either manufacturer's specs as per ring gaps as we fallow our own (it's a learned affair). We are the quickest/fastest in a lot of categories for a reason and the large part of that is within' the power producer.............the engine.
i always follow with what the manufacturer's want. this piston does have gas ports. i just never dealt with them before. so i am trying to get some feed back.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
i always follow with what the manufacturer's want.
Food for thought. Whose recommendations or specs do you follow? Do you fallow the piston manufacturer as per their scale of ring gap or do you fallow the ring manufactures scale?

Both manufacturers include a disclaimer that their scale is nothing more than a helpful generalized guide and may not be correct for your direct application.

Some ring manufactures may have a recommended gap scale of:

Bore X .0055 top ring/ X .0045 second ring for "Race--150 nitrous or more". And does one think the ring gaps for a 175 shot would be the same or even suitable for a 400 shot?

I'll tell you this is WRONG and I don't care what kind of rings one is running.

The ring gap for the second ring should always be greater than the top ring on nitrous and forced induction.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think Wiesco makes a better piston than Diamond does. That being said I had a set of Diamond off the shelf street rod pistons and total seal rings in my 408. We ran a 350 shot of N20 all of last season or about the equivilent of 80 1/8th mile passes and never hurt the motor. I know for sure it's ALL in the tune. BTW, we have Wiesco boost pistons in the engine now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Wiesco makes a better piston than Diamond does. That being said I had a set of Diamond off the shelf street rod pistons and total seal rings in my 408. We ran a 350 shot of N20 all of last season or about the equivilent of 80 1/8th mile passes and never hurt the motor. I know for sure it's ALL in the tune. BTW, we have Wiesco boost pistons in the engine now.
i talked to wiesco today and was told 250 would be about it. but i am sure that may be way on the safe side. i may just end up with a custom set or do j.e

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
i talked to wiesco today and was told 250 would be about it. but i am sure that may be way on the safe side. i may just end up with a custom set or do j.e
JE's does not offer ample skirt support unless you design a totally different piston than that of their base core. They're fine for a while but the skirts get closed up quick. This makes it very difficult to keep the rings sealing.

PM sent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JE's does not offer ample skirt support unless you design a totally different piston than that of their base core. They're fine for a while but the skirts get closed up quick. This makes it very difficult to keep the rings sealing.

PM sent.
is that right.....

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
for a mostly track oriented vehicle those rings are great. Add in some street use or heavy street use and those gas ports plug up with carbon and the rings get abused.

If its a street engine that occassionaly sees track time I'd personally go with bigger rings. Low rpm is rough on rings becuase you get alot less splash lube.

Been doing 1.2 and less for many years now with well over 500 shots of gas. We ran the same set of rings and pistons for almost 3 seasons with much abuse and bad tunes. We never had a failure.

The heat is distributed through the cylinder wall and dissipated partially by the piston as per it should be. Gas ports aid in keeping the the rings seated and proper ring gaps make all the difference in the world.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts