Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a Wide Band o2 with Alcohol and Nitrous? I am using an EGT meter right now and if it is burning fuel in the header it throws that way off (Which is what I think I have happening). I do not know if using a Wide Band would show a more accurate reading. On motor it shows 1170° of EGT with only 30° timing in the motor usually with low timing it will show too hot like it is lean with that little timing in my case. So When I spray it, it rises to almost 1300° and the motor is fat to just the point of missing on the big end. So I know it is still fat and would like to improve what I have as far as tuning tools if that will help. thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
We are switching from EGTs to A/F 02 readings, for just the reasons you stated. For the time being, rely on Plug Reading, Vacuum, & the Time Slip. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Fofo. I have issue's with reading the plugs, with the engine running on alcohol the plug is ALWAYS snow white even when it is so fat it has a miss. So I have been tuning with the time slips and listening to the engine. I do not have a vacuum pump either lol. Low buck racer...I know that is one of my next moves though.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm wondering why accuracy of the EGT's is in question? Sounds like they are doing their job, but you might get it running clean first, as fofo said, then the egt numbers will be more useful.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been working on cleaning up the tune and I am going in the right direction just don't know how far. Just widdling away at it. There is more power there just don't know how much. I can run a [email protected] with a 22 jet, and a [email protected] with a 28 jet. My opinion is there is a decent amount left in the tuning. With the 28 jet over a motor pass I pick up about 12-13mph is all. I have been reading and seems like most people pick up closer to 20mph on that size of a shot (250HP).
Am I off base to think that or not?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Has your fogger been flowed and given good baseline tune-ups? With the fact that spark plug reading on alcohol can be challenging, sending a system in to get flowed makes even more sense. It will probably be cheaper in the end and help you get to a cleaner tune-up in a shorter time period. Just a suggestion.

We will need more info on the entire set-up to go any further on tuning. The more details given the better the advice you will get. To me it seems like that little dime is running pretty good, it can always get better though I guess.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The system I installed myself and just got some baseline spreads to start. I think the 22/16 jet is real close. I can leave with 28° of timing no problem and it runs well.
As the jets go up I adjust but I have not found the same happiness with the bigger jets just yet. I need to get the engine side a little better on fuel with full timing in it and start again with the Nitrous. I may have it flowed over the winter when make some changes. I have 2 more outlaw races left. September 20th and November 1st I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts