Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

1962-`1966 Honda GP Motorcycles
did this Individual Pipe to a Cone on their 1 cyl 50cc, 2 cyl 125cc, 4 cyl 250cc, 5 cyl 125cc, 6 cyl 250cc- 350cc World Championship winning GP Bikes ....., 21,500 RPM with Breaker Points Ignitions , 1962 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbHQJvkNh1Uhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbHQJvkNh1U

Isn't the 3 Step pipes a form of this individual pipe with a Tapered Cone at the Exit ?

Headers , Kinda a Best of Both , 3 Steps and a Merge Collector ?

All the Naturally Aspirated Pro's can't all be wrong, Pro Stock, NASCAR- GM, Ford, Chrysler, F1--100's of Millions $$$$ Budgets , V-12's 6 into 1's, V-10's 5 into 1's, V-8's 4 into 1's , Ferreri, BMW, Cosworth, Lotus, BRM, Jaguar, Mercedes, Renault, Ilmor, Toyota, Honda...

Honga 3.5 liter, V-10 @ 20,000 rpm ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJkl4Agf4c...:cool:
Even in a highly competitive atmosphere, compromises are necessary. Although an exhaust pipe for each cylinder will always be the very best, that does not mean that all designs will be the same.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Even in a highly competitive atmosphere, compromises are necessary. Although an exhaust pipe for each cylinder will always be the very best, that does not mean that all designs will be the same.
As I understand it.

We live in a 14.7* per sq inch of H2O @ Sea Level, A Ocean of air Pushing upon us from every direction a 100 Miles tall by 26,000 Miles around the Earth ?

A V-8 fires 4 Cyls per 1 rotation of Crank (360*) Not all on the Same side , back and forth, side to side ?

So a Individual Pipe firing 1 Time every 720* of Crank rotation pushing High Pressure Exhaust out against a Ocean of 14.7*? How High is the Ex Pressure at the End ? Why the Tapered increase to a Cone ?

So a Pipe not Talking to each other ((Sucking-Pressure drop when the Ex Valve Closes and 14.7* rushs in to fill the Void ) is a Good thing ?

I Guess the Pro Stock Bike V-Twin 160" Buell is the Best Example I can think of , using a 3 Step Pipe ? ;)

Seems the Junior Dragsters have Been running the Tapered Cone Pipe forever !

Would a Taper Cone Pipe be Better than a 3 Step? I would think the Buell's would at least Try one ? :smt115

Thanks ! :cool:

·
Registered
667 Posts
The Honda sixes are 2-strokes and it has long since been proven that megaphones are about the worst possible way to make power on one, well designed expansion chambers put all that junk to rest, easily doubled the horsepower.

Bigtime, how's that set-up sound? had thoughts of doing that, didn't know you had already.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
The Honda sixes are 2-strokes (NOPE) and it has long since been proven that megaphones are about the worst possible way to make power on one, well designed expansion chambers put all that junk to rest, easily doubled the horsepower.

Bigtime, how's that set-up sound? had thoughts of doing that, didn't know you had already.
Honda 6's ARE DOHC , 4 Valve per cyl 250cc-350cc at least till 1967 ! ! Look again ?

Honda did not go to two-strokes till later and Back to 4 storkes for the NR-500 2 Cyl , 8 valve !

Now Honda runs a V-5 cyl, 1000cc= 60" = 250+ Horses ...5+ horse per cu inch ! ;)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I was told that zoomies were mainly for the down force they provide. And that NHRA had very strict rules on them due to the performance advantages of laying them back more. It seems they are getting a lot more use in the RvW type cars in the last couple years.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm going to guess the zoomies and there angle have alot to do how well they scavenge or "pull" exhaust out of the engine.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The angle of zoomies has an affect on downforce, nothing more.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
The angle of zoomies has an affect on downforce, nothing more.
Are you sure ? Not Facts , just My obsrivation from afar

Last year Funny Cars started laying their Zoomies back and made .005 to .006 Gains , 3.85 to 3.79 Robert Height Record ? Performance from Laid BackZoomies - Forward TRUST ?

Also John Force and others were Out of Control, Wrecking - Aborting runs cause of Lack of down force - Traction , NHRA said hold on , you guys messing up the Track and Schedule , thus the Minimun Angle RULE on Zoomies !

On Factory Stock cars with the BLOWERS, are they running Zoomies are 4 into 1's ? Wouldn't Zooomies be Better on a BLOWN engine ? :rolleyes:

41 - 52 of 52 Posts